How much $ to get into kayak fishing on the sound?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I'm sure some of you have some decent experience with fishing the sound/creeks in a kayak, perhaps trying out various kayaks over the years. I'd love to get a Hobie but good night, that's some cash layout for one of those. There's so much to pore over on the internet about this subject and so many of the youtube videos are about the modifications made. I love mods but I don't have one to mod yet and I want to make sure that the as-purchased kayak is very functional.

It seems the 'entry level' models lack a lot of Scotty mounts and if you want to add a depth finder or whatever, you're looking at mods right away.
I'd have to consider getting two (2) so that my son/wife/daughter/friend/foe/you (not in that order) can company me. But then heck, I'll wish I just bought a bay boat.
I'd have to consider hauling it around. Trailers get expensive it seems. Have a pickup with a 6-foot bed.

• Any models you'd recommend that gets you going and happy?
  • Any mods/additions that you just KNOW will be required and to figure into the price? (paddle?, cooloer of course)
  • Minimum length?
  • Sit "down in" or sit "up high" in a chair like a Hobie?

Some of the above questions are covered in the buying guides online such as the link following, but it's nice to hear user opinions... http://www.onthewater.com/2016-fishing-kayak-canoe-buyers-guide/

Last edited:

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bought three entry level last spring. There are about 10 ft sit on kayaks. They have rod holders and the bungee cord tie downs front and back. Lots of fun for the money. Dicks and Dunhams have big spring sells each year. I bought ours at Memorial Day. We use them at the lake and in the sound with no problems.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
12' is a good size. Tracks much better than a 10' and more room for gear.
If I didn't want to spend for a new one, I'd look for a good used one over an cheap new one.
I like wilderness systems.
Some outdoor stores have demo days in the spring where you can try out multiple brands.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks guys,

What is your budget?

A very excellent question for which I don't have a solid answer, but that's why I'm asking - I don't want to get sucked in b/c I think I can get a bare bones yak for 300 and then find myself spending 1-2-300 on extras and wishing I had a trolling motor, etc. I'm looking for a family vehicle b/c the current one is almost dead. My oldest is going to college next year...so I really shouldn't be asking about pleasure craft.

BUT I figured if the boat has to wait, I might be able to justify an entry-level yak.

I took a look at a few in Dicks and Academy today while in town. Saw the Field'n'Stream Eagle Talon 12' for 549, Perception Pescador Pro 10'6" (729) and Pro 12 (829) and Perception Striker 11'6" for 499

23mako

Ten Pointer
I have a native ultimate kayak that I like a lot. It is a 12 foot version. The things I like about it:

- It really is a kayak/canoe hybrid. I like how it holds gear like a canoe
- Is is light. weight about 50 pounds
- It paddles well
- The seat is extremely comfortable
- I can easily stand up in it
- There is a "lip" on the side of the kayak that makes it easy (and cheap) to put a "console" in and add accessories. I will see if I can dig up some pictures of what I am talking about.

Things I do not like
- I wish it were self bailing but it is not. It will hold water so it is not suitable to take in any sort of "rough water" (to remedy this I take a manual bilge pump with me)
- I wish it were a little longer so it would track better

There is a tandem model for sale on craigslist right now that is 950 (which I admit is steep). But if you had a younger child you may be able to justify the cost..

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/6079675113.html

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Can't go wrong with the field and stream eagle talon, especially for a first fishing yak. I got mine used for 400 and maybe put another 75 in it to be fish ready. More if you want electronics but I already had mine from my other kayak. If you shop around enough dicks will put them on sale for 399.99. Had mine on the water 4 or 5 times the last couple weeks including a trip to kitty hawk last weekend, and never complained once.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
12 ' is the best size for inshore, 10 is too small. If you ever plan to fish the big water(Ocean) i would get a 14 fter. I purchased a W/S ATAK 140 for $1400 this fall and it works great inshore and offshore. If you dont plan to go offshore stick with a 12 fter

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a kayak about 3 years ago, and I've about quite fishing out of my motor boat. Mine is not one of the "top of the line" models or brands. Perception makes some good mid-grade kayaks that won't break the bank. I would recommend a minimum of 12 foot up to about 14 foot. Sit on tops are usually preferable for fishing. My advice is, try some out before you buy. Some like or need lots of stability. Some folks want the ability to stand, some could care less. Try a few out from friends or dealers that will allow it to get an idea of what you prefer.
Especially the older you are, the more comfortable seat you will want...specifically a back rest. Most decent 'yaks today take this into account, but some of the lower and mid grade 'yaks don't, and you may have to modify and MacGyverize a comfortable seat.

THEN, if you want to modify whatever you choose, go on youtube and type in kayak fishing, kayak modifications, anchor trolly, kayak cart, etc. You will get plenty of neat ideas on how to set up your 'yak.

Also, consider your paddles. I use el cheapo wal-mart paddles, but you can go as crazy as you want up to a few hundred bucks on them. The slightly longer ones will keep you dryer, however.
You will also want a good comfortable life jacket.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Perception pescador. Or West Marine pompano. Same boat. Can be found on sale for under $400 sometimes. This is what I have and it works good. It's 12 foot and tracks great. Make sure you get the pescador angling. Comes with two flushmounts or just buy the regular and put the flushmounts in yourself.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Hmmm. If I had a place to store it, Dicks has those Talons 200 off for 399 now....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Perception pescador. Or West Marine pompano. Same boat. Can be found on sale for under $400 sometimes. This is what I have and it works good. It's 12 foot and tracks great. Make sure you get the pescador angling. Comes with two flushmounts or just buy the regular and put the flushmounts in yourself.

Check out the new Perception Pescador Pro 12.0 that is out now. Huge improvents in the comfort and rigging departments. I'm trying one out later today!

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
First day out in the Pescador and it paddles/tracks fine, the seat is as comfortable as the seat in my Native Ultimate and I think it's going to be a fine fishing machine.

<>< Fish

20170604_175953_RichtoneHDR_zps2st7eub4.jpg