Run & Gun or Decoy Setups

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Wondering if anybody has more success running and gunning, or using decoys. What works for you guys. I have used decoys in the past but never killed over one. See more action with boots on the ground.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've never killed a bird and haven't called in very many but for what it's worth I've had more encounters when I just "run and gun"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Morning is time for boots............afternoon with a decoy in a field is often effective. But boring!!

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I'm thinking of hunting over a decoy one of these days just to say I did it. But then I chicken out.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have always preferred to try to locate a mid-morning bird and call him in. I have used a blind a few times and really didn't enjoy the time but i fear that I will be forced in that direction very soon. Turkey hunting will loose nearly all of it's appeal to me when that happens. I just hope the bream are biting when that time comes.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
To be honest, it depends on couple things the size of property your hunting and how many birds you have around, run and gun is going to spook some birds like coming up on hens without realizing it because your focused on the gobbler up ahead they putt and the whole area shuts down if your on small land your in trouble rest of day and if they fly maybe for few days now run and gun can be done without spooking many but it taks patienc practice and experience which you only get by trying so I would say if your having luck why sit and watch grass grow staring at a deke unless the situation calls for it like small land or its mid season your worn out and just need some rest

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
There's a lot of middle ground in between "run and gun" and sit and watch decoys. I call my style creep and peak. It may take me an hour to cover 200 yards but unless I'm working a gobbler I'm picking my way through the woods like a turkey does. I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard turkeys scratching or drumming with my technique. I don't use decoys simply because I don't like to use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I've killed a pile of birds and I think maybe 5 were in fields or open area. All the rest were in woods or logging roads with no decoys.
I don't even carry decoys with me any more unless I'm hunting the afternoons. Even then I don't put them out.
One caveat to that. I use decoys if I'm bow hunting and set them up about 40 yards behind me past where I want to draw on a bird.
Usually they either strutting or walking in looking at the decoys and I can draw without them seeing at 30 yards or less. Works pretty good.
I also don't own a ground blind so idk how that factors into bow hunting for them.
If shotgunning in the morning I don't like decoys at all.

BigGun1

Eight Pointer
Decoy setup in the morning has been very productive for us. Run and gun with one Styrofoam decoy after 9 am.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Wow I am surprised at how many don't use decoys. Even if I run and gun I have a blow up decoy that packs pretty well.

VikingsFan8178

i usually use a blind and a decoy but that setup has its limitations. For those of you that do not use a decoy or blind, how do you set up? Prop up next to a tree and wait?

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
i usually use a blind and a decoy but that setup has its limitations. For those of you that do not use a decoy or blind, how do you set up? Prop up next to a tree and wait?
Locate turkey, try to move in close, inside his bubble, set up against a tree and start up a conversation with him. I always try to set up where when he comes into view he's in range. I love the chess match and that look on his face when he realizes he's messed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

VikingsFan8178

Locate turkey, try to move in close, inside his bubble, set up against a tree and start up a conversation with him. I always try to set up where when he comes into view he's in range. I love the chess match and that look on his face when he realizes he's messed up.

When are you locating? day before, day of etc?

VikingsFan8178

I ask about the no blind / decoy strategy because I am not good at all with a mouth call so I use a blind to keep my hand movements hidden. I would like to get out of the blind because I hate dragging all that mess out. Would love to just walk into the woods and sit down, etc. Guess I just need to do it and not worry about it.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Vikings...... I keep a piece of camo net in my vest. Once I locate a bird and get in where I can, I set up with my back against a tree with a hopeful approach in front of me. I drape the netting over my knees at that point. A couple of other things I use is a gizmo that wraps around my knee that has a V in it and rest my run in it and lay it on my right shoulder. I keep my hands down low, behind the mesh to call with my pot. I have never been able to come close to using a reed call. Never even carried on in the woods. Just can't work it. When I think the bird is getting close I lay the call down and grab my gun, leaving the barrel on the rest till I know I need it. Any other calling at that time will just be some scratching with my left hand in close to my body. Might sound like a lot to some but that is what has worked most of the time for me. Just because you can't work a mouth call doesn't mean you have to stay in a blind.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I have always preferred to try to locate a mid-morning bird and call him in. I have used a blind a few times and really didn't enjoy the time but i fear that I will be forced in that direction very soon. Turkey hunting will loose nearly all of it's appeal to me when that happens. I just hope the bream are biting when that time comes.

I hope the bream are biting too.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Wondering if anybody has more success running and gunning, or using decoys. What works for you guys. I have used decoys in the past but never killed over one. See more action with boots on the ground.

I've done most of my turkey hunting on public land and running and gunning can be a little dangerous seeing as how you don't know the other hunters that might be out there doing the same thing. And like Tombstone my gimpy leg makes the running part a rare thing indeed.

VikingsFan8178

Vikings...... I keep a piece of camo net in my vest. Once I locate a bird and get in where I can, I set up with my back against a tree with a hopeful approach in front of me. I drape the netting over my knees at that point. A couple of other things I use is a gizmo that wraps around my knee that has a V in it and rest my run in it and lay it on my right shoulder. I keep my hands down low, behind the mesh to call with my pot. I have never been able to come close to using a reed call. Never even carried on in the woods. Just can't work it. When I think the bird is getting close I lay the call down and grab my gun, leaving the barrel on the rest till I know I need it. Any other calling at that time will just be some scratching with my left hand in close to my body. Might sound like a lot to some but that is what has worked most of the time for me. Just because you can't work a mouth call doesn't mean you have to stay in a blind.

Appreciate it -- I was thinking about doing something just like this actually

DozerD

Six Pointer
Interesting to see that so many do not use decoys. Though I am by no means a great turkey hunter, I always thought that decoys were a necessity. Thinking back on past hunts, I could of killed every bird without them except my wife's first gobbler. I'll try to give it a more traditionalists approach this year!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've done most of my turkey hunting on public land and running and gunning can be a little dangerous seeing as how you don't know the other hunters that might be out there doing the same thing. And like Tombstone my gimpy leg makes the running part a rare thing indeed.

not dangerous at all as far as I am concerned,,,in fact less dangerous to me than having a realistic looking male gobbler decoy around me on public land,,,,,,,but I carry a 2x4 sheet of blaze orange in case some yahoo gets to close,,,,,

gimpy legs just slow you down some, makes us better hunters!! and "running" is just a term,,,,,,,,not literal (but you knew that),,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I ask about the no blind / decoy strategy because I am not good at all with a mouth call so I use a blind to keep my hand movements hidden. I would like to get out of the blind because I hate dragging all that mess out. Would love to just walk into the woods and sit down, etc. Guess I just need to do it and not worry about it.
Lots of turkeys have been killed without mouth calls or blinds. Set up where the turkey has to come looking for you and by the time he can see your position he's in range.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

don't worry about the mouth call you ste uo where when you see him he is in range and no calling needed having him look for you is the way to go when the bird responds comes toward you time to drop the calling and have gun on knee