Buy or Build

nn76858

Button Buck
Looking for advice here. I shoot a browning .270 for around here. However I am planning on attempting to start hunting out west.....elk and mulies. I want to get a .300 win mag for these ventures. I am on the fence about taking an action and trigger from a Remington 700 and doing a build with g and h gunsmithing. Or buying a reminder 700 sendero and taking it to get action true and trigger work done....I don't need a 1000 yard gun but would like something I could attempt to shoot on the range at 500......I will spend money on good glass.....also any opinions on bregara rifles in this caliber.....any info is much appreciated

double

Twelve Pointer
Dont take this the wrong way but for almost any factory rifle 500 is a cake walk. After that things get iffy. Buy or build what makes you happy. If you are planning a build do not start with a stock 700 action. Buy one of the aftermarket actions based on the 700. They can be pricey but once you pay for the smith work on a stock action it will be as well.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I lived in CO for 15 years and hunted mulies, elk and antelope every year with people who shot a number of calibers so here is my opinion; save your money designated for such a build/buy, spend it in Montana on an elk/mulie combo tag and you won't regret it. The .270 with a 140gr Accubond or Nosler Partition in 150gr will be adequate for either animal out to 500 as long as you are proficient at hitting your target and your shoulder will thank you.

There are probably as many 300Mag safe queens as any other caliber out there. Just my $.02 worth, just never saw the need for a magnum if the hunter was doing his best to get close and make an ethical kill.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I lived in CO for 15 years and hunted mulies, elk and antelope every year with people who shot a number of calibers so here is my opinion; save your money designated for such a build/buy, spend it in Montana on an elk/mulie combo tag and you won't regret it. The .270 with a 140gr Accubond or Nosler Partition in 150gr will be adequate for either animal out to 500 as long as you are proficient at hitting your target and your shoulder will thank you.

There are probably as many 300Mag safe queens as any other caliber out there. Just my $.02 worth, just never saw the need for a magnum if the hunter was doing his best to get close and make an ethical kill.

This ^^^*^^*

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
My stock Savage 110-HS in 300wm shoots .6 moa and was under $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IF...you decide to build, pony up for a Dakota action. They are worth the extra money and don't need to be blueprinted like the standard Remmy actions. By the time you buy a blueprinted action from the Remmy custom shop you can have it built on a much better action.
BTW..If you decided you want a ling range gun, I've got a 7mm RUM Browning medallion that I'd part with if you're interested.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer

I second this also. Why do you doubt a .270 for the game you listed? If it's because of the distance, then a 300 Win. Mag. is not going to do anything for you at 500 yards.

Now, if you're just looking for an excuse to build you another rifle, do it - I'm all about getting another rifle for whatever reason.:)

nn76858

Button Buck
Thank you guys for all the input. I did kill a 250 lb whitetail on a diy kansas hunt. Shooting a 135 grain federal trophy bonded tip......I was under the assumption you may need a little more gun for an elk. I may go with the sendero out of the box pit good glass on it an see how it does.......go with work as needed....

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I also agree with Blackwater about the efficacy of the .270. Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith both touted the .270 as being perfect for any North American game save for the biggest brown bears and their history & results with the cartridge backs up the claim.

One thing to consider with the Sendero is weight...you typically tote an elk rifle for some time and distance in varying terrain and a heavy rifle makes for a burdensome task.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
my nieces husband guides in Colorado for Elk......he would rather see a guy show up with a beat up 270 or even 25-06 that he shoots well then he had a guy with a new super duper shiny magnum who cant hit the broadside of a barn with it........where you shoot em is more important then WHAT you shoot them with. I have seen my grandniece smoke a few elk with a 243.............elk are not some mythical beast that requires Thor's hammer to kill them.....shoot em in the heart lung with just about any good centerfire rifle round and they will die.......

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns

Yep!........

Iv hunted quit a bit out West 500 yards a lot of places out there that is a average shot. I would find something I was comfortable with out to 750+. You also want something you don't mind carrying all day. I would also look for a caliber that is easy to find ammo for in case you get there and then there is a issue. Look it as a investment go ahead and spend decent money on a good rig that will get the job done and you don't have to wonder if it you or the rifle. A lot also depends on the type of country you plan to hunt. Two good web sites to visit are rocslide and 24 hour campfire to look at some of their long range advice. There is a world of difference between hunting here on the East Coast and some of the western States. I would look hard at a 300 Win Mag toped with a Z5 BT it will do anything you want to do, you can find ammo near about anywhere. Its capable of a 1000 yards with some practice can be loaded up or down depending on what your doing.