Check this out!!!!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
View attachment 54692

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was watching a hen in a field during an afternoon hunt when a coyote walked out. She walked to the edge of the field about 30 yards from him and proceeded to start feeding again.........she wasn't overly alarmed by his presence.

Unfortunately for the coyote he walked within range of Hevi Shot #6's!!:cool:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have a good tale on this subject.

there was a small coyote that hung out near a river bottom field. watched him scatter a drove opening day.
later in the week he attempted a sneak on three jakes.

whenever he crossed an imaginary line one of the jakes would run a few steps to him, he would take a few steps back. jakes continued to mill around feeding. this happened several times. they were too far for me to help the turkeys by shooting the coyote.

finally the jakes tired of the game. the three jakes ran towards him together chasing his little butt out of the field. didnt see any of them again that sit.

never ever seen or heard of turkeys chasing off coyotes.

I was just talking about this yesterday with my friend who also hunted that field. He had a hunt ruined by a small coyote that same year. I doubt he ever caught a turkey. :)

i guess if they all buggered away every time they saw a coyote they would stay afraid.

That's a great pic Eggman, thanks for sharing.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I've been told by a wildlife biologist that coyotes get a bad rap as far as turkey predators. He said studies suggest coyotes aren't very good at catching grown turkeys. Nest raiders and bobcats are a different story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I watched first hand last year a full grown coyote jump on my hen decoy with all four feet. Knocked her over and he knew the gig was up. My two young hunters sit with shotguns ready at 8 yards. By the time they figured it out he was gone. Didn't even have time to draw my pistol. The hens around us went crazy. They may not eat turkey every day but they aren't starving to death.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been told by a wildlife biologist that coyotes get a bad rap as far as turkey predators. He said studies suggest coyotes aren't very good at catching grown turkeys. Nest raiders and bobcats are a different story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I have had 2 different wildlife biologists tell me that coyotes are good for wild turkey populations. They eat the nesting predators more than the turkeys. They both did say that with any coyote population comes with reduced gobbling .