Charleston SC

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Headed down there today and dont have anything lined up to do.
I've been once before but it was for a class and didnt have much time to do anything so I didn't look around to much, but I did go check out Isle of Palms.

Can anyone here tell me some "must see" places or any restaurants they recommend?

sent from...... Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was in Charleston about a year ago for work. I HATED it. Traffic was HORRIBLE! The best place we ate, was a seafood joint in North Charleston. Can't remember the name, but I think it had "Crab" in the name. You can always go into the historic district, around the Battery for sight seeing. Then, for outdoor interest, the Frances Marion National Forest is nearby.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I loved it there. We didn't drive around much so traffic wasn't an issue. Went to the historic district and walked the whole city. Lot's of good food but a little pricey. On the recommendation of my wife we went and listened to a time share proposal for 1 hour in which they fed us donuts and coffee and in return got a ticket for a horse and carriage ride, the harbor tour by boat, including the old fort, and a pass to a nearby plantation. I love old architecture so I enjoy just looking at everything.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I really like charleston. We used to every year to SEWE. Restaurants I'd recommend are Husk. It's really good but you'll probably need reservations. Hymen seafood is kinda the seafood place everyone goes to. To me, the seafood is average at best but there's a lot of history me memorabilia in the place and every table has name tags of the celebrities that have ate at your table. I lucked up a couple years ago and sat where Vanilla Ice had set.....lucky me. Hahaha.

double

Twelve Pointer
N Charleston is a shady shady place. Lots of robberies happen there that most never hear about.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Hyman's. Best seafood I've eaten. The catfish was perfectly fried. Crawdads delicious. Numerous celebrities pictures are on the walls. Metal tags on our table had AC/DC, Beach Boys, one of Batman actors. Coats is another good restaurant. Used one of the guys that pull a cart with a bicycle to get there and back to the hotel. I went to the aircraft carrier while the wife shopped. Could spend all day there. Wanted to go to Magnolia Gardens(Plantation?) but ran out of time. Actually, needed a lot more time. The battery was ok. Can say I've been there. Stayed at the Francis Marion.

e16f100fc1a5f67213013049164c5713.jpg
38e2bc6c676c3afb138cfcadc7a7df47.jpg
b4e8c3b16195f7eba4601c75dfd29987.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Not off to a good start, we didnt make it to Rocky Mount and light came on in the car.....nail in my tire..😠

sent from...... Tapatalk

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Ive been wanting to see the uss Yorktown.

I went through the carrier in '84. Lot more planes now. Have jets now, too. A-4, A-6, A-7, F-4, F-8, F9F, F-14, F/A-18, S-3B(jet Bush landed on a carrier in), and a few more. Will say the F-4, 14, 18 are a little smaller than I thought they would be. The sub is no longer there, destroyer is, and now have a Vietnam war themed display on shore. If you like this kind of stuff, plan on being there all day. The bolt that holds the hook, that grabs the wire, is smaller than I thought it would be, too. It is about the diameter of my finger.
66e3f50c12e78d341bdd2d1f7c827cee.jpg
5f6441ccf018907ef14ce7f3bcaa72f4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
If you want good low country style food, try Jestines. It's on Market street a few blocks north of Hymans seafood. It's the one place we always eat when we are in Charleston. It's not a chain, and the food is excellent and not too pricey. Great shrimp and grits and the fried green tomatoes are the bomb...

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Make sure to take a horse/buggy ride........you will learn more history about the section you travel in 1 hr than you would reading 5 books.
The next day, DO IT AGAIN...and they send you thru a different section of the city,,,learning even more.

Try eating shrimp n grits........I had never had it and love it now.

The bus/trolley system is super nice and saves driving all over.....since public parking is limited and a pain.

Go thru the Big Historic City Market, and down to the park with giant pineapple fountain on the river then Rainbow Row.

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Charleston is a really cool place, history everywhere. The Patriot's Point naval museum is a must-see. The aquarium is a good tourist trap to visit. Lots of stuff to do and see all over the historic district. One of my favorite seafood restaurants is Shem Creek Bar & Grill on the MT Pleasant side of the bridge.

james.c.wiseman

Button Buck
My first trip down and I went to Low Country Bistro for lunch, best decision I made all week. She-Crab soup is addictive. Isle of Palms has the best strip of beach anywhere, laid back and quite. Enjoy your trip

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you want good low country style food, try Jestines. It's on Market street a few blocks north of Hymans seafood. It's the one place we always eat when we are in Charleston. It's not a chain, and the food is excellent and not too pricey. Great shrimp and grits and the fried green tomatoes are the bomb...

This! The pickles they bring you are awesome too. Worth going to Charleston just to eat here.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I've been quite a few times for work and I was there last fall for a conference, wife went to Jestine's and said she really liked it. Normally hit Hyman's when I'm in town as well. My table had a tag for Darius Rucker. Definitely walk the Battery. Good friend of mine graduated from the College of Charleston, he told me to walk through campus (downtown near the Francis Marion hotel), wife and I did that as well. Doesn't look like a traditional campus as most buildings are historical homes and buildings. If you like baseball they have a minor league team, the Charleston RiverDogs. If you like alcohol, you'll have no problems finding all the bars you want.

If your wife loves to shop, avoid King Street.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Got back home yesterday and wanted to thank everyone for their replies.
I had a good time nand may have to back again in the near future because it's to much to see in 3 days.

sent from...... Tapatalk