Roanoke stripers?

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Any of you guys out there today?
We put in at 11:00 and fished until 630. We caught about 30. We couldn't buy a hit on minnows. Most all the fish we caught were on white swim tail plastics wit a 1/2 oz head.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
We tried Sunday not a stellar day, but atleast I'm on the water. We drifted from troublefield down to the pier before the fish camp. Never ran across any large schools of fish.

We managed to catch about 25 w/ 2 keepers and an about 6-7# blue cat.

I'm going to try again May 5th.

Keep the reports coming.

Tight lines everyone.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I don't fish with bait at all, strictly artificial and no fish are kept regardless of size. If it's big enough I CPR it. (catch, photograph and release) as well as measure if they think they may want a mount.

Do you mind sharing what artificial baits you are using, (Feel free to PM me) we are hosting our Combat Warrior turkey hunt this Saturday and we always take them to the river fishing in the afternoon and with live bait rare I need to know what to go buy to get the guys on some fish!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Any of you guys out there today?
We put in at 11:00 and fished until 630. We caught about 30. We couldn't buy a hit on minnows. Most all the fish we caught were on white swim tail plastics wit a 1/2 oz head.

Country are you casting and reeling the swim tails? or trolling?

buzzbait

Button Buck
I would also love any tips on using artificial baits. I have caught a few but never wore them out unless I was using live bait. I have plenty of fluke type baits and all different sizes of jig heads. Are you drifting just like you would using live bait or are you guys finding a school and casting to them. Any tips on color would also be appreciated.

Rumor has it the the flow of the river is going to increase up to 30,000 cfs today or tomorrow and will probably stay like that through next week.

Thanks for any advise, BUZZZZ

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
We were casting white swim tail (paddle tail) flukes into the current. Kept the line right by slow reeling and waited for the strikes. They were soft mouthing the bait and could easily mistake the bites for bumping g bottom.

The water is defiantly up. There are no rocks showing today.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Alright folk. We have been on the water since 1045 and have landed only 5 fish. The bite is off right now. Since the water is up, there is a lot more floating trash. We have seen a lot of logs and limbs floating. We just watched a 25 foot tree trunk float past the big rock. My point being, keep your eyes open.

We did run into Bailey Boat out there. It is always nice to bump into another member. I hope his day was better than ours.

Good luck folk.

redbow

Ten Pointer
30000 cfs next week? I am supposed to be there next Monday and Tuesday. Is it worth going down?

buzzbait

Button Buck
Significant recent rain, bringing inflows to Kerr near +70,000 cfs daily average. Expecting lake level to rise to nr 308 ft by Thursday.
Inflows and lake level support a 7-day flood release of 35,000 cfs.

This is a second revision to this week's declaration. This time declaring FLOOD OPERATIONS at Kerr.
This revision is to support increased releases from Roanoke Rapids:
Thursday 30,000 cfs
Friday 35,000 cfs

Its going to be moving pretty fast later this week possibly through next week.

buzzbait

Button Buck
It's still fishable but you have to be careful. Keep a eye out for floating trees. I have fished it many times running over 25,000cfm and did well every time.

BUZZZZ

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Do you mind sharing what artificial baits you are using, (Feel free to PM me) we are hosting our Combat Warrior turkey hunt this Saturday and we always take them to the river fishing in the afternoon and with live bait rare I need to know what to go buy to get the guys on some fish!

I use Got-cha saltwater heads (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 ounce sizes) that are basically flat on the sides and a Zoom Salty Super Fluke in 4 and 5" size and smokin' shad color. I have reels spooled with 6, 8 and 10 pound line
As the week went on and they released more and more and more water it slacked off dramatically. We wound up with 200+ over 2.5 days of fishing. We didn't wet a line Monday and not until after noon on Tuesday and didn't even bother to launch the boat on Friday.
He continued his trip to Atlanta and I came home to rest a little bit.
I have reels spooled with 6, 8 and 10 pound clear Stren so match the size of the lead head with the line test and water flow speed. Just enough to get the bait down but not enough to drag bottom. My best luck was above the trestle and down around the Little River area.
Good luck to everybody but keep and eye on the water for floating debris.....

redbow

Ten Pointer
We got down today and went fishing from 5p to 7p. We got 11 on paddle tails. Had two 24" slot fish and the rest were small. Gonna fish next two days. Fish were caught across from the boat ramp. Water is high but fish are here.

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
Fished out of Gaston boat ramp today. Caught many fish in the 23- 25 inch range and one 28. Hardly caught any small ones.

It was a good day once we figured them out. Large minnows and a few on artificials.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I fished for a couple of hours on Monday and Tuesday afternoon. I floated from the 95 bridge to Weldon. I was either using the wrong bait, the wrong presentation or was fishing at the wrong place/Time, but had no luck. I picked up one small fish in the white water above the 48 bridge, but nothing below. I know some people are catching them but this high water has me messed up.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
I was going to take a couple of guys from work tomorrow, but the weather has me concerned.

Then taking my dad, brother, and son on Saturday.

Would it be better for me to launch at the 48 bridge (18' deep-v) and drift down to 95 bridge or launch at Weldon and see how far up I can go?

Thanks for the report CountryRN

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
Fished out of Gaston on Monday and did very well. But, we had to find them and keep moving. Slammed them from noon to 2:00, then dead, then slammed them starting around 6:00 in a completely different area. Most fish were slot fish. All above Weldon.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I was going to take a couple of guys from work tomorrow, but the weather has me concerned.

Then taking my dad, brother, and son on Saturday.

Would it be better for me to launch at the 48 bridge (18' deep-v) and drift down to 95 bridge or launch at Weldon and see how far up I can go?

Thanks for the report CountryRN

According to the website, the projected flow release from the dam is 35,000 CFM for the next few days. At this level, you could safely put a large boat in in Gaston and float to the coast without any trouble.
Good luck. I may be out there too but not sure yet.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Thanks CountryRN.

We didn't fish this morning and I'm glad I didn't. Looked like storms were pretty strong.

We will be out with my Dad, brother and son in the morning.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Caught 15 all small 10-16" fish with 1 at 24". We caught most of them drifting from 95 bridge down to the train trestle. It seemed that most of the fish we caught and marked were only about 10'-15' down.

Spoke with one who said that the fish we're running along the edge of the trees.

buzzbait

Button Buck
I fished yesterday and Tuesday. Drifted shad for about 3 hours on Tuesday. Caught 2 fish. Went back yesterday and decided to try something different. We anchored up and threw jigs for about 2 hours then found a break in the current close to the bank. We tied up literally on the bank in the trees. Dropped a shad down about 10' and it was on for about 2 hours. We ended up with 25 or so. Only one over 22".

BUZZZZ

Last edited:

LawDog

Ten Pointer
I fished yesterday and Tuesday. Drifted shad for about 3 hours on Tuesday. Caught 2 fish. Went back yesterday and decided to try something different. We anchored up and threw jigs for about 2 hours then found a break in the current close to the bank. We tied up literally on the bank in the trees. Dropped a shad down about 10' and it was on for about 2 hours. We ended up with 25 or so. Only one over 22".

BUZZZZ

You fishing down at Weldon? We have been wanting to get down there, but the water has been so high and I only have a 15 ft jon boat with a 15 hp motor.

buzzbait

Button Buck
You fishing down at Weldon? We have been wanting to get down there, but the water has been so high and I only have a 15 ft jon boat with a 15 hp motor.

Yes I was in Weldon. The water is moving pretty good. They are supposed to drop it back down next week. I think its going back down to flows around 9,000 cfs