Lease Question (Timber Company)

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
My lease is through a timber company. I got a call from someone more local to the lease than myself that they were cruising it and marking trees.

Should I expect a call to remove my stands, or do they typically just cut them down?

Is the lease likely to be cancelled for the coming season?

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
They do not cut trees with stands or tree steps in them, I don't see why the lease would be cancelled unless you cancel it. I've hunted timber land for years and they are always cutting somewhere. You will probably have a nice cutover to hunt for several years if you can hang on to it.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
My lease is through a timber company. I got a call from someone more local to the lease than myself that they were cruising it and marking trees.

Should I expect a call to remove my stands, or do they typically just cut them down?

You have the timber companies contact info I assume ? If that's the case, contact them directly if possible , by directly I mean ftf , or a phone call to the person who you pay your lease to.....a few questions will clear this up quickly. Direct communication is always the best thing to have working for you....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've never had a timber cutting company leave a tree that had a stand in it, they destroy them rather than take them down. They will also not give quarter to box stands, tripods..or anything else, and probably have a secondary market selling used game cameras as well as trees.
Most of the time the cutting is contracted, and those guys get in and get out as fast as they can without regard for anything but profit. The timber company may repair the roads(or may not), but they will not reimburse for damages to anything hunting related.
Good luck and be thankful they let you know about the cutting, most I've dealt with don't.

truthbetold

Four Pointer

I was given 24 hours and lived about two hours away. They removed (and set aside) my stands that weren't locked on and cut just above my stands that were locked on. I felt lucky they were that considerate. I would go get them at first notice. I had to search for mine at 10 p.m. the day after they cut the area.

Last edited:

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I'm sure it varies from company to company....I've been on leases that require removal of stands at the end of season.....some didn't care....some loggers would leave trees with stands, some wouldn't.....some loggers we had would let you hunt the property while they were cutting as long as we were not near where we were working.....I'd call......

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
You have the timber companies contact info I assume ? If that's the case, contact them directly if possible , by directly I mean ftf , or a phone call to the person who you pay your lease to.....a few questions will clear this up quickly. Direct communication is always the best thing to have working for you....
Yep...left a message for them but I can't go into their office ftf.

I'm sure it varies but I've had all my gear in an area destroyed when they cut timber.

I was given 24 hours and lived about two hours away. They removed (and set aside) my stands that weren't locked on and cut just above my stands that were locked on. I felt lucky they were that considerate. I would go get them at first notice. I had to search for mine at 10 p.m. the day after they cut the area.

I think I have plans for this weekend then.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I would not expect a call. If you know they are marking, thst is your cue to get your stuff out if you want it in one piece. Different companies do cut around or try to, big skidders can wreck havoc on stands.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would not expect a call. If you know they are marking, thst is your cue to get your stuff out if you want it in one piece. Different companies do cut around or try to, big skidders can wreck havoc on stands.
This^^^

If you have stands you want to keep, get them out now. They may not be cutting tomorrow, but if they're flagging it, they will be in there usually within a month or two.

Even if your stands are undamaged
Or not stolen, once they're done cutting they usually leave such a mess on the ground that it may be difficult to impossible to get to them.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Quote Originally Posted by bshobbs View Post

This^^^

If you have stands you want to keep, get them out now. They may not be cutting tomorrow, but if they're flagging it, they will be in there usually within a month or two.

Even if your stands are undamaged
Or not stolen, once they're done cutting they usually leave such a mess on the ground that it may be difficult to impossible to get to them.

I have hunted timber/paper company land for decades and I would have to agree with both of these quotes.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I have also hunted pulp wood land for 25 years under several different companies. Some tracts of land are just thinned out, others are completely mowed down, nothing left standing.

Usually a few days before they start to cut timber they will put long streamers of usually pink marking tape at the entrance. Helps log trucks to find the right place.

Last edited:

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I did get a message from them, and they will be clear cutting it. So off I go in the short term future to collect stands.