New York

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
We have a farm in Central NY (Cayuga County outside of Auburn). Our spring season opens 1 May. Lot of toms strutting for the last 3-4 weeks but they'll be really ramping up any time now. What can I help you with and were you thinking about any particular part of the state?

Lance

Sowzees

Button Buck
I have. I grew up in northern New York. The turkey hunting is excellent in that area and most of NY save maybe the mountain areas. Now that I'm in NC hunting gamelands I can tell you New York farmland is much easier and better hunting!

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
My cousin crushes it every dang year in western NY ( jamestown area). This thing about NY that alot of people dont realize is that when you get outside of NYC, a huge portion of the state is farmland. It was #2 in dairy production at one point....you dont get to that point without an awful lot of cows/farmlands.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
You'll be a few miles from our daughter and her family.

You should see birds. The season limit is two bearded birds but only one per day, stop hunting at noon and you can use a bow, crossbow or shotgun (no larger than #2 shot). There's good trout fishing in the area too and a non-resident one day license is only $10 and a seven day is only $28....

Due to archaic laws that area still requires that you wear a back tog so you'll need to spend a buck or two in a tag holder or borrow one. The law says it must be visible on your back while hunting.

Good luck.

Lance

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer

You should see birds. The season limit is two bearded birds but only one per day, stop hunting at noon and you can use a bow, crossbow or shotgun (no larger than #2 shot). There's good trout fishing in the area too and a non-resident one day license is only $10 and a seven day is only $28....

Due to archaic laws that area still requires that you wear a back tog so you'll need to spend a buck or two in a tag holder or borrow one. The law says it must be visible on your back while hunting.

Good luck.

Lance

I have plenty of extra back tag holders if you need one. PA doesn't require them anymore. Seems like every year I would forget mine and have to buy another. Bet you I have 6 or more...

redbow

Ten Pointer

Good luck.

Lance
Thanks Lance. Never chased turkeys out of NC. Looking forward to it.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have plenty of extra back tag holders if you need one. PA doesn't require them anymore. Seems like every year I would forget mine and have to buy another. Bet you I have 6 or more...

I carry a few extra holders when deer hunting to affix the carcass tag as they are a lot more secure that way.

NY is one of only two states that require back tags and even then we don't require them in the much of the Adirondacks or Catskills....

Lance