Who's going after their first turkey this year?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I remember the year (YEARS :mad:) I was going after my first turkey.

I can't imagine anyone fared worse than I did.

Just curious if anyone on the board is hoping for their first turkey this year?

If so, I wish you all the best of luck!!!

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Does it count if it's been so long since I killed a bird that I forgot what it's like? Lol if so, then I am

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

GLOCKMASTER

Eight Pointer
Not going after my first but this years goal is to put one in front of my girlfriend which will be her first

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I forget exactly how many years this is, but it's better than 8 since I first started.

Still hoping for my first...being able to go more than a couple times a year would help a lot lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I went 13 seasons before getting my first turkey. Now to be fair I didn't even hunt a few of those years but there were still many years of failed attempts before I finally paid money to be put on a bird. That was a few seasons ago and I haven't killed one since. I'm hoping to get one this year but who knows. It really hurts the odds that I don't hunt near home and can't scout much before the hunt.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I went 13 seasons before getting my first turkey. Now to be fair I didn't even hunt a few of those years but there were still many years of failed attempts before I finally paid money to be put on a bird. That was a few seasons ago and I haven't killed one since. I'm hoping to get one this year but who knows. It really hurts the odds that I don't hunt near home and can't scout much before the hunt.

Looks like I'm in good company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Killed my one and only bird 15 years ago. Only been a hand full of times since then but this year my son turns 3 on Saturday and the only thing he wants is to go turkey hunting, so we're going to give it a try. Hopefully we will hear some but he hasn't got the whole "quiet and still" thing figured out yet. Either way it'll be fun.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
Looking for my 1st bird this year. With new lease property close by I plan to hit the turkey woods often. Been turkey hunting on and off for about 15 years. Fishing always seems to take over for some reason.....:rolleyes:

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I was never interested in turkey hunting until I started seeing them more and more in my area (NJ). Once I decided to hunt them, I realized why people go nuts turkey hunting. This will be my 8th year of turkey hunting and still trying to get my first bird. NJ has a noon hunting rule and as a horrible excuse for my terrible skills I'll say I only got a chance to hunt a few days during turkey season. Regardless, I've become obsessed. To make matters worse, I'll be away for the first week. My wife planned and paid for a trip pre-Easter. We leave in the am of turkey opener.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Looking for my first bird this year, this will be my second season turkey hunting. Had an opportunity last year late season but couldn't get turned on the bird. Can't wait for Saturday morning!

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yep,,will be my first time giving it a go,, hopefully this weekend we have some luck if not we'll keep going the nervousness and excitement is the joy of hunting

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm after my first. Started turkey hunting last year when I finally joined a club. We have lots of birds but I am basically clueless!

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Looking for my 1st bird . Have gone only a couple times many years ago and have never put much effort into it. Tomorrow morning Im going to watch the woods wake up and see what happens.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
I'm hoping to get my first turkey this year. I can barely contain my excitement about getting out there Sunday!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My words of advice for those that have never killed......enjoy the morning and the experience with the birds......took me 10 years but had some of the best times in the woods without a kill. I can remember nearly all the close encounters and misses better than the majority of the kills. It is all about the experience.....not so much the kill!

Good luck to you all..........patience grasshopper.....patience!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I was never interested in turkey hunting until I started seeing them more and more in my area (NJ). Once I decided to hunt them, I realized why people go nuts turkey hunting. This will be my 8th year of turkey hunting and still trying to get my first bird. NJ has a noon hunting rule and as a horrible excuse for my terrible skills I'll say I only got a chance to hunt a few days during turkey season. Regardless, I've become obsessed. To make matters worse, I'll be away for the first week. My wife planned and paid for a trip pre-Easter. We leave in the am of turkey opener.

You taking that better than me my wife will fully tell you she is a widow till sason is over she knew the deal going in and after 20 years never a complaints come spring and I hunt a lot for a short season. Good luck mayb some hens wil be nsting real hard when you get bck

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I wish all you guys luck this spring and remember the golden rule have to be on land that holds em to kill em enjoy the madness

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ yep. Gotta have the birds. Just like chasing anything else.

If you've got them, it's just a matter of putting in the time. If you don't, you need to find somewhere else to sit.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
To make matters worse, I'll be away for the first week. My wife planned and paid for a trip pre-Easter. We leave in the am of turkey opener.

Man I feel your pain. We don't have turkeys around home so I didn't hunt them much when I got married so I agreed to a spring wedding since it wasn't during duck season. Now I have permission to land with turkeys and we leave for an anniversary trip each year the same week as the opener. Fortunately I convinced her to leave on Sunday this year so I can at least hunt opening day.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I am looking for my first. This is my 3rd year trying but my first year consisted of one weekend in VA with another virgin but I guess it counts.

hopeless would be a compliment to our actual chances that year. This year I have improved my chances to grim Its gonna be fun regardless though. Glad to know I am not alone...

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck to everyone going for their first bird. Just remember it rarely looks like a TV show out there, they don't always gobble, they don't always strut and they don't walk straight in. Rarely do they do all three and it's just as likely that you kill a different bird then the one your actually trying to. Be patient, put in your time.

Hempie

Looking for my first as well this year. Last year was my first year, I got real close to bringing in a tom but he hung up. I'm gonna put a lot more effort in this year and see where it goes. The bug has bitten me real hard!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
good luck to all who are after their first,,,,,took me 5 years hunting public ground to finally kill one,,,,,reckon that's why I like public land best,,,but won't pass up private neither!!

you'll learn a lot along the way,,,,,,so enjoy the ride

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I'm going after my first North Carolina gobbler this year. Does that count?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
You taking that better than me my wife will fully tell you she is a widow till sason is over she knew the deal going in and after 20 years never a complaints come spring and I hunt a lot for a short season. Good luck mayb some hens wil be nsting real hard when you get bck
Lol,your wife and mine could share stories about us. Mine knew the deal going in. I don't golf,I don't go to bars,I hunt turkeys and during spring even if I'm at home my mind is in the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Travis299

Six Pointer
78 years young & going after my first Turkey. I have been fortunate to take many deer but old gobbler has always been a ghost to me. Maybe this year will be different.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
78 years young & going after my first Turkey. I have been fortunate to take many deer but old gobbler has always been a ghost to me. Maybe this year will be different.

Made me feel better, LOL

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yep,,will be my first time giving it a go,, hopefully this weekend we have some luck if not we'll keep going the nervousness and excitement is the joy of hunting

Absolute had a blast success with head in my Woods thanks to Scott McClain..

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4