Dragged my boat to the bayou

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
My son has for many years asked to fish the Gulf of Mexico, so I decided to make it happen. Hooked up and made the 14 hour tow down to Venice Marina. We stayed on a houseboat, it's so nice to step out the back door and onto the boat. It's really nice to have a cleaning station, ice maker and chest freezer right there on the patio as well. The days we got offshore yielded yellowfin and snapper, inshore the reds and specs were biting. Really cool that my dad came down @75yo and made a few trips with us. Made some great memories. Would love to go down there again during duck season, it looks phenomenal for a duck hunting/fishing trip. Enjoy

Attachments

• DJI_0045.jpg
    DJI_0045.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DJI_0047.jpg
    DJI_0047.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 224
  • DJI_0057.jpg
    DJI_0057.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_3824.jpg
    IMG_3824.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3702.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 219

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Nice. We fished Venice for a week in Dec 2016 and had a great time. I really wish I had done a cast and blast, because the waterfowl were about as thick as I've ever seen anywhere. Glad you had fun.

Being from Baton Rouge you definitely picked a great spot to go fishing out of! Glad you enjoyed my home state! Good luck on duck hunting there... You'll see more boats with hunters than you will ducks!

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Beautiful location and photos. 3 generations together on a boat. Priceless.
Did you rent the place or know someone? (or own it?)
I take it you have experience with deep sea fishing...

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Thanks guys, the Louisiana delta is something all sportsman should experience. Hey Ragin, I'm from LaPlace. My dad still lives there in the house I grew up in. I've taken my boy to fish the inshore waters I used to fish down there, but never the Gulf. It's been 25 years since I've been down there.

Hawkman, having my dad and son on the boat was the highlight of the trip. I know those days are numbered and only a few left. I rented the houseboat on vrbo, there are many down there, but they book up fast. And yes, me and my boy are experienced fisherman, but we do seek out local knowledge wherever we go.

2boyz, happy to share. Glad you enjoy them.

Thanks guys, the Louisiana delta is something all sportsman should experience. Hey Ragin, I'm from LaPlace. My dad still lives there in the house I grew up in. I've taken my boy to fish the inshore waters I used to fish down there, but never the Gulf. It's been 25 years since I've been down there.

Awesome! So you definitely grew up fishing specks and reds. I love me some blackened red fish! You had a great haul for going out in your own boat after not fishing there for that many years.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
For some that would be the fishing trip of a lifetime, I know it would be for me..I am glad you all had a great fishing trip and got onto the fish..

A friend of mine wanted to move down that way a few years ago with his Son but sadly my friend never lived to make it there..I was hoping for an invite when he did make the move..

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
For some that would be the fishing trip of a lifetime, I know it would be for me..I am glad you all had a great fishing trip and got onto the fish..

A friend of mine wanted to move down that way a few years ago with his Son but sadly my friend never lived to make it there..I was hoping for an invite when he did make the move..

Sorry to hear about your friend. Not every day was a banner day, we had some windy days we fished inshore and didn't do as well as we'd hoped, same offshore on our last day. Sharks getting to our baits before the tuna, but that fishing. I try to make every trip with my son an epic one, but we've learned to take what we get and make the best of it. Next one is going to be Memorial Day weekend, (OBX or MHC) praying for clear skies and fair winds. Honestly, I think that my son is the man he is because I took him fishing and hunting. The things he's learned on the water and in the woods have certainly helped him in life. Specifically, responsibilities, awareness and how to take orders. I could not be more proud of him.

Ya'll know what today is?

National signing day, the tunanut family officially has a Hokie!

Attachments

• vt signing.jpg
    vt signing.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 57

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Tunanut you are doing right by your Son, glad to hear it..You can bet what you have done for and with him will follow that young man for the rest of his life..I only wish I had that when I was growing up not all of us are so lucky in life..

I was wondering if you have ever fished Georgetown SC..My Wife and I worked and lived in SC for 35 years. We used to go to Georgetown often and fish Winyah Bay and the rock jetties at the mouth of the bay. A friend of mine use to fish offshore Georgetown they often went out to the City of Richmond a ferry that sank out there many years ago and he and others that I know used to catch a lot of fish there..We usually had good luck fishing the bay and the rocks, many days of fun fishing out there from the past in our memories.

The Waccamaw and the Great Pee Dee Rivers empty into Winyah Bay, in the Waccamaw we used to catch some very nice Arkansas Blue Catfish, great eating better then Flounder to me out of that brackish water..We fished just beyond the hwy 17 bridge on a drop off in the Waccamaw..There was also a hole near the lighthouse in Winyah Bay that held large Redfish usually on high tide.. We used to throw cut mullet or mud minnows into that hole and hang on. It took some stout tackle to get those Redfish to the boat. It was a good Speckled Trout hole at times also, and every now and then Flounder..A friend of mine and I were fishing near that hole one day for Trout when he hooked into something big..He reeled in a 12.68 lb. Flounder, we had him weighted on certified scales at the marina in Georgetown..Good luck to you both on Memorial day..

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congrats to your family. Great school.

I could not see your motors in this thread but I think you run twin 150's?? Would you do the same if/when you repower?

ecufan

Eight Pointer
That looks like a wonderful trip.I would love to do something like that one day. Thanks for sharing.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Tunanut you are doing right by your Son, glad to hear it..You can bet what you have done for and with him will follow that young man for the rest of his life..I only wish I had that when I was growing up not all of us are so lucky in life..

I was wondering if you have ever fished Georgetown SC..My Wife and I worked and lived in SC for 35 years. We used to go to Georgetown often and fish Winyah Bay and the rock jetties at the mouth of the bay. A friend of mine use to fish offshore Georgetown they often went out to the City of Richmond a ferry that sank out there many years ago and he and others that I know used to catch a lot of fish there..We usually had good luck fishing the bay and the rocks, many days of fun fishing out there from the past in our memories.

The Waccamaw and the Great Pee Dee Rivers empty into Winyah Bay, in the Waccamaw we used to catch some very nice Arkansas Blue Catfish, great eating better then Flounder to me out of that brackish water..We fished just beyond the hwy 17 bridge on a drop off in the Waccamaw..There was also a hole near the lighthouse in Winyah Bay that held large Redfish usually on high tide.. We used to throw cut mullet or mud minnows into that hole and hang on. It took some stout tackle to get those Redfish to the boat. It was a good Speckled Trout hole at times also, and every now and then Flounder..A friend of mine and I were fishing near that hole one day for Trout when he hooked into something big..He reeled in a 12.68 lb. Flounder, we had him weighted on certified scales at the marina in Georgetown..Good luck to you both on Memorial day..

We usually fish out of Georgetown a couple times a year, I prefer it to Charleston. Usually stay at the Hampton Inn and keep the boat at the docks out back. Definitely some good fishing in that area.

Congrats to your family. Great school.

I could not see your motors in this thread but I think you run twin 150's?? Would you do the same if/when you repower?

I don't think 150's are near enough for my 26 Regulator, it's a heavy boat. I was thinking 2 300's. With the 200's that are on there now I can cruse 27kts @ 4000 burning 19gph. WOT 38kts@5200, but milage really stinks 35gph. Those Freemans down in Venice just blew by me like I was standing still. Most had quad 300's, some quad 350's. All the Contenders and Yellowfins had at least trip 300's. This is all would see from them in the morning. I was joking with the Capt of Wild Bill. "Man, with quad 350's you can leave the dock around 8 and still make it to the rigs before 7." He laughed, "it's not that fast, but you do get use to running 60 kts, makes quick work of the river run.

Attachments

• IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 41

witler

Eight Pointer
Wow, and the envy flows through my veins. Did get a chance to go to Gulf Shores last year, nice trip but doesn't compare to your adventure.