Browning Lever Action

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Last year I bought a BLR in 308, because lever actions are my hands down favorite but I wanted something with a little more power and range than my 30-30 had. I absolutely love the gun but the trigger is horrendous, which so far hasn't made a difference in the field but when shooting from a bench it makes me jerk it bad. Can this be fixed on this rifle?

Side question- anyone know how much it would cost to get sling swivel studs put on it? I know they make DIY kits but I really don't want to mess up the wood.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a BLR in .308 about 30 years ago and the trigger was heavy but clean, so I lived with it until the gun was moved along to someone else.

Browning makes a couple of lever guns where the trigger travels with the lever and they can be an absolute booger to "clean-up". This guy reportedly has a reputation for getting BLR triggers down to a clean, 3 pounds or so. I think he charges @ $120 for the service.

http://www.neiljones.com/

PHONE 814-763-2769 - EMAIL njones@mdvl.net

17217 Brookhouser Road,
Saegertown PA 16433

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Might have to look into that 41magfan. Mine does travel with the lever and I've heard most gunsmiths won't hardly mess with those guns because they're very hard to put back together. The weight isn't too bad but it travels so dang far.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Might have to look into that 41magfan. Mine does travel with the lever and I've heard most gunsmiths won't hardly mess with those guns because they're very hard to put back together. The weight isn't too bad but it travels so dang far.

I understand, creep and over-travel drive me nuts.

IIRC, there's three (possibly 4) bearing surfaces that must be worked over in unison and most gunsmiths just haven't spent the time to learn to work on them. If I had an otherwise good shooting BLR (mine was a predictable 1.5" gun from the bench) I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on a trigger, as it can only makes a good rifle that much better.

If you end up getting Mr. Jones to work it over, report back and let us know how it does. I wouldn't mind having another BLR if I can get a decent trigger job done.

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
I have several pieces of Neil's reloading equipment and if the trigger work is as good as the gear he makes, it will be well worth the money.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Have taken over 30 deer with my BLR 308...i believe it's the finest all around deer gun ever...150 gr power points or SST are very accurate and hammer deer

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Have taken over 30 deer with my BLR 308...i believe it's the finest all around deer gun ever...150 gr power points or SST are very accurate and hammer deer

I would agree completely. Mine will shoot 1.5MOA and I've been reloading 150gr SSTs for it

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They're better in a 243. :cool: starting to regret trading mine off, but it was just sitting in the safe.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I've always been told that both the BLR and BAR are really a pain to adjust the trigger on. Personally prefer the 99s over the 88s and BLRs, but they are excellent rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Have taken over 30 deer with my BLR 308...i believe it's the finest all around deer gun ever...

That's because you haven't had the lil PLASTIC gear that cams the bolt back chip/break teeth.

I've had to replace so many in my 'smithing days,,,,,,,,,well.

You may never have a problem, and some don't.

Sounds like you got a good one.

They do have a short stroke and are accurate.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
They're better in a 243. :cool: starting to regret trading mine off, but it was just sitting in the safe.

Almost bought it in 243, but I went with 308 incase I decide one day to use it for bears or get the chance to go out west for elk.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Personally prefer the 99s over the 88s and BLRs, but they are excellent rifles.

I really wanted a 99 in 308 or 300Sav. But I had never seen one with my own eyes until I moved to NC, back home no one had one, and I was afraid buying used online without actually being able to inspect it.