Where are the turkeys?

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
It looks like another bad season around my areas, I have found 2 birds, a hen and gobbler. I have scouted a few spots and found no sign of a bird, I got drawn for 3 places that have some and hope to get on some there, My season will be short due to family matters and work,just hope I can find some to get my boys on next week. they got the Sandhills hunt again.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Done some scouting. Already thinking the time I take off for turkey season will be for permit hunts.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Somebody has bought up all the Hen n Heat lure east of I-77..........follow the smell and you'll find the turks!! :rolleyes:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been seeing birds with hens and alone, the groups of mature birds seem to be busting up a bit for the past few weeks....but that's just observation when driving around. So far I've neither heard nor seen any significant sign in the areas that I have permission to hunt, and those are limited.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I put in around 400 miles a day average last week and saw only 4 birds in Ohio.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm not seeing them in wheat or cut corn fields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The big flocks are busting up now. Seen a lone gobbler with 5 hens up in Rockingham county today and last week saw a gobbler by himself and a group of 4 hens by themselves down at the dog club. Seen 3 hens by themselves this week 1/4 mile from the house and 2 gobblers strutting with 6 hens also near the house.

Last edited:

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Had a pic of 4 gobblers together Sunday, first time I seen them since Jan. Also seen several stru marks in Sandhills today, found more sign down there than expected.Also seen a lone hen.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My wife and I are jacked for this season. We are noobs to turkey hunting. Every other day or so for the past 3 to 4 weeks we have seen anywhere between 10-25 Turkey within 125 yards of our back deck. We could be blowing it, however, every couple days or so, for 5-10 minutes, we sit on our deck with box calls, and nearly every time we've done this, a gobbler responds. Lol.
Not sure how to blow up pictures, but the ones below are headed on to our property to roost. I'm thinking there are 25-27 in this shot.
imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife and I are jacked for this season. We are noobs to turkey hunting. Every other day or so for the past 3 to 4 weeks we have seen anywhere between 10-25 Turkey within 125 yards of our back deck. We could be blowing it, however, every couple days or so, for 5-10 minutes, we sit on our deck with box calls, and nearly every time we've done this, a gobbler responds. Lol.
Not sure how to blow up pictures, but the ones below are headed on to our property to roost. I'm thinking there are 25-27 in this shot.
View attachment 54750

Yep, probably should quit calling! Response doesn't equal roast!

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Turkeys are still in my area. Just the other day I caught 2 toms , 2 jakes & it looked to be 3-4 hens headed up the ridge. I was scouting and it was about 1:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, probably should quit calling! Response doesn't equal roast!

wturkey01-i think you just invented a wise saying. :) heard the roosted aint roasted but not your version.

T-Rock keep us posted, you should be having some fun soon. Good Luck.

As a new hunter you have the most helpful start, plenty of turkeys.

jboi72

Eight Pointer
Seen 2 gobblers yesterday with hens, one set in a cove at the lake and another strutting chasing a hen thru my parents back yard.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had 2 gobblers cross the road by the house Saturday and saw a hen today in foodplot field here in Harnett county.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted a 600 acre tract and a 180 acre tract down in central GA on Saturday from dark to 4:30 - and saw not one track, dropping, scratching or any other evidence of turkeys. Population is way down there.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted a 600 acre tract and a 180 acre tract down in central GA on Saturday from dark to 4:30 - and saw not one track, dropping, scratching or any other evidence of turkeys. Population is way down there.

I've heard 20-30% as state something going on that is lot lost birds

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I drove from Almost Paradise here in Scotland County to Jacksonville (and back) yesterday,,,,,saw gobblers,,,sometimes with hens,,,in every county I passed through either going down, coming back, or both,,,,,

Scotland
Robeson
Bladen
Sampson
Duplin
Onslow

Took 41 across most of it,,,,,,,,

Southern

Ten Pointer
I drove from Almost Paradise here in Scotland County to Jacksonville (and back) yesterday,,,,,saw gobblers,,,sometimes with hens,,,in every county I passed through either going down, coming back, or both,,,,,

Scotland
Robeson
Bladen
Sampson
Duplin
Onslow

Took 41 across most of it,,,,,,,,

Yep. in the vicinity of 41 all day today. Sampson/Bladen area. Saw 2 full strut long beads with hens and birds all over the place.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are NO Turkeys in Scotland county, woodmoose :) you sir should know better:p

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a flock of about 2 dozen birds in a plowed field at 3PM today. Just a few miles north of Wallace

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
"-Yep, probably should quit calling! Response doesn't equal roast!-"

Ha! Even though we harrassed them with calling too much on our deck, we scored! 10" beard and a hair over 1 1\4 inch Spurs. There's two more frequently calling back to us, but we're probably gonna wait and let em' walk, till next year. Lol
17904274_10155153117858905_4608726201736961605_n.jpg17884621_10155153118733905_5275129218306991763_n.jpg