Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roanoke stripers?

Does anyone know how much they normally sell shad for in the large tanks on the left going into Weldon and/or at the store in Weldon (Muddy Banks???)? I have never stopped at either place. Thanks.

The shad are usually $10 per dozen. But I am not sure that the guy at the camp ground has been open much. The word is that everyone has been having a very difficult time catching bait. I have even using the large bass minnows from the bait shop on roanoke Ave. in Roanoke Rapids. He charges $5 for the large minnows and 9 for the XL. My family put near 55 in the boat today using them.

Four Pointer

I went by the shad place near the campground on Monday and it wasn't set up this year. I tried calling Muddy Banks but the number was disconnected or no longer in service.

I bought my bait at Bargin Land tackle on Roanoke Ave, like Country RN.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Thanks Mack. I tried behind the Gaston dam. The ones I caught were about 2" and only a handful. Several boats behind the dam were having a hard time getting bait.

Spoke with one of the guides on the river, Jeff on the Proud Mary, he said that everyone is having a hard time catching bait.

Greg of Greggofish mentioned on his Facebook that bait was tough.

Thoughts of going to one of the bridges on Gaston?

Thanks for all the information, Mack it really helps out.
    We used to catch a little bait around some of the bridges on Gaston, but it was never as easy as it was at the dams. We only did it in a pinch. If they are not behind the dams, I doubt the bridges will be any better.

Spike

Made our 1st trip of the year yesterday.The bait guy is still selling bait but currently does not have any shad. He said it has been very hard to find shad in the lake this year.He has his tanks set up at the old tire store close to the ramp. All he had was jumbo bass minnows. We put in around 6:15. Fishing was real good at the ramp in the rapids for about the 1st 45 min. We anchored up and managed a few on top water and fluke minnows. We finally headed down river and started drifting the bass minnows. We ended up the day with 30 or 35. one that was 23", one just under 22", and another just over 18". All of the other fish were 15-16". We drifted along with another boat who had caught shad at Gaston early that morning. They were catching 3 times as many fish and the majority of those were keepers. I think the type of bait makes a huge difference. I will not go back without shad.

BUZZZZ

Four Pointer

Thanks for the report Buzz. Planning on a couple of trips this weekend. With the bait situation as it is I went by a local bait shop and bought 23 doz @ $4/doz extra large, just in case I can't find bait.

Anybody willing to offer suggestions on where to get bait out of Gaston? I'll understand if you want to keep it secret.

Thanks Newsome for suggestion

Six Pointer

I'll be there bright and early Monday morning with my Minnesota client, he pays for the entire boat all week. Look for the AlumaCraft with "Brown Dog Guide Services" on each side. Wave or stop by if you can, I would welcome the "southern hospitality after spending a day or two with him!!!

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Boat View Post
    I'll be there bright and early Monday morning with my Minnesota client, he pays for the entire boat all week. Look for the AlumaCraft with "Brown Dog Guide Services" on each side. Wave or stop by if you can, I would welcome the "southern hospitality after spending a day or two with him!!!
    Sounds like you will be having fun next week. Are you catching your bait or do you try to buy it? I have never tried to catch bait so I am also looking for any tips on finding some shad. I have a bait tank so I should not have an issue keeping them alive for a day or so. I am riding in a camo 18ft express. Kind of looks like a bass boat but all aluminum. We caught the majority of our fish a mile or so down river. Good luck next week.

BUZZZZ
    Last edited by buzzbait; 04-21-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
    Sounds like you will be having fun next week. Are you catching your bait or do you try to buy it? I have never tried to catch bait so I am also looking for any tips on finding some shad. I have a bait tank so I should not have an issue keeping them alive for a day or so. I am riding in a camo 18ft express. Kind of looks like a bass boat but all aluminum. We caught the majority of our fish a mile or so down river. Good luck next week.

BUZZZZ
    I don't fish with bait at all, strictly artificial and no fish are kept regardless of size. If it's big enough I CPR it. (catch, photograph and release) as well as measure if they think they may want a mount.

Four Pointer

I tried to day, needless to say I've had better days. We tried behind the big rock, drifted to down to troublefield,went and looked down by the pier below the power lines. Didn't see anybody slaying them. Going to try tomorrow weather permitting.

Hope others are doing better.