Casting reel recommendations for 12-footer

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Recently had an old heaver re-worked with new guides. I have never used a casting reel before but need one for this rod. Is an Ambassadeur 5000 too small?

Any specific recommendations in looking over the used market? What to watch out for? Are some worn out but maybe easy to rebuild?

Level wind or no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If you find a decent level wind let me know. Grew up and still using mostly spinning reels, an evil contraption designed by one of Satan's angels who interned in Poland. :D

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The Ambassador 5000 is fine if you want to refine it and cast nothing but a sinker for practice. To small to be practical.

NEW is a good way to go with conventional reels.....some used reels have been too close to the SAND and water.

I like Diawa. Look at a Diawa SL 30. Penn Squall.

Good luck!!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Daiwa saltest 20 and 30 are great on a 8 to 12 rod.
Have several and lots better then the old level wind.

with out look at the current Daiwa sealine SHA or something in those lines

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes, Abu 5000 is too small for that rod. I surf fish with them, but on 8' rods. For a 12 footer you should go to the Abu 7000 size, and use 6000/6500 for 10 footer. The 5000 would not hold enough line for a 12 foot rod. You would not throw it all off, but after a long cast there would not be enough left for a fish to run a short distance.

Lots of good surf casting reels out there other than Abu, but those are the size reels to best match up with those length rods. Good luck!

Edited to add: after you get the rod set up with a caster, you will love it and never go back to surf fishing with spinning equipment. Bait casters are so much easier on you and will get greater distance.

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
If you find a decent level wind let me know. Grew up and still using mostly spinning reels, an evil contraption designed by one of Satan's angels who interned in Poland. :D

Well, I'll be. I didn't know about the Poland internship. No wonder I had huge balls of mono as I cast into a 20mph wind yesterday...

hawkman

Eight Pointer
The 5000 would not hold enough line for a 12 foot rod. You would not throw it all off, but after a long cast there would not be enough left for a fish to run a short distance.

This casting distance thing intrigues me. I can't throw an 8'n'bait worth a crap on a 12 heaver with a spinning reel. I read about people reaching the "2nd bar" and I wonder if they are calling the dry sand beach the "first" one, b/c I aint reaching the 2nd.... :)

....after you get the rod set up with a caster, you will love it and never go back to surf fishing with spinning equipment. Bait casters are so much easier on you and will get greater distance.

I'm nervous about em but optimistic...

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Did I mention I'm a lefty and feel like a fish out of water trying to reel a casting reel with the right hand? I understand the Squall comes in a lefty but also understand that most people, lefty righty, just 'get used to it' and fish with the standard right-hand conventional reel...

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm nervous about em but optimistic...
You will get used to it in a hurry, it is much easier learning to use bait casting equipment for surf fishing than for bass fishing. After a while your only surf fishing use of spinning equipment will be a plugging rod for Spanish, blues, etc.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Are some of these reels, such as the Squall and Saltist also just used as jigging or boat reels as well? Some the reviews talk about them only in that capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They are do all reels.

I fish red drum in he fall with them and then use them for catfish reels and boat rods on 7 to 7.5' rods.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have fished 50$ reels up to 550$ reels for casting.

The high $$ are good and yes there is a difference...
But not really needed and most will not be able to see, feel or use the difference in them.

When I was playing with the saltist it just fit and just about anyone that fished it could feel the difference and see it. But there is nothing wrong with the next step down from them. Used them for years and they hold up.

If you plan to cast a bunch and use on boat rods stick with the 20. They fit the hand and rod better.
Jigs and surf cast only just go with the 30.

I must have got 100 blues casting the 20 saltist on a 7'11" rod casting steel. Sure did work great.
BTW I load them, saltists with PowerPro 30 to 40 on the small ones and 65 to 80 on the larger ones.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
go with a 6500 Or 7000 blue Yonder or a Daiwa Millionaire 7 size

for a spinner i would use one with a baitrunner feature. 6500 shimano Baitrunner is my favorite for a spinner

Red Drum Tackle.jpg Red drum Tackle Shimano 6500.jpg

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Man, that's like my old Speedmaster Shimano - or that era anyway. I've got two small 2250 GTX Speedmasters with the single-hand "line-pick-up-and bail-opening lever". Can't remember their name for that.