Iowa advancing bill to legalize some rifles for deer hunting

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I am not happy about this...at all. Nothing good will come from this if it passes, and for that reason, I doubt that it will. Lots of concerned folks up here are against it.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Amazing how I hunt on the coastal plain with a center fire rifle and have hurt no one all the years. Iowa's retarded.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ohio did a similar thing a few years ago and it went over well. Straight cased rifles will typically have the same range as rifled sabot slugs. I didn't read about SBR, but it did allow a wider range of pistols to be used as well.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Then, why don't they allow centerfire rifles during their gun seasons?

Because the Iowa DNR manages the herd for trophy quality. NC, like most of the south, manages for opportunity. Comparing the two are apples and oranges. Iowa manages for big bucks, period. allowing centerfire rifles will increase the number of bucks killed, decreasing herd quality over time. Iowa does not have a one buck limit for residents like most other Midwestern states. I can legally kill 3 with my own tags, and because of the party hunting during gun season clause, I could hypothetically kill an unlimited number of bucks if I had enough buddies with tags. In laymans terms, it's about $$$$. Lots of hunters flock to Iowa because of the likelihood of killing a big buck. If that opportunity goes away, so does all the money those hunters spend in Iowa. The Iowa DNR isn't stupid. Limiting harvest, especially for nonresidents, increases trophy quality. Allowing more liberal harvest decreases trophy quality. The DNR has stated numerous times that the herd is stable and they would like to keep harvest numbers where they are. allowing rifles will increase harvest numbers, eventually resulting in fewer big bucks. Limiting gun season weapons to shotgun or muzzleloader keeps a lot more deer alive. In 2016 over 25 200+" bucks were scored at the Iowa Deer Classic, and those were just the ones people know about. That doesn't happen by accident. it is by design to keep demand for Iowa deer tags high.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Then, why don't they allow centerfire rifles during their gun seasons?

Range. It forces you to be closer for the shot. Iowa gives you 11 days to shoot one with a gun. More if you hunt with a muzzleloader.

Also, some parts of the state it can (kind of) prevent road hunting, using your truck window as a rest and shooting one 400 yards across a field.

lowery63

Four Pointer
Say it again badlandbucks but some people would argue u to death because u hunt for trophy size deer so wish nc would get on board with managing for bigger deer state wide

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Say it again badlandbucks but some people would argue u to death because u hunt for trophy size deer so wish nc would get on board with managing for bigger deer state wide

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wish in one hand and $4!t in the other and see which one fills up faster....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Iowa's shotgun only rules (modified to add muzzleloaders) has way more to do with the traditional methods of hunting out there and less to do with managing for "big bucks",,,,,,the traditional method of hunting (non-bow) is man drives out there,,,,they do a LOT of them,,,,,,,,,

a non-resident can pretty much draw a modern firearm tag every year,,,,it's the bow tag that is the harder ones,,,,,,,,

the bigger deer are a result of genetics, season dates and habitat,,,,

the scenario about shooting across a field from the road in your truck is already unlawful there,,,,,and with the Iowa ML regs, I can use the Extreme type muzzleloaders with optics with a range as long as any straight walled pistol cartridge,,,,,,,

I see this passing there,,,,,,,,,,but not that I care, as I have only bow hunted there,,,,,,,,

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
If I were hunting an area like Iowa with no rifle season I would, just as woodmoose said, buy a custom long range ML and be just as content.
Do areas like Iowa have bigger bucks?? Very certainly.
Does having more conservative seasons affect them having bigger bucks?? Definitely.
Are the season restrictions the only reason that they have bigger deer? Nope, not remotely.
I enjoy hunting mature whitetails but I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. I target specific bucks and enjoy the chase, however, if I really like the looks of a 3.5 yr old buck then I'll shoot him happily and put him on the wall.
I don't judge others for the deer they choose to take unless they also complain about small bucks and choose to shoot every 1.5 yr old they see. (That annoys me to no end). My main objection for trophy mandated restriction by the state is due to the vast differences in herd density and age structure from county to county. Giving blanket season restrictions to manage for bigger deer is not a good idea, what one area would benefit from may hamper another area with a different density or age structure. I'm not against changes to benefit the health of our herds but I rather doubt any changes made will be within the median of change. By that I mean that I doubt that the changes will be those that will be a help to areas needing help while not being a detriment to other areas. When we receive changes they tend to be extremes to one direction or another, and that is of concern to me.
As things change I'll adapt and continue to hunt and teach my kids the way I feel they should be . Also, I won't judge what another chooses to shoot, as for all I know even though it's smaller than my least buck it very well may be the biggest that hunters ever seen, or has reasons to shoot it other than its rack size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Iowa's shotgun only rules (modified to add muzzleloaders) has way more to do with the traditional methods of hunting out there and less to do with managing for "big bucks",,,,,,the traditional method of hunting (non-bow) is man drives out there,,,,they do a LOT of them,,,,,,,,,

a non-resident can pretty much draw a modern firearm tag every year,,,,it's the bow tag that is the harder ones,,,,,,,,

the bigger deer are a result of genetics, season dates and habitat,,,,

the scenario about shooting across a field from the road in your truck is already unlawful there,,,,,and with the Iowa ML regs, I can use the Extreme type muzzleloaders with optics with a range as long as any straight walled pistol cartridge,,,,,,,

I see this passing there,,,,,,,,,,but not that I care, as I have only bow hunted there,,,,,,,,

^^^^^ this guy is correct

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Because the Iowa DNR manages the herd for trophy quality. NC, like most of the south, manages for opportunity. Comparing the two are apples and oranges. Iowa manages for big bucks, period. allowing centerfire rifles will increase the number of bucks killed, decreasing herd quality over time. Iowa does not have a one buck limit for residents like most other Midwestern states. I can legally kill 3 with my own tags, and because of the party hunting during gun season clause, I could hypothetically kill an unlimited number of bucks if I had enough buddies with tags. In laymans terms, it's about $$$$. Lots of hunters flock to Iowa because of the likelihood of killing a big buck. If that opportunity goes away, so does all the money those hunters spend in Iowa. The Iowa DNR isn't stupid. Limiting harvest, especially for nonresidents, increases trophy quality. Allowing more liberal harvest decreases trophy quality. The DNR has stated numerous times that the herd is stable and they would like to keep harvest numbers where they are. allowing rifles will increase harvest numbers, eventually resulting in fewer big bucks. Limiting gun season weapons to shotgun or muzzleloader keeps a lot more deer alive. In 2016 over 25 200+" bucks were scored at the Iowa Deer Classic, and those were just the ones people know about. That doesn't happen by accident. it is by design to keep demand for Iowa deer tags high.

This guy is spot on correct.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
If I were hunting an area like Iowa with no rifle season I would, just as woodmoose said, buy a custom long range ML and be just as content.
Do areas like Iowa have bigger bucks?? Very certainly.
Does having more conservative seasons affect them having bigger bucks?? Definitely.
Are the season restrictions the only reason that they have bigger deer? Nope, not remotely.
I enjoy hunting mature whitetails but I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. I target specific bucks and enjoy the chase, however, if I really like the looks of a 3.5 yr old buck then I'll shoot him happily and put him on the wall.
I don't judge others for the deer they choose to take unless they also complain about small bucks and choose to shoot every 1.5 yr old they see. (That annoys me to no end). My main objection for trophy mandated restriction by the state is due to the vast differences in herd density and age structure from county to county. Giving blanket season restrictions to manage for bigger deer is not a good idea, what one area would benefit from may hamper another area with a different density or age structure. I'm not against changes to benefit the health of our herds but I rather doubt any changes made will be within the median of change. By that I mean that I doubt that the changes will be those that will be a help to areas needing help while not being a detriment to other areas. When we receive changes they tend to be extremes to one direction or another, and that is of concern to me.
As things change I'll adapt and continue to hunt and teach my kids the way I feel they should be . Also, I won't judge what another chooses to shoot, as for all I know even though it's smaller than my least buck it very well may be the biggest that hunters ever seen, or has reasons to shoot it other than its rack size.

Custom ML is the way to go for sure.
Not many folks will Pony up the $2,000.00 to $4,500.00 for a 5 day or 8-9 hunt.

Iowa can be awesome that time for sure.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For under $1000 you can get into a smokless muzzloader that out shoots most factory centerfire rifles out to 300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Weekender

Twelve Pointer

Thanks for your answer.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
A straight walled cartridge won't do anything that a good ml or slug gun won't do in the hands of your average shooter. Much ado about nothing...and if a fella wanted to reach waaaayyyyyy out and touch one, it can already be done in Iowa.

Last edited: