Flatheads are doing good.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Caught a 47 and a 36 this morning. Lost another nice one in the trash then had some technical difficulties and had to call it a day.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Nice job...Good eating as well..I used to catch them jokers out of Santee- Cooper with chunks of hot dogs, the cheapest brand the grocer had on his shelf..

Last edited:

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Caught a 47 and a 36 this morning. Lost another nice one in the trash then had some technical difficulties and had to call it a day.

Where did you find them? Not asking for Specific river or location. Just wondering about if they were in brush piles, holes, or what?

Great fish by the way!

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Few things in the water that are more fun to catch than a big flathead, and those are sure-nuff nice ones!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where did you find them? Not asking for Specific river or location. Just wondering about if they were in brush piles, holes, or what?

Great fish by the way!
Yadkin, deepest, trashiest holes I can find. Fish right up against the trash and when they bite be ready to fight. You can't let them get back in that mess or they will wrap you up.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Few things in the water that are more fun to catch than a big flathead, and those are sure-nuff nice ones!
They are just about all I fish for. I do crappie fish and drift for blues for fish to eat. But they are my recreational fish of choice. I mean they are great to eat but it is almost like eating a family pet to me as much as I enjoy catching them.

Last ones I eat was when I was fishing tournaments and a couple people had that were obviously were going to make it made it to my table. That has been well over ten years ago.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Yadkin, deepest, trashiest holes I can find. Fish right up against the trash and when they bite be ready to fight. You can't let them get back in that mess or they will wrap you up.

Thanks, what kind of rif you tying on? Also, what's deep considered for that river?

Sorry for all the questions. Friend introduced me to flathead fishing about a year ago and my PB so far is 27 LB's want to get a 35lb+ this year.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks, what kind of rif you tying on? Also, what's deep considered for that river?

Sorry for all the questions. Friend introduced me to flathead fishing about a year ago and my PB so far is 27 LB's want to get a 35lb+ this year.
Deep is relative, if the river is running 10' deep and you find a 16' hole with structure you are golden. I was fishing 21' deep where it was normally was about 10-12'.

When fishing the river I use float rigs so I can let them drift right up against the trash. I use 130# braid with either 7-0 wide bend or 9-0 conventional hooks. I am always either in rocks or debris and you you have to throw it to them soon as they take the bait and still they most of the time will get back in logs and stumps. You just have to keep the pressure on them and drag them out.

If I fish lakes I use much lighter line with carolina rigs.

Last edited:

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
Deep is relative, if the river is running 10' deep and you find a 16' hole with structure you are golden. I was fishing 21' deep where it was normally was about 10-12'.

When fishing the river I use float rigs so I can let them drift right up against the trash. I use 130# braid with either 7-0 wide bend or 9-0 conventional hooks. I am always either in rocks or debris and you you have to throw it to them soon as they take the bait and still they most of the time will get back in logs and stumps. You just have to keep the pressure on them and drag them out.

If I fish lakes I use much lighter line with carolina rigs.

Thanks for the detailed help man. Try to learn as much as I can from guys who know what their doing.