Turkey Fan Mounting

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I have had terrible luck and I have made boneheaded mistakes with all the fans that I have saved to mount. In my garage/man cave all I have to show for all my dozen or so years of hunting them is the jake tail which was taken on my first ever hunt with my old friend Lasttombstone. I freely admit that he did everything except pull the trigger but I was hooked after that. I was even using his gun and ammo and my shot was so poor he had to run down the slightly wounded bird. If you know him ask him about him yelling grapevine to me while chasing the bird.

Since then I have had three tails I wanted to hang on my wall. The first one I tacked on to a flat piece of cardboard and put it on top of the freezer in the garage to dry out. I didn't have any borax so I used salt on the meat left on it. In just a couple of days I found feathers all over the floor where a rat had gotten to it. Oh well. Lesson learned right? Another one I shot at Tombstones I left with him to flatten out for me. You guessed it, something got into his shop and chewed on this one too. But I have to say he took the feathers and made a very cool wreath with a pic of me with the bird in the middle and a dated wingbone call hanging on the bottom. I actually like it better than just a fanned out tail.

The last bird I got last season had a nice fan so I brought it home to work on myself. As I had no borax yet I put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer to keep the varmints from getting to this one. By the time I finally found borax at a local hardware store and got the tail out of the freezer, it was locked into the folded up position and I couldn't spread it out at all without the feathers coming unattached. So as I said, I've had some bad luck and been ignorant about this process. But with the new season almost upon us and having a permit in my wallet I am going to hope for another shot at mounting a turkey fan. I'd say the moral of this tale is although I have no trophies from my turkey hunts I have the memories of them and some pretty good meat too. And the real moral is never quit trying. And I won't.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I sent you a PM on how I made one. I think i got the info from hawglips posting on the subject on here

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
I started doing my own and have found the easiest way to do it. Get you one of the clothes hangers like kids pants are clipped onto in stores..The kind with the two "Pinchers" on each end. Spread the fan out fully and clip it onto the hanger after you remove most of the meat off. Lay it flat and cover meaty area with Borax powder. You can eventually hang it to finish drying it.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Pin it up and cover daily with salt till it stops pulling moisture out. Shake off salt and coat with Borax (can buy this at any grocery store in laundry detergent isle) and continue to dry out.

I think you have had some bad luck with critters getting to them. Never tried freezing a fan. Did you let it thaw out before trying to spread it apart?

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I have this turkey fan thing figured out fairly good so I am planning on doing a video this year. I will share it when I do.
First off, you can get borax at almost any grocery store in the laundry detergent section. Salt works fairly good too.

Next time you get your fan just stick it in the fridge. It will be fine for a solid 2 weeks in there. I would say your issue sounds like you didnt let it thaw completely. If you did let it thaw for long enough, its highly likely it got hit by freezer burn. Freezer burned ducks will do the same thing. Its almost impossible to open there wings and legs after freezer burn. If you still have the fan, I would try soaking it in warm soapy water. If you have a syringe, inject it with warm soapy water (just the base, dont get those feathers wet if you dont have to)

I like to use insulation board for pinning my fans, gives me plenty of room to really stick the pins in but cardboard would work too.
T pins are the best because they also work to hold the feathers down in certain spots if you need (beyond just holding the spread where you want it.).

The biggest thing is getting off all of the meat. I mean all of it. Also cut slits between eat quill.Once you have the done pour on some borax and start pulling whatever meat/fat is left on the feathers. The borax really really helps you grip that meat when removing it. Use scissors, use a wire brush. whatever you need to use to get that meat off. Shouldnt take but 10 minutes really. Once that is done set the fan out on a piece of cardboard or foam insulation and start pinning. Do understand that however it is pinned is how it will dry. If you leave meat on it in certain areas, over the course of time it will dry out different and cause the feathers to twist and not lie flat. Use pins all over the dang thing. Not 4 not 10. Go ahead and pin the crap out of it. You dont have to stick the pins through the actual shaft, at least not when using the T pins however its not a bad idea to do that at the bast. Its also a good idea to pour a little borax our before you start pinning the base so you will have borax under it. Dont be afraid of the borax either. You cant really use too much but it is a good idea to brush it away every couple days and reapply. Leave it in a dry space inside the house and dont touch it for about 2-3 weeks.

12961586_10103164847227803_8381762854152786587_n.jpg
12963869_10103149687073873_7156939985624580349_n.jpg

And if anyone is wondering that is a handmade walnut plaque made by myself. I do make them and sell them during turkey season, also do the mounts. The wings are a huge pain in the rear so its not cheap.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Your making it way harder than needs to be borax is pretty easy to get got box from the grocery store last year and its preferred. First within day of killing the most important thing is the inital trimming get it cleaned and I mean to the bone this will save you lot time in trimming after drying in days to come. Spread it out and use thumb tacks to kep it spread on piece cardboard and just apply borax generous amount and every 2 days go trim add and trim rpat for up to 2 weks depending on how well claned it less if got it good then your set keep it in house you don't want bugs laying eggs in the tail. As far as that one that got stuck you could have salvaged that by pulling one feather at time out this is way some people do it to make last longer taxi supply like Mckenzis sells stuff Ive ordere quite bit stuff from them decent pricing

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I have this turkey fan thing figured out fairly good so I am planning on doing a video this year. I will share it when I do.
First off, you can get borax at almost any grocery store in the laundry detergent section. Salt works fairly good too.

Next time you get your fan just stick it in the fridge. It will be fine for a solid 2 weeks in there. I would say your issue sounds like you didnt let it thaw completely. If you did let it thaw for long enough, its highly likely it got hit by freezer burn. Freezer burned ducks will do the same thing. Its almost impossible to open there wings and legs after freezer burn. If you still have the fan, I would try soaking it in warm soapy water. If you have a syringe, inject it with warm soapy water (just the base, dont get those feathers wet if you dont have to)

I like to use insulation board for pinning my fans, gives me plenty of room to really stick the pins in but cardboard would work too.
T pins are the best because they also work to hold the feathers down in certain spots if you need (beyond just holding the spread where you want it.).

The biggest thing is getting off all of the meat. I mean all of it. Also cut slits between eat quill.Once you have the done pour on some borax and start pulling whatever meat/fat is left on the feathers. The borax really really helps you grip that meat when removing it. Use scissors, use a wire brush. whatever you need to use to get that meat off. Shouldnt take but 10 minutes really. Once that is done set the fan out on a piece of cardboard or foam insulation and start pinning. Do understand that however it is pinned is how it will dry. If you leave meat on it in certain areas, over the course of time it will dry out different and cause the feathers to twist and not lie flat. Use pins all over the dang thing. Not 4 not 10. Go ahead and pin the crap out of it. You dont have to stick the pins through the actual shaft, at least not when using the T pins however its not a bad idea to do that at the bast. Its also a good idea to pour a little borax our before you start pinning the base so you will have borax under it. Dont be afraid of the borax either. You cant really use too much but it is a good idea to brush it away every couple days and reapply. Leave it in a dry space inside the house and dont touch it for about 2-3 weeks.

View attachment 54779
View attachment 54780

And if anyone is wondering that is a handmade walnut plaque made by myself. I do make them and sell them during turkey season, also do the mounts. The wings are a huge pain in the rear so its not cheap.

That is a phenomenal layout with the fan, wings and skull... wow.

Lastfling

Six Pointer
All is not lost if freezer burnt. Keeping all the feathers in order remove from the flesh / freezer burnt section and pin / arrange in open position to s large piece of cardboard. Mix some Bondo and carefully apply to the quill base. As bondo is not a glue - apply some epoxy to hold everything securely. If done correctly the fan can create mounted on the plaque with no one the wiser that all that bug bait skin is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
I have done more than 50 and never had a problem. Spread the tail out on a piece of plywood at least as big as the fan and staple each feather to the plywood. Apply a generous amount of borax to the fleshy part, stand it up so the borax stays in place, and put it in a place varmints can't get to it. After about two weeks it will be done.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I don't have anywhere to display mine, so they're all still in the freezer. Let me get my man cave and the walls are gonna be feathered lol

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Pin it up and cover daily with salt till it stops pulling moisture out. Shake off salt and coat with Borax (can buy this at any grocery store in laundry detergent isle) and continue to dry out.

I think you have had some bad luck with critters getting to them. Never tried freezing a fan. Did you let it thaw out before trying to spread it apart?

I did let it thaw but it was still stuck in the folded position.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer

View attachment 54779
View attachment 54780

That one with the wings is really cool.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Your making it way harder than needs to be borax is pretty easy to get got box from the grocery store last year and its preferred. First within day of killing the most important thing is the inital trimming get it cleaned and I mean to the bone this will save you lot time in trimming after drying in days to come. Spread it out and use thumb tacks to kep it spread on piece cardboard and just apply borax generous amount and every 2 days go trim add and trim rpat for up to 2 weks depending on how well claned it less if got it good then your set keep it in house you don't want bugs laying eggs in the tail. As far as that one that got stuck you could have salvaged that by pulling one feather at time out this is way some people do it to make last longer taxi supply like Mckenzis sells stuff Ive ordere quite bit stuff from them decent pricing
The only place I found borax was in a local hardware store. But I have some now so all I need is another fan to experiment on.

Lastfling

Six Pointer
Most grocery stores carry 20 Mule Team borax in laundry detergent section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I did let it thaw but it was still stuck in the folded position.

I will almost bet money that it is simply freezer burned. I mount ducks and they do the same thing. Go to the drug store and get you a syringe. Inject the the meat and whatever else is there with warm soapy water all over it. That should fix your problem

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
And for guys asking about the mount with the wings.. Well to me its wings, skull, fan, feet, beard, and Plaque. The plaque if I didnt say already is handmade by myself with very nice walnut. $275 for all that. No wings, $175... Plaque alone if you do it yourself, $65. I feel that $275 isnt cheap but its a pain in the rear to do all that and takes a long time. Its more than I charge to do a duck. But it takes longer and I would assume not do it than take any less. I would be happy to try and help someone else do it themselves though.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I will almost bet money that it is simply freezer burned. I mount ducks and they do the same thing. Go to the drug store and get you a syringe. Inject the the meat and whatever else is there with warm soapy water all over it. That should fix your problem

Thanks Smitty I might give that a try.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Thanks Smitty I might give that a try.

If you get around to doing it let us know if that solves your problem. Thats the only thing that makes sense to me. If its been in the freezer for over a year and wasn't sealed up completely, which I am betting it wasn't since its a long fan, then surely thats the problem.