Anyone Catch Article on Mossberg "Short 14" Shotgun"

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It'd be the only gun I'd have a barrel sticker on,,,

"Danger Zone" (with an arrow pointing to front)
Or
"Thug Thumper"

Last edited:

double

Twelve Pointer
Might want the paperwork on why its not an nfa item nearby. Lots of officers may not be versed in the law. I would hate to mess up my day or night because an officer decided to take me in.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Might want the paperwork on why its not an nfa item nearby. Lots of officers may not be versed in the law. I would hate to mess up my day or night because an officer decided to take me in.

Unless I've been led astray by a it comes with a letter from the ATF stating legality. I would at least take a picture of the letter on my phone. Carrying a paper copy wouldn't be a bad idea either.

<>< Fish

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What makes it legal vs. the .28 ga judge that didn't make it to market?

Other.

Judge is designed to be fired by one hand. Handgun.
this is other. Not designed to be fired with one hand, not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

Same thing stands for the 1919 as an old rule. They can have 10 to 12" barrel and be other. Cant be shot with one hand and no stock to fire with shoulder.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
$389 seems like a lot to spend on what's essentially a shortened Maverick 88 pump that normally retails for $200.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It stated from what I seen to be the 590.
it was always the stronger better mod they did for police and military.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Is it more like a 500? Did they change the action in any appreciable way? Or is it a recycled action?

Im sure they had to do like ruger with there charger and others to make the barrel not fit a normal gun.

I read it is a 590 2 3/4
most all 590 were 3" so I bet they took a 590 shortened the action and barrel for 2.75 so it will not take the standard.

I have a few on the way for testing.
Will post when I get them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Got to say I like mine.
Going to do a lot of riding on the atv and in the truck.

Great compact gun.
Cant wait to try the short shot shells. Picked some of the 1.75" up the other day.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im sure they had to do like ruger with there charger and others to make the barrel not fit a normal gun.

I read it is a 590 2 3/4
most all 590 were 3" so I bet they took a 590 shortened the action and barrel for 2.75 so it will not take the standard.

I have a few on the way for testing.
Will post when I get them.
Charger barrel will fit right on a regular 10/22 and vise versa. I have a Charger action that I changed over to a rifle by just putting in a stock and putting a 16" barrel on it. Says Charger right on the side of the action.

BTW
It is perfectly legal to switch a Charger over to a rifle but not a rifle over to a Charger per ATF.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Charger barrel will fit right on a regular 10/22 and vise versa. I have a Charger action that I changed over to a rifle by just putting in a stock and putting a 16" barrel on it. Says Charger right on the side of the action.

BTW
It is perfectly legal to switch a Charger over to a rifle but not a rifle over to a Charger per ATF.

10-4 never owned one of played much with it.
That was what a ruger rep told me several years back when they come out and was talking to them at the NRA show.

Yep fine to make a pistol into rifle but as you stated not a rifle into pistol.

was yours a take down or standard?

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
10-4 never owned one of played much with it.
That was what a ruger rep told me several years back when they come out and was talking to them at the NRA show.

Yep fine to make a pistol into rifle but as you stated not a rifle into pistol.

was yours a take down or standard?
Standard, first generation. I had the bug bad for one like most folks. After having it about two years I like most people that get them decided they were too heavy to carry and cumbersome. They were not a pistol and not a rifle, so I just converted it into a rifle. I still have the barrel and stock here in case i decide to go back.

At one time there was a publication that if you changed them over you couldn't go back, but they changed that. I happened to get checked by the ATF and asked the agent and she pulled up the info. showing all the stuff that was published back and forth on those things. They had several publications out about them I kept them just in case it ever came up.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Got to say I like mine.
Going to do a lot of riding on the atv and in the truck.

Great compact gun.
Cant wait to try the short shot shells. Picked some of the 1.75" up the other day.

Are you going to put the adapter on the shell elevator? Amazon has them for $15 now.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I got one in my cart.
Said not needed uet makes it run better and load better.

Have not played with the shorts much. Not at all with this one.

cmfireman

It would be an awesome truck gun, but I wonder how understanding uneducated LEO's would be if stopped. I would at minimum carry a copy of the ATF letter with me, but that may not keep you out of cuffs for possessing a "sawed off shotgun".

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
In the phone age and ability to get on the net anyplace tell them to google it or call someone.
never had a problem with an ar pistol but you need to keep your cool and don't go off on a tangent with them.

ST8ER

Ten Pointer
I shot one on Saturday. The recoil was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Definitely a cool little gun.