First time mouth call attempt

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I tried a mouth call for the first time the other day and I don't know if I can handle it - although I'm probably doing a lot wrong. My first noise from it made my it vibrate on my tongue so much it was beyond irritating.

Is this just part of getting used to it or am I completely doing it wrong?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep it with you all day and keep playing with it. I cut the back edge off of mine - just more comfortable to me...you probably should have started learning this months ago- good luck

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I tried a mouth call for the first time the other day and I don't know if I can handle it - although I'm probably doing a lot wrong. My first noise from it made my it vibrate on my tongue so much it was beyond irritating.

Is this just part of getting used to it or am I completely doing it wrong?

some folks gag, some complain of the tickle you describe so you just have beginning acclimation syndrome. if you cant get past it other calls killem just fine.

all kinds of good info on you tube about starting with the mouth call.

I also recommend you tape yourself. that feedback will help. tone is variable, cadence or rhythm isnt as negotiable.

in this stage you cant practice enough, solo car travel is best.

that way you wont worry about anyone else being in ear shot and reinforcing just how pitiful you sound. :)

Good Luck, confidence in using one will be a big plus for you in hunting them if calling is part of your hunting strategy.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Watch some videos on it. That's probably the best way to figure it out. That and practice.

I trim about 1/8" of the tape on all sides of mine to get a better fit. Also, I found that there are a couple of types of latex cuts that work for me, and then there are some that I just can't run. When I first started I practiced until I thought I knew what I was doing, but still wasn't quite getting the right sound. I bought a multi-pack and figured that out. It took testing 6-8 calls of different styles to figure out that the traditional (or modified) V-cut was what I wanted.

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks, everyone. It's just such a surprise the first time you try it b/c you can't really envision it until you try it.

...you probably should have started learning this months ago- good luck

Oh, I know! I just happened to see one while I was browsing the WalMart aisle. Cheap so I tried it. I'm comfortable with my slate call.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
sky hawk is correct, as you try different calls you will find a cut or design that runs better for you. thin reed three reed calls sure seem to work with very little air flow hawkman. to me they would be a great starter call.

What are you using now?

see midwest turkey call supply for 10,000 and 1 calls to confuse you. :)

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
When they say choose the cut that works best for you, you need to figure out which side of your mouth/tongue are you blowing air through, left, right, middle. Choose cuts that accommodate that. Then go from there. I force air through the middle, ended up triple reeds batwing and ghost cuts work best for me.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cut it to fit you better, practice more, carry it around in your mouth longer to get used to it. Some people quit without understanding that you have to train the muscles, these are muscles you rarely use in that way, for some it's not possible to sound good until you build those muscles.

Last edited:

country

Ten Pointer
Lot of good YouTube videos now to help. Didn't have this type of information when I taught myself through trail and error (lot of errors)

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Look up the video mouth call mechanics on YouTube. Lots of good information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks, everyone. It's just such a surprise the first time you try it b/c you can't really envision it until you try it.

Oh, I know! I just happened to see one while I was browsing the WalMart aisle. Cheap so I tried it. I'm comfortable with my slate call.
Keep workin on it... as it is a useful tool to have in your bag of tricks! I hardly ever use mine but I have it in my mouth when the encounter gets close.....I love a box call or slate

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Try and pick up a "Clear" call.. Its likely your using a raspy call, those will vibrate more. I know Quaker boy has a couple that I like. In particular the SR Double and I believeee the SR Triple. For the most part mouth calls arent all that much different from brand to brand so I am certain other brands will have clear calls as well. If you take a look at the latex on the call youll notice some crazy looking cuts on yours more than likely. Those are usually more raspy. The clear ones I am talking about, well they dont have any cuts on them at all.

But as someone else said... Definitely get yourself a pack of different ones. Youll find you like certain ones more than others.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Some calls are just hard to use, an others that are easier to blow air across them to work. I bought 1 a couple if years back and had to blow a vein to get it to work. I have 2 right now that are easy to use and sound good.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard some guys sound like bad barking dogs and still made a turkey gobble with a mouth call. Just don't call too loud. Too Loud can make a bird run the other way or shut up. I have a problem of getting too loud with certain mouth calls.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have heard some guys sound like bad barking dogs and still made a turkey gobble with a mouth call. Just don't call too loud. Too Loud can make a bird run the other way or shut up. I have a problem of getting too loud with certain mouth calls.

its cause its so darn fun hard to stay low especially with real raspy one!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Like others have said use youtube step by step instructions with visual. I would fr sure start with something simple like a double reed Quaker Boy makes and old boss hen that is about as easy as any to use its simple double reed doesn't require lot pressure and less of that vibration. If you end up cutting to fit be very careful stay away from latex or it'll be ruined. Start with learning a cluck only and go from there to yelp don't try learn all at once get them down pat and the rest will come in time

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
A mouth call is kinda like a ball cap,you try several before you find one you like...same for a a call,you'll try several before you find a few that you're satisfied with...I've got a dozen or more but usually stick to three or four that suit me

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

them big rock turks you hunt wont be runnin. they be comin.

although it might be best to call softly up there so them big ones dont run over you in their excitement.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
A lot of responses and grateful for them all. I found a second one in my box of stuff. Didn't know I had it. I immediately got that high sound from it but nothing else. The first one I got sounds more like a turkey fart than anything else! I don't know the brands but I'm sure they are cheapie from Wally World. I'll keep trying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DozerD

Six Pointer
The primos A frame double with double cut was the only call I could use when I started out practicing with diaphragm calls. What I think helped me was the small and flexible frame. Since learning on that call I've been able to use other calls after trimming them down as others have stated. Don't give up!! I took me a long time to learn them and I still have to practice a lot prior to the season

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder if the sound of Daffy Duck would help or hurt....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I got strangled on a piece of loose mouth call tape once and coughed thru the call. Indescibable doesnt do justice to the sound.

Turkey i was calling to didnt mind a bit. he gobbled at it and kept coming :)