Depthfinder troubleshooting

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got a small Lowrance downscan unit, and the depth finder quit on me. Last time I used it, it worked fine. Got on the water yesterday and no response.

Battery is good, connections are good, etc., so I figured the unit was dead. I removed it and took it to the the dealer, where they had similar units on display, so I plugged mine in, and it turned right on like it's supposed to.

So, that leaves the cable. I've traced it, and there are no visible worn spots, no exposed wiring, etc. Everything is shrink tubed and taped up where there are connections. I even cut off the batter connectors and put new ones on just to make sure.

What's my next step? If the cord is bad, do I have to replace entire cable with the transducer, or can I just splice in a new power feed? It's got a single plug in the back of the unit but connected to two wires, one power, one to the transducer. How would you test it?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most likely it is the connection in the back of the unit. Clean with a soft bush, then clean the wire end. Also check the fuse ends in the holder and make sure they haven't corroded.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, checked the fuse - looks like it's brand new. It may be that connection at the back of the unit. I can't really see into those tiny pin holes.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
I have similar or same unit and same problem, Elite 4 Chirp. Checked all my wiring, etc and all good. Two "lugs" on plug have power but nothing from unit. It quit on me yesterday after half day. 1st of March it wouldn't work on 1st day in Charleston, second day worked great. I'm thinking it's internal issue in unit.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, checked the fuse - looks like it's brand new. It may be that connection at the back of the unit. I can't really see into those tiny pin holes.
They actually use gold plating on those terminals, not suppose to corrode but they will get a film on them at times. Contact cleaner may do it.

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Ok, found my issue, was ring terminal crimped on wire to negative battery terminal. Crimp evidently was loose. When I was checking for power at terminal plug I was using battery terminal and not ground in plug. DUH. Maybe this will help, looking at maroon plug two larger holes are positive and negative terminals. Positive is on right.

I have the elite 4 chirp and It does the same thing, Mine will cut off at anypoint, and all i gotta do is move the power wire around a bit and it will turn back on. Power cable looks fine also, been doing this for about 6 months.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ I hear ya. You're talking like an old timer now. I need a little more help than you do finding those crappies.

I managed to get it working but I can't say exactly how other than it was in the cable. It came back on after rehooking the mid-line disconnects for the third time.

Last edited: