Force Fetching...Experience or Tips?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I started force fetching the pup yesterday (he's 9 months old, German Wirehaired Pointer.) I'm using a very improvised table, essentially a rope between two deck posts and the little round table from target that we use for eating on the deck, but I should have a picnic table soon.

I'm going by Freddy King's youtube channel.

For those of you that have done it, any pointers or pearls of wisdom?

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I can't tell you from professional force fetch experience but what I would suggest is to look into Evan Graham's "Smartworks" program on FF. I frequent several dog forums (suggest you do the same) and have learned a lot over the years. Evan Graham personally participates on one particular site and is always answering any questions one might have. His method/program is viewed as one of the very best. If there's one thing I extracted from these forums long ago was to get on a professional program and use it. Youtube snippets on training can help in some instances but most are not a true program. Plenty of other good ones out there (Bill Hillman, Mike Lardy are primo too) that one can choose from.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I can't tell you from professional force fetch experience but what I would suggest is to look into Evan Graham's "Smartworks" program on FF. I frequent several dog forums (suggest you do the same) and have learned a lot over the years. Evan Graham personally participates on one particular site and is always answering any questions one might have. His method/program is viewed as one of the very best. If there's one thing I extracted from these forums long ago was to get on a professional program and use it. Youtube snippets on training can help in some instances but most are not a true program. Plenty of other good ones out there (Bill Hillman, Mike Lardy are primo too) that one can choose from.

This smartworks is the way to go about this you have to be very careful with force fetch as I have seen it turn off a lot of dogs. Evans Book will lead you through this the correct way with understanding how pressure works when pressure works and how much pressure works I'm going through this right now for the third time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
This is helpful. Smartworks seems to be one of the most popular. I am on a couple dog forums, just wanted to know what some others have done. Some of the other forums turn into p!$$!^& contests and can be less than helpful. I hadn't heard of Fowl Dogs before today so I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
This smartworks is the way to go about this you have to be very careful with force fetch as I have seen it turn off a lot of dogs. Evans Book will lead you through this the correct way with understanding how pressure works when pressure works and how much pressure works I'm going through this right now for the third time.

Thanks. Gus is somewhat "soft," In that it doesn't seem to take much pressure and he does what I ask as soon as he understands it. So far working on hold has gone alright, which means the next step is going to be really hard.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Thanks. Gus is somewhat "soft," In that it doesn't seem to take much pressure and he does what I ask as soon as he understands it. So far working on hold has gone alright, which means the next step is going to be really hard.

I have a 11 month old female I'm working with at the moment that requires very little pressure my last dog was total opposite and yes once they start getting it it's much easier some dogs can go through it in a week and have it some take several months. It's up to the dog more than the trainer. Just move at his pace not yours.

Last edited:

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Smart works is the way to go as far I am can recommend. The most important thing I would venture at saying is if you start with one program stick with that program all the way through. You will avoid confusion with yourself and the pup. The system also should help you deal with any setbacks that will be encountered. Good luck.