VA hunters concerned about lower deer numbers

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
f you failed to bring home venison for the freezer during the recent deer season, you had plenty of company.

Just seeing a deer was a challenge for some hunters who were left asking, “Where did all the deer go?”

The reported kill of 179,027 was the lowest since 1998, 14 percent below last year and well below the high of 259,147 in 2009.

All this has left some deer hunters wondering: “Are the good old days over?”

This dissatisfaction with the deer herd and hunter success isn’t lost on Matt Knox, the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries biologist in charge of the state’s deer program.

“For nearly a decade, I have been consistently writing that the liberal doe regulations we enacted about a decade ago would eventually lead to a decline in the deer herd and the deer kill, especially on private land in eastern Virginia,” he said.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/outdo...cle_80ec274b-32ed-5528-b41f-157d10bbbeb1.html

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
since some areas of NC were looking at a 20% reduction last year versus 2015: I suspect NC hunters have "concerns"

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
since some areas of NC were looking at a 20% reduction last year versus 2015: I suspect NC hunters have "concerns"

I doubt it.

If you read the article it mentions a large segment of VA doe hunters did not/do not want the seasons and limits lowered.

I suspect the same in NC.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think that hunters are going to have to come to grip with reality. The maximum either sex season will be ending soon in NC.