6.5 Creedmoor

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Any of you done much hunting with this round? Thinking of getting one. Research shows ballistics as good as .308 with less recoil. Just wondering if any of my fellow NC hunters had much field experience with it.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
A buddy of mine is using a 6.5 Creedmoor. To be honest, I think he jumped on the trend of this being the hot topic caliber more than buying it for a specific reason or benefit over other calibers. The one thing I can say is he is constantly complaining about how hard it is to find ammo for it and how expensive it is when he does find it (Typicallly $30 - 40/box). In comparison I use a 30-06 with a limbsaver recoil pad that the recoil isnt too much harder than his 6.5 (more because of the limbsaver pad than the caliber). I can buy ammo pretty much anywhere, a large price range depending on what I want, and its always in stock.

Just something to consider.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I keep hearing about it. Was at gun show on Sunday and there was a guy looking at a Ruger precision and wanted it in 6.5 rather than 308. I googled it and what I found was that Hornady came out with it to be used in short action target rifles, especially the AR-10. Apparently it's a "perfect blend" and is perfect in every way (except for price of ammo as stated above).
http://www.range365.com/65-creedmoor-long-range-king#page-5

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I keep hearing about it. Was at gun show on Sunday and there was a guy looking at a Ruger precision and wanted it in 6.5 rather than 308. I googled it and what I found was that Hornady came out with it to be used in short action target rifles, especially the AR-10. Apparently it's a "perfect blend" and is perfect in every way (except for price of ammo as stated above).
http://www.range365.com/65-creedmoor-long-range-king#page-5

I'd say this falls into the law of diminishing returns meaning the improvements you get are not substantial in comparison to the amount of money you'll have to pay extra for it over the standard 308 round. In my opinion, I'd say you dont "need" a 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting. You may "want" one because its trending or if you do a lot of long distance target shooting and you want that added ballistic coefficient that you cant get with a 308 but as far as hunting goes, the two rounds and even the 30-06 are all pretty similar out to about 600 yrds which is farther than I and most other would shoot at an animal anyway. I'm attaching an image i put together for a conversation on a different forum reference the difference between the 6.5 and the 30-06. The 308 falls roughly in the middle. As you can see, the bullet drop on the two rounds is only 2.5" difference at 600yrds. I know this ballistic chart is accurate because I take my 30-06 to a long distance range out in Autryville and can hit 600yrd targets all day long.

View attachment 54733

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I'd say this falls into the law of diminishing returns meaning the improvements you get are not substantial in comparison to the amount of money you'll have to pay extra for it over the standard 308 round. In my opinion, I'd say you dont "need" a 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting. You may "want" one because its trending or if you do a lot of long distance target shooting and you want that added ballistic coefficient that you cant get with a 308 but as far as hunting goes, the two rounds and even the 30-06 are all pretty similar out to about 600 yrds which is farther than I and most other would shoot at an animal anyway. I'm attaching an image i put together for a conversation on a different forum reference the difference between the 6.5 and the 30-06. The 308 falls roughly in the middle. As you can see, the bullet drop on the two rounds is only 2.5" difference at 600yrds. I know this ballistic chart is accurate because I take my 30-06 to a long distance range out in Autryville and can hit 600yrd targets all day long.

View attachment 54733

I agree. If the cost of factory ammo ever comes around then I think it will become as popular as the 7mm-08 or even more popular.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The only difference in it is for factory ammo.

Guns cost the same, bullets, powder and primmer the same.

So that said it was worth it for me.
I already loaded 6.5 so had bullets and powder that will work.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ammo I buy for mine is $32 and cabelas has always had it in stock. The 308 ammo I use is $29 a box so really not that much more, however the ballistics are much better with +200fps velocity and significantly higher BC and only marginally lower energy.
If your going to be doing standard hunting where a long shot is 200 yards there really isn't a big benefit to the 6.5, pretty much any caliber will do just as well. However if your thinking of getting into longer range hunting the 6.5 creedmoor is great and has a leg up on most other short action cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackCreek

Spike
I have been searching for a "cheaper" heavy barrel 6.5 myself the past few weeks. I guess I'm caught up in the fad as well. I'm drawing blanks about every where I go in my search though unless I want to shell out over a grand for a rifle "which I don't" the ammo I've seen on the shelf has been in the low to mid 20's for the 6.5 now I'm sure the match ammo is much more but I felt it was very reasonable, much better than my WSM's that I've been shooting.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the responses. I have looked at a lot of the stuff you guys are commenting on. I will be reloading so cost really not that big an issue. I guess what I was wanting to know is what kind of performance are shooters of the 6.5 seeing on game. Specifically white tails. I have studied the ballistics in depth. My thinking has been if it is as good or closely comparable with the other rounds mentioned and produces less recoil why not give it a try. I have done 90% of my hunting with a 25.06 and was just looking for a little something different.

bgdeer

Spike
Thanks for the responses. I have looked at a lot of the stuff you guys are commenting on. I will be reloading so cost really not that big an issue. I guess what I was wanting to know is what kind of performance are shooters of the 6.5 seeing on game. Specifically white tails. I have studied the ballistics in depth. My thinking has been if it is as good or closely comparable with the other rounds mentioned and produces less recoil why not give it a try. I have done 90% of my hunting with a 25.06 and was just looking for a little something different.
Can't do much better than the 25-06. I've killed them from 20 to 395yds.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing at all wrong with a 25-06, I can't comment on deer but the yote I shot with a 6.5 dropped on the spot and the exit was phenomenal. I've spoken with several guys that used them on everything prong horns to elk and heard no reports that lead me to believe it's any less effective than 270, 308, 30/06, 7-08, etc. as far as price for rifles, they're starting to show up in entry level rifles like the Ruger American Predator, and the savage 11. I've got a RAP and it shoots great for a $350 rifle, if your wanting any sort of chassis/precision/long range set up or a semi-auto, then your looking at a minimum of $1000 unless you get a Savage 11 lrh model for $800.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I would assume you won't be able tell a difference between the 25-06 and a 6.5 on deer but the 6.5 would be a better target rifle.

With that said, don't let that stand in the way of buying the Creedmoor. You can never have to many guns...lol
I own a 25-06 and would like to get a Creedmoor.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I've done a decent amount of shooting with my brothers 6.5 and am impressed to say the least. It is almost a clone to the .260 Rem and both tout excellent accuracy and long range ballistics (it stays supersonic a few hundred yards past a .308 Win which promotes long range accuracy) and the Hornady 143gr ELD-X hits whitetail like a truck. My next rifle will most likely be a 6.5 as it is very soft shooting even from very lightweight rifles.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
the 6.5 was a solution looking for a problem for the average guy. The ballistics are not THAT much better then the lowly 308..........its a good round, but it doesn't do anything that the 308 wont do. As for recoil, almost all the 308s I have dealt with were mild mannered and didnt have much recoil at all.......of coures there are exceptions to that........the ruger ultra light in 308 i had was a bear to shoot with 165s. the combination of the stock design and lightweight were killers for that gun.
Backcreek, check whitakers guns and see what they have available in 6.5. they may have some Howas in stock that are damn good rifles.

IF I were to build a strictly bench gun, it would be a 243 AI with a long throat and rock on....best of all worlds ballisticaly and recoil wise.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
the 6.5 was a solution looking for a problem for the average guy. The ballistics are not THAT much better then the lowly 308..........its a good round, but it doesn't do anything that the 308 wont do. As for recoil, almost all the 308s I have dealt with were mild mannered and didnt have much recoil at all.......of coures there are exceptions to that........the ruger ultra light in 308 i had was a bear to shoot with 165s. the combination of the stock design and lightweight were killers for that gun.
Backcreek, check whitakers guns and see what they have available in 6.5. they may have some Howas in stock that are damn good rifles.

IF I were to build a strictly bench gun, it would be a 243 AI with a long throat and rock on....best of all worlds ballisticaly and recoil wise.

^ This is absolutely correct inside 500 yards, which is where 95% of most hunters and shooters play. Drop and wind drift are very similar between the 2 rounds and even though the .308 typically shoots heavier bullets at decent speed the 6.5 projectiles are more ballistically efficient and maintain velocity via high BC versus weight. Once you surpass 500 yards the 6.5 really shines in terms of drop, wind drift and accuracy as the round stays supersonic much farther than the 308. One downfall to the 6.5 is a slightly shorter barrel life...but with an average of 3,000-5,000 rounds it still exceeds the count most shooters will ever experience.

As for ultra light rifles the trick is to have a stock with proper geometry that pushes straight back into the shoulder versus up into the face. My .308 Kimber Montana (5#2oz sans scope & rings) is a very soft shooter with 168gr projectiles as straight stock eliminates most all of the upward force into the cheek.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
^ This is absolutely correct inside 500 yards, which is where 95% of most hunters and shooters play. Drop and wind drift are very similar between the 2 rounds and even though the .308 typically shoots heavier bullets at decent speed the 6.5 projectiles are more ballistically efficient and maintain velocity via high BC versus weight. Once you surpass 500 yards the 6.5 really shines in terms of drop, wind drift and accuracy as the round stays supersonic much farther than the 308. One downfall to the 6.5 is a slightly shorter barrel life...but with an average of 3,000-5,000 rounds it still exceeds the count most shooters will ever experience.

As for ultra light rifles the trick is to have a stock with proper geometry that pushes straight back into the shoulder versus up into the face. My .308 Kimber Montana (5#2oz sans scope & rings) is a very soft shooter with 168gr projectiles as straight stock eliminates most all of the upward force into the cheek.

I will agree on the Montanas being soft shooters in lightweight rifle to a point. They are great for all standard calibers but even they get snappy and nasty in the magnums.
Honestly even at 1k the 308 is not inferior to the 6.5 in the hands of a skilled shooter. Knowing drop and wind drift and good reliable optics make the difference at the 1k line more then the choice of cartridges do. Saying that, like I said if I was going to build a gun for long range shooting and limit myself to a short action, I would go with a 243 AI and have the throat cut long and sling 105 grn 6 mm bullets out there and be happy. The 243AI in that configuration has the edge over even the 6.5.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I will agree on the Montanas being soft shooters in lightweight rifle to a point. They are great for all standard calibers but even they get snappy and nasty in the magnums.
Honestly even at 1k the 308 is not inferior to the 6.5 in the hands of a skilled shooter. Knowing drop and wind drift and good reliable optics make the difference at the 1k line more then the choice of cartridges do. Saying that, like I said if I was going to build a gun for long range shooting and limit myself to a short action, I would go with a 243 AI and have the throat cut long and sling 105 grn 6 mm bullets out there and be happy. The 243AI in that configuration has the edge over even the 6.5.

I totally concur that a skilled shooter can put even lesser cartridges into small groups at distance.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
If you want the cool factor with some advantages to the .30 caliber the 6.5 seems good. Its cool factor and newness make it more expensive in the base rifle and new brass and 6.5 projectiles from what I have seen. There is more demand for 6.5 cal currently. That's what would make me go .308. The .308 rifles I have seen can be a little less than a 6.5CM. .308 components and loaded ammo are easy to find. My $.02

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'm a big fan of 308s, but I'm finding that I like the 6.5 creedmore better for any type of medium ranged shots. Once you hit past that 1K marker the bigger mags/ultramags really start to earn their keep by still have the velocity and energy to impact the terminal ballistics.

herman

Six Pointer
I got a savage with 24 in barrel,the first of 2014.The more I shoot the creed the more I like it.
Only took one deer with it and it was using 123 a-max at 200 yrds.Shot behind the shoulder it went about maybe 25 yds before pilling up.
Since the 260 came out years ago it has been my go to deer rifle. Have taken many deer with it at 500 yds and less.
Over the years have taken deer with many different calibers and they make all deer dead.
I have never shot a factory load in the creed so don't know how they would do.Been reloading my own ammo since the early 1950's.
According to my chrony I get about the same velocity with a little less powder in the creed.
I don't shoot completion any more because of health issues.I have one 260 that I put a custom barrel on,took it to a 600 yd match and it averaged 2.5 in for 20 shots,thought that was pretty good.Let a friend shoot the same rifle busted 4 eggs in a row at 300 yds .
This is the first day at the range shooting the creed with my hand load.