Cold

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
15 degrees for low this morning at 0730 AM on our hill,,,,,it was 18 at 530 and upto 17 now

No blueberries for us this year I reckon

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Cold here on the coast Emerald Isle Cape Carteret area, about 26 degrees this morning and cold again tonight. The Dogs kiddy pool completely frozen over first time since the cold weather in January..

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Damn all this global warming....��

It's happening dude. It's pretty obvious. A few cold spells won't change it.

I'm curious as to what Agusta is doing? Are they protecting their Azelias? If so? To what lengths? There are a lot of jobs I would not want. But being on the maintenance crew for The Masters right now might top the list. I bet sleep is hard to come by.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I'm curious as to what Agusta is doing? Are they protecting their Azelias? If so? To what lengths? There are a lot of jobs I would not want. But being on the maintenance crew for The Masters right now might top the list. I bet sleep is hard to come by.

I've heard they they had to give up on them this year. Of course in the past they have tied on blooms and forced dogwoods to bloom and planted them around to give it color so I am sure they have a plan

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Idk if it's called global warming but anyone who thinks that there isn't anything going on with our climate has got their head in the sand...... can us peons do anything about it ????.... probably not , but make no mistake there is something going on......

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
One more point..... we will never know whether it's man made or natural because of the amount of money that is made on both sides...... the answer is in the middle

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mount Etna just spewed more bad gases into the atmosphere than man has created since he's been here, seems a little egotistical to think man can do a whole lot about it....

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Maybe do about mount Etna, but you still can't deny that something isn't going on. I'm not saying it's man made or it's natural but there is something going on. A warm winter, a cold march..... these mean nothing. There have always been these things but the glaciers melting, islands going underwater, the years getting warmer..... something is going on. Now will we live to see the things that could happen if nothing is done, probably not ( we'll not me I'm almost 50 ) but our grandchildren will see it. I believe that everything was put here for man to use but man gets greedy and we have to live with our consequences......

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Maybe do about mount Etna, but you still can't deny that something isn't going on. I'm not saying it's man made or it's natural but there is something going on. A warm winter, a cold march..... these mean nothing. There have always been these things but the glaciers melting, islands going underwater, the years getting warmer..... something is going on. Now will we live to see the things that could happen if nothing is done, probably not ( we'll not me I'm almost 50 ) but our grandchildren will see it. I believe that everything was put here for man to use but man gets greedy and we have to live with our consequences......

well the intent of my original post was the WEATHER in the last few days,,,,not climates,,,,,,,but since we are going there, I can play,,,,,,,

the earth is always changing,,,,,,,has been for millennium,,,,,,,,,but our egos want to make it about "man",,,,,,,,does man have some effect,,,sure,,,,so did the dinosaurs, manmade fires back in "prehistoric days" and meteor impacts,,,,,,

does this site also jumps on that bandwagon,,,but look at the graphs,,,,, especially the periodicity of the glacial and interglacial periods,,,,,0 equals today

http://serc.carleton.edu/eslabs/cryosphere/4a.html

timeline_ice_ages_456.gif

an excerpt:

Throughout its history, Earth has experienced several periodic swings in climate. For example, Earth was entirely ice-free and temperatures were hot enough for turtles and palm trees to thrive at the poles during the Early Eocene Climatic Optimum around 49 million years ago. On the other hand, during the Last Glacial Maximum, which occurred between 26,500 and 19,000 years ago, ice sheets covered nearly one third of Earth's surface. Today, we are somewhere in between extremes. Snow and ice exist year round near the poles and seasonally at lower latitudes. Glaciers cover about 10% of Earth's surface and can be found on every continent except Australia.​

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I agree with the swings in climate down thru the ages.... I'm just saying there is something going on and I believe whether it's natural or man made that man is speeding the process. I will bet the farm that everyone who is my age ( 46 ) and older will say that it doesn't snow the way it used to..... i

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I understand the earth spins on a tilted angle vs the sun. I understand the orbit's shape. I understand the reason we have seasons, the reasons oceans swirl clockwise in the North, Counterclockwise in the South.

What I don't understand is that.....if all of this stuff has been the same for millennium, why the changes? What changes have to happen to reverse the glaciers, and then eventually they start to grow again?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I understand the earth spins on a tilted angle vs the sun. I understand the orbit's shape. I understand the reason we have seasons, the reasons oceans swirl clockwise in the North, Counterclockwise in the South.

What I don't understand is that.....if all of this stuff has been the same for millennium, why the changes? What changes have to happen to reverse the glaciers, and then eventually they start to grow again?

Wonderful questions in my estimation,,,,and what the "climate change experts" should be focusing on,,,,the "why" of past glaciations and subsequent retreats,,,,,,

Then, and only then, will their climate models ring true,,,,,

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer

Having worked on a top-100 course before, I would assume their budget and staff is plenty large enough for frost cloths or whatever else it takes to make it right.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
WM is spot on, we as the human race are spewing carbon into the air big time, but Mt Etna has us beat on the greenhouse gases thing.
We are probably right on a normal cycle line globally and IMO there ain't squat we can do about it.
Lots of folks making lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on "feel good" efforts to fix our climate.
Good luck morons, you are doomed to fail at changing the global climate, no matter what you do.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I have heard that when the weather gets out of whack, they build greenhouses around the bigger focal points of the course and control their own weather. Again, I have no idea if that's true or not, but it doesn't seem impossible considering the budget I'm sure they have for this event.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know about the Azelias but I can tell you with 110% confidence that their trees are going to look sharp 👌🏼. Guess who's company has that contract? 🤔

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I had read somewhere that the earth's orbit changes it's oval shape to go a bit closer to the sun at some points and a little farther away at others. This would give short hot periods with longer and longer periods of slightly colder this would then cause the polar caps to grow resulting in more sunlight reflection resulting in continued ice growth. I think man's impact so far is more temporary compared to the natural forces that drive the changes as in the chart that WM posted. Look at an oil spill or severely polluted waters for an example. They cause immediate impact but over time correct themselves. Can they have an affect on creatures alive today, even causing some to go extinct, sure can, but that stuff happens too. It's why we do not have T-rex's running around now and we weren't there then.

Part of the issue with any of this is that there is a lot of speculation. On both sides.