Okay changes to deer seasons and meat for your larder

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Since this has come up somewhere else on this message board discussing another topic-

If the WRC proposes changes to seasons, limits, and methods for deer hunting that result in fewer opportunities to take deer for meat will that negatively affect you, positively affect you or have no difference?

Will you oppose any changes solely on the fact your opportunities to fill your freezer are reduced?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I will still kill what I need to fill the cooler.....

That is what hunting is about.
They could close deer hunting down and I would still fill my freezer.

Would also use bait and corn.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I usually only eat three deer a year since the teenage eating machines grew up and moved out, so no.

lowery63

Four Pointer
Yeah would follow all laws because i only need a few to put into freeze then i hunt for muture bucks after nov 1 anyways

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I eat roadkill. I will always have a full freezer. I shot 4 last year. My Dad shot one. My son shot one. My pastor gave me one. I got one roadkill. I have plenty of meat.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
It wouldn't effect my freezer, between my 2 kids, wife, and myself we can easily get our fill even if it were reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
It should not affect my opportunities because I don't maximize my opportunities now. Since hunting seasons are so long, I choose not to hunt on some days for one reason or another.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I generally only kill 1 or 2 deer a year. As long as I get ~ 50+ lbs of meat, I am happy. I am also for any changes that benefit the resource whether or not it benefits ME personally. I'll figure it out.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
I generally only kill 1 or 2 deer a year. As long as I get ~ 50+ lbs of meat, I am happy. I am also for any changes that benefit the resource whether or not it benefits ME personally. I'll figure it out.

Same here.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer

Yep. Two deer are enough for me.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Since it's a hypothetical useless poll, I'll say I'll kill everything that moves until I have what I deem necessary to last me.......

Seeing as how you couldnt kill a deer even if it hung itself from the batcave chandelier, what would you do??

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Since it's a hypothetical useless poll, I'll say I'll kill everything that moves until I have what I deem necessary to last me.......

Seeing as how you couldnt kill a deer even if it hung itself from the batcave chandelier, what would you do??

I don't shoot does where I hunt because there isn't a lot of deer.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

Yeah right..................

You still didn't answer the question. What if the management philosophy had nothing to do with antlerless deer.

Your original question said nothing about shooting does. Last time I checked, a buck was a deer too.......

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I guess we can kiss the "Hunters for the Hungry" program goodbye. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. :wave:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
So. Shoot a buck for meat.

I'd rather folks do that than does.

But wouldn't that interfere with your master plan for a trophy minded state? So you'd rather everyone shoot a 1 1/2 year old 3pt? How could you live with yourself? How would you be able to bash the state of NC's management philosophies and biologists?

huntngolf

Six Pointer
how hard is it really to get deer meat to eat from other hunters?? I know a guy that will skin your deer if you give him some deer meat and he was turning away people last year.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
But wouldn't that interfere with your master plan for a trophy minded state? So you'd rather everyone shoot a 1 1/2 year old 3pt? How could you live with yourself? How would you be able to bash the state of NC's management philosophies and biologists?

I've never claimed NC should be managed as a "trophy" state.

I have said I have no problems with a statewide 2 buck limit or even a 1 buck limit in the mountains where deer numbers are lower.

But a statewide 2 buck limit isn't exactly trophy management.

Last edited:

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
It wouldnt make no difference for me. My only real wish for it, i only gun and muzzleloader hunt, would be to push the start of ML up 2 weeks, gun up 2 weeks and give us 2 weeks into january for gun. Bow season could be 2 weeks longer. Wouldnt bother me a bit if i could only have 2 buck and 4 doe tags an no more. I never tag out anyway

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It wouldnt make no difference for me. My only real wish for it, i only gun and muzzleloader hunt, would be to push the start of ML up 2 weeks, gun up 2 weeks and give us 2 weeks into january for gun. Bow season could be 2 weeks longer. Wouldnt bother me a bit if i could only have 2 buck and 4 doe tags an no more. I never tag out anyway

I was told the NCWRC wants to have deer management meetings in May to discuss possible changes to seasons and bag limits for the 2018 regulations cycle.

We will see. Right now bear management is on the agenda.

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
As my handle indicates I don't hunt as much as probably most folks here on the forum. If I have a good season I might take two but usually I only get one and some seasons I don't get any. So it wouldn't affect me if they change the rules.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
CRC...

I am no biologist. The NCWRC is doing a fantastic job. I support them 100% in what ever decision they see fit to manage a heathy herd.

As for your question my answer is no. I will continue to kill as many deer as need be legally. If I don't eat the meat it is given to people who greatly appreciate it.

Goodluck with you 2017 internet hunting...

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Well next year the does better steer clear. Don't worry I'll shoot your share [emoji6]...