If I spotspray

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If I spot spray Johnson grass and enough times with glyphosate, will I eventually kill it?!?! Killed off about 7 acres of fescue trying to re-establish native grasses. A combination of oust xp and glyphosate pretty much nuked the fescue but I keep having small patches of the spawn of Satan pop up. Glyphosate kills it on top, but a couple weeks later I have more sprouting. I know the reasons why it does, I just want to know will I eventually kill it out???

Last edited:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I would use Outrider. I have seen it really knock the Johnson grass out of a stand of native grass. Not labeled for switchgrass.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
What are you planning on planting back? I hope to be doing that same thing this fall in areas around my fields but have not decided what to plant.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Glyphosate will usually kill Johnson grass fine, but you may have to apply it at the right rate and the right growth stage to get the best results. Check the label instructions for specific weeds.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
What are you planning on planting back? I hope to be doing that same thing this fall in areas around my fields but have not decided what to plant.

Nothing for the time being. Gonna wait and see what's in the seedbank. 9/10 times, replanting isn't really necessary.
I actually have wild bobwhites here. How and why they're still here is beyond me. I've planted a few strips of millet and milo. Really did it for doves but the quail will benefit somewhat too. Gonna leave the mill standing.
Was gonna plant sunflowers strictly for doves but the deer are so bad here, I felt I was wasting my time and money planting them. I did plant a half acre patch of corn and sunflowers behind my barn where deer can't get to.
My intentions are to shoot doves at least a couple days a week during the season. No intentions of bangin'em up, just 3-6 of an evening to keep dog tuned up.

m75rlg

Spike
Let the Johnson grass grow to the stage of just before the seeds ripen. (Already set on the stalks, but still green.) You can do that right through your crop if the Johnson grass is taller than your crop when mature so that you can locate it. Then spot spray with 2% glyphosate until wet. I've been told that at this stage that will kill the foliage, seeds, and rizome.

There will always be a few spots coming back the next year, but if you do this several years running you will get ahead of most of it. However every time you bring a piece of machinery into the field from the outside, you get a few new seeds, or even your truck after driving somewhere with johnson grass has seeds in the undercarraige. You never really end the problem, but you will only have the isolated sprouting. Get lazy and skip a couple seasons, and your back to a significant problem.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Let the Johnson grass grow to the stage of just before the seeds ripen. (Already set on the stalks, but still green.) You can do that right through your crop if the Johnson grass is taller than your crop when mature so that you can locate it. Then spot spray with 2% glyphosate until wet. I've been told that at this stage that will kill the foliage, seeds, and rizome.

There will always be a few spots coming back the next year, but if you do this several years running you will get ahead of most of it. However every time you bring a piece of machinery into the field from the outside, you get a few new seeds, or even your truck after driving somewhere with johnson grass has seeds in the undercarraige. You never really end the problem, but you will only have the isolated sprouting. Get lazy and skip a couple seasons, and your back to a significant problem.

Finding it ain't no problem. Right now it's the only thing green in 7 acres. And really it's not that bad. Got 4 different spots about the size of a full size pickup. I hit it again yesterday. I'll do what you said and let it get more mature. I've got some Bermuda patches that will need tending to when it starts greening up, but I'm gonna hit it with arsenal and I was told the Johnson grass won't survive it either. Just makes me twitch now because everything is dead like it should be, but I noticed some young blackberries sprouting in what was thick fescue last year. Slowly but surely.