Afternoon hunts

webfoot73

I've always hunted the morning and not to familiar with afternoon hunts. When do you go out? Do you hunt them the same way?

LadyHunter

Button Buck
In the afternoon when I killed mine...we just had to set up until we started hearing some gobbling and that's when we moved on them! Just don't over call like usual and be patient mine come in later in the evening, but usually anytime in the afternoon is good because they won't be henned up!

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
In the afternoon when I killed mine...we just had to set up until we started hearing some gobbling and that's when we moved on them! Just don't over call like usual and be patient mine come in later in the evening, but usually anytime in the afternoon is good because they won't be henned up!
When you say later in the evening, do you mean dusk?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LadyHunter

Button Buck
No this time of the year I killed it at about 4 4:30... so it was a good time before dark... you can catch them coming to the roost though... anytime after about 3:30 you should be golden! Oh, I would sit till dark so that you can slip out.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
Thanks! I'm sure hoping to see one. Tomorrow will be my first time going out and I'm super excited! I have no clue what I'm doing but gotta start somewhere!

LadyHunter

Button Buck
Well trust me you will love it! I'm sure some of the guys on here could give you more tips than me! Although, it is really your own style of hunting nothing like deer hunting for sure!!! You will love it!! Good Luck hope you kill a big thunder chicken! Oh, and if he is a good ways away I would close the distance on him and set up and sit tight! Good Luck

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
The last 4 turkeys I've killed have been afternoon birds. 3 of the 4 were killed after I found an area with sign, set up and cold called.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Between 4 and 7 is when I have birds gobbled for me. If they gobble more than once they usually are coming 99 percent of the time. Lots of times they gobble once and never leave the 1 or 2 hens that NEVER seem to leave.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
I'm sitting in the trees just off a field where they were seen yesterday evening. Glad I brought a ThermoCell cuz the skeeters are fierce!!

Not quite sure what to do now that I'm here. Do I call? Do I just sit and watch? If I call, what call should I make first and then how often should I call? There are just so many questions!!

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
To me Ghillie suits are WAY too hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. I've seen some that look pretty lightweight and thought maybe you could dress a little lighter underneath.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the input. I've seen some that look pretty lightweight and thought maybe you could dress a little lighter underneath.

Maybe so,the one I tried out was really hot. I have a lightweight leafy suit that I wear just the top of because briars made the pants into a kilt lol. It's pretty cool with just a t shirt underneath.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
Maybe so,the one I tried out was really hot. I have a lightweight leafy suit that I wear just the top of because briars made the pants into a kilt lol. It's pretty cool with just a t shirt underneath.

A leafy kilt!!! That made me lol here against my tree.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
Forgive my ignorance here, but are a leafy suit and a ghilly suit the same thing?

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Forgive my ignorance here, but are a leafy suit and a ghilly suit the same thing?

No, it's hard to explain but if you Google Ghillie suits and leafyflauge you'll see the difference. Either way neither one are necessary. I've had hens walk within 10 feet of me just wearing normal camouflage. Still,quiet,and setting up in the shade is the best camouflage there is.

LadyHunter

Button Buck
Not quite sure what to do now that I'm here. Do I call? Do I just sit and watch? If I call, what call should I make first and then how often should I call? There are just so many questions!!

I will say when you get sat down and get set up just give like a nomarl help call to sort of let him know where you are! Like somebody says if he gobbles he's coming majority of the time. Just do some soft calling and do not over call! Or wait till you hear one shot gobble and move in on him!

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Not quite sure what to do now that I'm here. Do I call? Do I just sit and watch? If I call, what call should I make first and then how often should I call?

Do a couple yelping series about every 5 minutes or so.... Keep an eye out for quiet birds sneaking in.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sit in a blind that birds use with binos and cold drinks. It's like deer hunting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntngolf

Six Pointer
ive been hunting in the afternoons a bunch and only ever got one that was gobbling. Just have never heard many ever gobble in the afternoon

GLOCKMASTER

Eight Pointer
I've killed a good many birds in the afternoon. I just start walking until I can find one that wants to cooperate unless I have heard one earlier then I try to wait it out.

Saturday at about 2 pm my girlfriend missed a huge gobbler. I had one gobbling then another appeared quietly out of no where. It was a little too far for her 20 ga factory loads and it was her first day turkey hunting. Friday we will be back at it

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
I had a big ol tom in front of me at about 25 yds this evening but missed the shot. I really need to be within 20 yards with the setup I have right now. I freaked out being that close and shot when I should have waited. It was still amazing to be even that close!

So far, I have been on two afternoon hunts. Going back out Saturday morning to give that a try.

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
No, it's hard to explain but if you Google Ghillie suits and leafyflauge you'll see the difference. Either way neither one are necessary. I've had hens walk within 10 feet of me just wearing normal camouflage. Still,quiet,and setting up in the shade is the best camouflage there is.

Thanks! I'm learning just how different turkey hunting is from deer hunting. Totally different mindset. But I'm loving it so far!

dstubbsunc

Eight Pointer
Had 2 gobbling like crazy around 4 yesterday they came in circle around me and stood in the same spot for what seemed like 20 minutes but just wouldn't commit. They may have seen me when I first walked into the area is the only thing that I can figure. Was kind of thick between me and them as well, who knows, I'll have another date with them! I'll be hitting the Jordan game lands starting tomorrow I've shot 2 there on afternoons hunts the last 2 out of 3 permit hunts.

Last edited:

Cat_Lady

so i dont necessarily have to wake up at 4am to kill a turkey?! hmmm ....for us who drive an hour plus to Game Lands, this is valuable info

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
I had a big ol tom in front of me at about 25 yds this evening but missed the shot. I really need to be within 20 yards with the setup I have right now. I freaked out being that close and shot when I should have waited. It was still amazing to be even that close!

So far, I have been on two afternoon hunts. Going back out Saturday morning to give that a try.

What setup do you have to only shoot 20 yards?

bellabarrie

Eight Pointer
What setup do you have to only shoot 20 yards?
My shotgun is an old Winchester 1400 MK II with Federal Premium 4 shot turkey load. I cannot change the choke on this shotgun (it is a modified choke barrel). The guy at the outdoor store where I got the shells told me to stay within 20 yards because of the choke.

I'm open to suggestions!