I quit the Car Hunt Club!

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I hunted in my Camry for the last 3 years. While I will always love that faithful old bitch, she always did the job, it was time to get myself a truck. My wife even agreed for crying out loud.IMG_1142.jpgTruck interior.jpg I have loved Tacoma's since my best friend had one in college. I was looking at some newer, but used, models since I usually dont buy new. When I took this guy for a spin I had to get it if the price was right. After much back and forth, I got them to go below the TruCar price which I use as my benchmark for a good deal.

Welp, here she is. 2017 Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD Off Road package. I didnt want to pay the extra gas prices that go along with the 4WD model and the locking differential feature will hopefully work in most situations I get myself into. I dont know that I have ever loved an piece of steel and plastic so much in my life. Hopefully this will be my Sons first truck ( he is 7).

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Nice looking truck.

hope they corrected all the problems with the 16 and other earlier mods.

My 2012 sucked.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Nice truck them new models are nice and roomy to hope it lasts you long time they sure got the reputation to

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Rear brake system had to replace drums, pads Wheel cyl.....
Springs, crack and no replacment.
AC leaked from new they stated no problem then when out of warranty stated ines need to be replaced, recharge and go from there.
Fuel mileage sucked, range sucked.
Smog air phmps failed and then again later. Smog valves failed...
spent more time in the shop than any other truck I have owned. More cost also.

Wife has a 2011 that does not have the smog stuff and got.better MPG and limited probems.

the 16 and 17 are having a good bunch of rear end problems along with auto trans problems along with drive line problems and shutters.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nice......i really like the 17' model Tacomas and was thinking hard about selling mine and buying one, but I think I'm going to hold on to my 02 a bit longer and just buy another car.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Nice!! Once I got my first truck, don't think I will be without one. Speaking of truck, the rear end of my Nissan Titan is going to have to be replaced. Thought it showed a couple of symptoms over the past few weeks. Well, it's sick now. Btw, a friend has a similar truck as you. He loves it.

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
2017 Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD Off Road package. I didnt want to pay the extra gas prices that go along with the 4WD model...
That a nice looking truck and I hope it serves you well, but I have never understood the concept of having an "off road package" in a truck that is not 4WD. What is the gas issue you refer to, doesn't the Taco stay in 2WD until you put it in 4WD?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
That a nice looking truck and I hope it serves you well, but I have never understood the concept of having an "off road package" in a truck that is not 4WD. What is the gas issue you refer to, doesn't the Taco stay in 2WD until you put it in 4WD?

thanks Stiab. Basically, the offroad package has bigger wheels, better suspension and locking differential feature that is 'supposed' to help out if you get stuck. The also just look nicer because of the meatier wheels and better suspension. Beyond the gas ( which you may be right about), the 4WD package was about 5k more and I just dont feel like I would need it that much. My buddy has a similar locking differential feature on his truck and he swears by it but I admittedly have no experience with it. I may just add winch at some point and that should be plenty. You are probably right, its mostly just a marketing gimmick but there are some advantages to the OR package.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
NICE!

I'm in the car hunt club and will be for the forseeable future. Next vehicle is a Prius V. Its a company vehicle so its worth it to never see a bill for the car. I can't wait to see the guys I hunt with when I load a deer into the back of it.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The also just look nicer because of the meatier wheels and better suspension.
I have a friend in SC who got the same truck a couple years ago, looks just like yours except for the color, and they are attractive vehicles. His previous ride was an older Taco in 4WD that he put over 300K on with nothing but routine maintenance. He does not do off road, but tournament fishes and uses it to pull his boat, never had any boat ramp or other problems with it. Congrats!

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Wow. Congrats! I hunted out of my Corolla for 8 years. Now I have a truck to drive. Did you ever have a deer strapped to the roof? Love to see pics.

By the way, I ended my Car-Selling-Club for now, as someone bought my Corolla yesterday. :)

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Wow. Congrats! I hunted out of my Corolla for 8 years. Now I have a truck to drive. Did you ever have a deer strapped to the roof? Love to see pics.

By the way, I ended my Car-Selling-Club for now, as someone bought my Corolla yesterday. :)

haha, no never had to strap one to the roof. The trunk room in the Camry is surprising for a car and never had trouble fitting my 'massive' 6 pointers in the trunk. I do remember the first time I pulled up to Stuffy's and popped the trunk. I am sure they have seen it a million times, but it sure seemed like he was laughing inside.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
The difference in price between a 2whl drive and a 4whl drive you get back in resale value.

I rarely if ever use 4whl drive though.

Beautiful truck and I hope you enjoy! Just curious, what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
The difference in price between a 2whl drive and a 4whl drive you get back in resale value.

I rarely if ever use 4whl drive though.

Beautiful truck and I hope you enjoy! Just curious, what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

I have a 2016 ext. cab. 4X4 and its says I'm getting 19-22 around town. I haven't personally check it yet(paper and pen). Love the truck but I hate the 6 speed transmission. It will shift into 6 gear at 35 MPH in town...I don't like that. Its creates a lot of down shifting. Now you can put it in manual and keep it in 4 th gear and do fine. The ride is a lot better than the older models. It has power but you have to play your way through the tranny to find it. On the 2016 models the TRD off road versions have a lower gear ratio than the sport models which I feel sure helps with this 6 speed transmission. Mine is a TRD off road and has a 3.90 gear. I believe if you change that rear gear to a 5.38 with that 6 speed tranny...you will have one bad ride.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I thought I had read they made some improvements on the transmission for the 17' model but not sure if thats true.

I do know this.....IMO the 16' & 17' model Tacomas are by far my favorite as far as looks go.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Nice......i really like the 17' model Tacomas and was thinking hard about selling mine and buying one, but I think I'm going to hold on to my 02 a bit longer and just buy another car.

Some updates on mileage. Just took a long trip and have some numbers.

Average daily driving is consistently 18.5 to 19.5, so let's say 19.

On highway trips I got up to 25 mpg but when I hit the mountains in VA it lowered it to about 23.5.

I had to tow a 12 x 6 uhaul jam packed on the way back and got a whopping 11.5 mpg. Not so great but I don't tow anything consistently (yet anyway).

Overall I am very pleased with this truck and the mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NICE!

I'm in the car hunt club and will be for the forseeable future. Next vehicle is a Prius V. Its a company vehicle so its worth it to never see a bill for the car. I can't wait to see the guys I hunt with when I load a deer into the back of it.

All I can say is .........damn.......if you drive a Prius up to our club house it will likely not leave in the condition it came in.......Gots to draw the line somewhere!! It used to be a YUGO but now the Prius is the line.LOL

Willie

Twelve Pointer
All I can say is .........damn.......if you drive a Prius up to our club house it will likely not leave in the condition it came in.......Gots to draw the line somewhere!! It used to be a YUGO but now the Prius is the line.LOL

Wakehunter32...you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

witler

Eight Pointer
Nice ride, good hunting. Being raised on a farm, trucks were always around, can't figure how anyone could not have a truck. I have talked to 1st time truck owners and they say they don't know how they lived without a truck.
Again, good hunting and don't forget fishing.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
haha, no never had to strap one to the roof. The trunk room in the Camry is surprising for a car and never had trouble fitting my 'massive' 6 pointers in the trunk. I do remember the first time I pulled up to Stuffy's and popped the trunk. I am sure they have seen it a million times, but it sure seemed like he was laughing inside.
I got both my deer done this year at Stancills. They chuckled the first time I drove in and had the deer in the back seat (wife's Christmas gifts were in the trunk at the time.) To actually make the facebook page you better roll up with your deer in a Camaro or Geo Metro. And, they do fit in smaller trunks. I could likely fit two or three ENC deer in the back of a Camry.

Well, the other option was a Ford Fusion. Believe it or not, there was less than 1/2 inch of ground clearance between them. The Prius is the bigger version, so a more upright seating position and a lot more cargo room. I like the fact that I can fit two dog kennels in the back of the Prius and still have plenty of room with the rear seats folded down.

But the big thing was the seating position. If you drive a lot, you will appreciate that. I don't like unwinding myself after a 5 hour drive to a clients and having my back sore because my hips are stiff.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
my dad hunted out of a 74 ford pinto back in the late 70's for one deer season....I got a pic of a nice 9pt shoved up in the back.... somewhere....ill try and find it.....