My lab can not pee - serious question

dixie.tom

Twelve Pointer
Came home today to find my 9 yr old black lab not able to pee. He goes outside, tries and tries, maybe a few drops or a very short urine stream and then he just keeps trying to go, but nothing is happening. Grunts every now and then like he is in pain, and now his tail is tucked under him. Only local vet is closed. Never seen him like this. Anyone here ever seen anything like this... advise?

JPJ II

Six Pointer
Look up the number for the emergency vet. Drive him there.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Get him to a vet hospital or emergency clinic. It will cost you, but your dog needs to be seen right away.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
As others said, nothing to sit on take him right in...

Complications resulting from functional urinary retention may come from a lower urinary tract infection that ascends into the bladder; rupture of the urinary bladder or urethra; and permanent injury and atony (weakness/loss of coordination) to the detrusor muscle, the muscular layer of the urinary bladder wall, which contracts, pushes down on the contents of the bladder, and causes the urine to leave the body through the urethra.

http://m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/urinary/c_dg_urinary_retention

country

Ten Pointer
If you are around raleigh area - I have used VSH. Had good results but as others have said emergency vets will cost you but if they save your pet it is well spent.

kwag

Button Buck
I've heard of labs "spraining" their tail from swimming and making it so they cannot defecate. Hurts to raise tail and push. Hope things work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Get him to a vet. You can actually massage their bladder and help it along but not sure about a blockage. I had to do that for a lab that got hit by a car

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
My lab had this issue when the Nieghbor's dog went into heat. Vet gave him a steroid pack and said it was a prostate issue.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like kidney stones. Had a 2 year old Boykin I had to put to sleep due to the severity. But that was a very rare instance. Either way, dog needs to be seen by vet.

Yep I'd bet kidney stones. My border collie had a massive kidney stone and I was about ready to put her down but she passed it last minute. It's not cheap to have it removed especially if it's moved into their urinary tract.

dixie.tom

Twelve Pointer
Thanks to everyone who replied. We took action, but we had to have the ole guy put down. He had bladder stones, and alot of them. One large one, and many small ones in his bladder, but that was not the issue. He had several smaller ones that had worked down into his uretha. They also found a small tumor next to his bladder. The surgery to remove the bladder stones would have involved 4 -5 incisions into his uretha to remove those stones, which were causing the blockage, as well as going into his bladder to remove the other stones from his bladder. Dr said that with his age and the scope of this surgery she did not know if he would even make it through the surgery, which she estimated would last 3 hours or more, then she said the recovery for this, especially the incisions into his uretha would be difficult and his chance of complications from that were numerous and very painful. She suggested the actions we took. Very difficult and I am just now getting back on the forum, but I know we made the right decision. He was in so much pain. Thanks again for your replies.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I hate to hear that. But if it was best for him, im glad you put him down. There's no reason to force him to go through it if the chances of recovery are slim and painful.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very sorry for your loss. Our pets depend on us to do what's best for them, even if those decisions are extremely difficult.
Sometimes prolonging their lives is a very selfish act on our part. When their quality of life is over, we have that responsibility to act.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Dixie, i am so sorry to hear this. We had our lab put down about a month and half ago. It is still hard on the family now. Prayers go out to anyone who is dealing with this situation.

jimmyjam

Six Pointer
Sorry for your lose. Very hard thing to do. Had to do it ourselves about 2 years ago, very tough but the right thing to do for them.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Sorry for your loss. That is a tough decision and it hurts, but you know your doing what is best for them.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Wow that's terrible. Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you made the right decision, which is not always the easiest one.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Dixie.Tom thank you for asking this well informed forum and taking immediate action. I imagine many dog owners in this world would have taken a long time to notice the problem and lengthened the suffering. I hope you find solace in the fact that we would all like somebody watching over us in that way.

I know it was tough, but I know you did the right thing.

ANd I'm so sorry.