Roanoke river water levels

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
In previous threads there has been a lot of discussion about the water levels in the Roanoke for rock fish season. As we all know, the water level has been very low making it difficult for safe boating in the area. The following is an excerpt from an email to a buddy of mine from a contact at the NC wildlife department. It appears that there is a chance that the water levels will be coming up to a suitable level soon.
I thought I would post it for those interested.

4/05/17
We conducted a creel survey at the Weldon ramp this morning. Our clerk observed the same activity as you did today. Most of the boats were catching hickory shad, but some were targeting and catching striped bass. Bank anglers were catching stripers, too. Again, mostly short fish. We did not measure any keeper striped bass as most reported catching fish too short to keep. The river came up to 5,000 cfs on Wednesday morning. We plan to bring it up again to around 8,500 cfs on Saturday depending on how much rain the upper basin gets tonight. Kerr Lake is at guide curve now, so we have some water to work with for flows in the river. The official declaration should be published by the Corps early tomorrow. Things are looking good for now.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the report...looking forward to getting down there this spring and catching some stripers.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the update. First trip is April 17, hopefully some keeper striper will be up that way.

Keep me posted Crestliner and let me know when you want to take a trip with me and the boys. We had a ball last year as you always put us on the fish.