Anchoring sideways with 1 anchor

Crestliner

Six Pointer
I'm wanting to anchor my boat sideways in current using only 1 anchor. I have a 19 foot Crestliner Deep V.

Suggestions?

Thanks

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Get another anchor.

yeap,,,,or you'll pivot like a dervish,,,,,,and if you manage to get that one anchor perfectly aligned to hold you sidewise it will last only as long as NO ONE MOVES and nothing causes a change in current (other boats, wind, etc),,,,,,,,,

so get another anchor,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plan on letting out several feet of rope with that size boat even with two anchors if you are in swift water. I anchor sideways all the time in the river here as my rod holders are on the sides. I start by going down stream and dropping the front (I control it from the rear) Then I will drop the rear anchor and let out line to I am parallel in the current and then cleat off.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^^^^^ True, but unless you are in a river that has a completely clear bottom where you can use a danforth you will have to use one heavy enough that he will need a winch to get it up for a boat that size.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
If he's in a rocky river he can use a wreck anchor with the bendable tines and wedge it in. All depends on what the bottoms like. Alternatively you can turn the motor hard to one side and at least get canted.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
You can do it with a bridal as long as you have one anchor that's large enough

That's what I use giant fishing. My chain is the length of my boat. Not recommended for rough conditions. If I'm inshore I'll use my main anchor off the bow and a grapple w/5' chain off the back. Don't think using a bridal in fresh would be a problem at all but you will sway in the wind.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yup calm days are no issue using the bridle. To error on the safe side I will have a line specifically tied up for this with loops in the line that a second line is tied to that will swing the stern sideways. If you happen to get into trouble the stern line can be popped off and your back to having the bow into the weather.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Thanks for the suggestions.

This for fishing the Roanoke during the striper run. The boat has a walk thru windshield which the wind can catch causing issues.

Can you explain the bridle system or have a picture?

Thanks

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

This for fishing the Roanoke during the striper run. The boat has a walk thru windshield which the wind can catch causing issues.

Thanks

There's enough boat traffic you'll need 2 anchors.... Trust me....

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns

Thanks

Anchor your boat as normal but with a little more scope than normal to make up for the increased strain on the line. Once its set tie a bowline on a bight loop on the anchor rode. Tie a line, use a clip, or shackle to attach another line to the loop you just made. Let out more rode until the loop is at least 3/4 the length of the boat from the cleat if not more. Retie off your rode and walk the second line to the stern. Tighten the line in the stern until you are positioned the way you want and tie it off. It would be helpful to raise the motor to reduce the drag.

mike

Eight Pointer
I use 2 anchors now, but did this for years with one. You'll need a spool of rope at least 100', but 150' would probably be better. I have a spring loaded clip on the end of the anchor line and loop the line around the front cleat and the rear cleat and clip it back into itself. To get set up drop your anchor, loop the rope around the 2 cleats, clip it into itself, and the let the rope get tight and anchor hang. Adjust where the clip is clipped into the line back and forth until you find the sweet spot to hold you sideways. Boat traffic will swing you a bit. I faced the rear of the boat toward the bank so the front took the brunt of the waves. Another little trick is to keep your trolling motor deployed and as you see waves coming in you can kick it on for a few seconds to counteract the waves. Hope this helps and I'll include a diagram since a picture is worth a thousand words. LOL
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

2008jf6.jpg