Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now here's two bills worth looking at ...

Bill going to be heard next Monday.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...-for-next-week
    Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH

Four Pointer

I would support it if it also opened waterfowl hunting anywhere on public water anywhere in the state. Especially Pamlico, Dare and Currituck counties. We should all be able to hunt these places but greedy people and legislative cronyism keeps most of us out. NC could support public hunting if we spread it out and did not concentrate sound hunting to Hyde county.

Got a call from a friend who said WRC apparently IS NOT in support of the Sunday hunting bill. Word is the supporter(s) of the bill will do a run around in an attempt to get Sunday hunting passed. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hyde, I understand your point of view but that unto itself is an entirely different matter which would need major support from the GA. Been shut out of several counties now for 35 years, doubt anyone is going to try and "change" that. Not saying its right, just it would be a hard sell ...
    Locked and Loaded Super "Gauge" SH

Four Pointer

No ducks in Dare or Currituck anyway. They all pass us by
    on their way to the 'legal' bait in the rich, greedy, non resident's impoundment known as Hyde Co.
    Last edited by Gus; 04-21-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Lightbulb

Well, at least every non-waterfowl NC hunter now knows how elitist, self centered, greedy and entitled most of the NC duck hunters are.
    :don To hell with everyone but us. :.
    Kids can't go in late or take a day off during the week to hunt. What about them?
    Heres a thought, if you don't want waterfowl hunting on Sunday, lobby to opt it out of these SH bills instead of trying to kill the entire bill.
    Since most of you only think about your duck season, how about this.
    Apparently our NC flocks are in a down cycle so maybe the NCWRC needs to shorten the seasons [Feds say 60 days maximum, but don't mandate 60 days] until the flocks return to healthy numbers.
    Maybe the non-waterfowl hunters need to let the NCGA and the NCWRC know how they feel about our falling duck numbers and ask what they are going to do about it.
    New thread idea I suppose and a few stories in local papers to get the public onboard with the crash in our duck numbers and get their ideas on what to do about it.
    Last edited by shadycove; 04-21-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by shadycove View Post
    Well, at least every non-waterfowl NC hunter now knows how elitist, self centered, greedy and entitled most of the NC duck hunters are.
    Kids can't go in late or take a day off during the week to hunt. What about them?
    Heres a thought, if you don't want waterfowl hunting on Sunday, lobby to opt it out of these SH bills instead of trying to kill the entire bill.
    The weekday hunter has 5 days to hunt. The weekend hunter has 1 day. Seems fair that the weekday hunter hunt only Wednesday and Thursday and allow the weekend hunter have Saturday and Sunday.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewale View Post
    The weekday hunter has 5 days to hunt. The weekend hunter has 1 day. Seems fair that the weekday hunter hunt only Wednesday and Thursday and allow the weekend hunter have Saturday and Sunday.
    Not a bad idea.

Four Pointer

In my opinion the best answer is one I heard discussed last February in a joint house/senate wildlife committee hearing on the subject. zone the state so that the hunters west of either Hwy 17 or I 95 have their Oct wood duck season and end their season earlier.
    The Eastern part of the state forgoes the OCt season. this would account for most of the days.
    In order to do this the WRC has to file a plan with the feds. They have a chance every three years and I think that window is open this year (not sure).

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by shadycove View Post
    Since most of you only think about your duck season, how about this.
    Apparently our NC flocks are in a down cycle so maybe the NCWRC needs to shorten the seasons [Feds say 60 days maximum, but don't mandate 60 days] until the flocks return to healthy numbers.
    Maybe the non-waterfowl hunters need to let the NCGA and the NCWRC know how they feel about our falling duck numbers and ask what they are going to do about it.
    New thread idea I suppose and a few stories in local papers to get the public onboard with the crash in our duck numbers and get their ideas on what to do about it.
    Dear Shady Cove, not sure if you are being facetious about duck numbers. If you read the federal and DU reports you know that duck numbers are well above the long term averages. North Carolina harvest about twice as many ducks as the next closest state in the Atlantic flyway. We have plenty of ducks, often times not good weather for killing them. I see you are from the piedmont and the duck hunting issues there are different than the eastern part of the state.
    My comments are about public water hunting on NC's sounds. Not an issue for the private places such as impoundments because they usually only hunt once or twice a week because they know what pressure will do.
    If the public waters that are open to the public (only 1 of the top 5 counties for harvest will let either you or me hunt near shore) on both Saturday and Sunday the harvest on the second day will be almost non existent unless there is a big weather event or there is illegally placed bait. Back to back heavy pressure days has a big impact on ducks. If the hunting were spread out to the other counties there may be a case.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Hydemarsh View Post
    In my opinion the best answer is one I heard discussed last February in a joint house/senate wildlife committee hearing on the subject. zone the state so that the hunters west of either Hwy 17 or I 95 have their Oct wood duck season and end their season earlier.
    The Eastern part of the state forgoes the OCt season. this would account for most of the days.
    In order to do this the WRC has to file a plan with the feds. They have a chance every three years and I think that window is open this year (not sure).
    Yeah thats a terrible idea. They tried to get rid of october season a few years ago. We squashed that quick once word got out. Take away the entire early season so we can sunday hunt??