Bear island camping and fishing?

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I'm heading to bear island this weekend with some friends. We are taking the ferry over. Has anybody been camping there lately? Should I bring some fishing gear? any other pointers for a newbie?

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
We live a short distance from Bear Island and go there often with our boat during warm weather. There are some camping sites on the Emerald Isle end of Bear Island but we have never camped there the state charges a fee for using the camping sites..Try surf fishing you might snag a few. During the winter months its a good place to catch Red Drum in the surf.Its not a long walk from the ferry dock on BI to the Ocean. Its one of the few non developed areas left a beautiful place to be if you like the coast..I don't think camping is allowed except in designated areas..I don't know about the channel depth over to Bear Island we haven't been over there since last summer.. I can tell you it is often very shallow in places, all the creeks over that way are, last time we were over there in the boat we ran aground the water depth changes often in the creeks.. I suppose the ferry will go over on high tide...Have fun..

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
You will need to bring everything you need. Be sure to bring bug spray. Lots of marsh behind the island if you had access to a kayak. Have fun and enjoy being in a beautiful place!

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
As a newcomer moving to NC this summer and with decades of experience in big bear county in the Adirondacks I just looked online at info for Bear Island. If I'm reading the notice correctly the normal ferry operations won't open in April due to dock safety problems but they will have limited service for folks with reservations Friday to Sunday.

We're bringing our big touring sea Kayaks and one canoe on our kayak trailer when we move so this is one park we'll have to check out.

https://northcarolinastateparks.res...roundDetails.do?contractCode=NC&parkId=552811

Lance

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like we will need to pack lightly as we gotta carry all our camping gear!
I do have a kayak, so maybe I'll paddle that across with more gear...

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
If you take any alcohol, keep it well hidden as the ranger WILL check. If you've got a bottle of liquor tucked away somewhere you will be O.K., but if the ranger spies any beer cans or bottles, he'll likely go through your coolers and confiscate the remainder. Yes, you should take some fishing gear.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My old boss and I camped there last October. We took our kayaks over and camped at one of the sites on the small slough on the east side of the island. Takes about an hour to paddle under normal conditions. If I understand correctly, you cannot bring ANY kind of wheeled cart or cooler on the ferry. Yeah, I'd carry fishing gear if possible. I'd rather fish and not catch anything than get there and wish the whole time that I had brought fishing gear.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
Update: my group camped sat night and had a great time. Took the ferry across and carried all our gear 1/2 mile or more to our spot. The campsites have a picnic table, but that's it. There is a bathhouse where we got fresh water. Got a little chilly at night with the wind, but I'd rather have that than bugs!
I fished a little on the inside near the kayak launch, but no bites. I saw a few mullet and crabs, but the water is shallow. Water was cold also, so I'm assuming gamefish were deeper.
Had a fun time tho. Will try again, but pack much much lighter, I got a heck of a workout!!