OMG!!! Downtown Raleigh is ABLAZE!!!!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
And already most of it is under control. The major pics of this will be on the national news tomorrow. I know exactly where this construction site was and how far along it was. if the whole thing went up, it was probably visible from low Earth orbit!!!! The site is HUGE!! And very close to existing residences and businesses :(

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was at the hockey game tonight and I opted to avoid downtown and cut through centinal campus instead. I'd been right there had I gone through downtown. Didn't know about it till I turned on 11 news.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The Crane fell and took out powerlines with it.

Trying to negotiate downtown right now must be a nightmare. Glad you made it home safe moose!

[video=youtube;erbDECwRkvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erbDECwRkvo[/video]

Last edited:

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I work a block from this site and walk by this place everyday. Loads of lumber in this half of block. Glad no one was injured, and that the firefighters were on top of it. Not sure if they'll let us in tomorrow, or if we'll have power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4ncsu

Ten Pointer
The Crane fell and took out powerlines with it.

Trying to negotiate downtown right now must be a nightmare. Glad you made it home safe moose!

[video=youtube;erbDECwRkvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erbDECwRkvo[/video]

Guess that proves that fire will melt or bend steel.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Two friends live in the building it was next to that it jumped to, but made it out just fine.

I wonder if it wasn't "Landlord Lightning."

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
From what I'm hearing only one fireman hurt and it was a cut from falling glass and not to serious. People not sure where this is exactly its the site of the old greyhound bus station. They were building these new apartments on that site. Its only a block and a half from 42nd Street Oyster Bar. If it had been the day before the wind was unbelievable and it would of been far worst. If it had been tonight being Friday, St Patricks Day and March Madness the area would of had much more people in and around that neighborhood. Amazing it appears at this point its really only property damage.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My office is one block from the fire. The building is without power and they're reporting the upper floors have smoke in them. We'll see if I can go to work on Monday.

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
I was about three blocks from the fire when it started. I've never seen anything like it. I was basically downwind and there was so much flame we couldn't see the crane, but I heard what sounded like 2 explosions that turned out to be the crane hitting the ground. Took this picture next to the Natural Sciences Museum. Sparks flying over the top.
3ec77372ed105a7c0fb030954419c3bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
They said people in Clayton found burnt particles yesterday, and the doppler picked up the flames and smoke like it was a storm. Saw the crane in person yesterday. It is a partially melted, twisted heap. I can't fathom what the temps were at it.