Trail cam newbie- suggestions needed

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
I live on a small lake and have lots of wildlife footprints at lake edge. I want to see what it is. So I need to get a trail cam. I have a nearby neighbor so I prefer that the cam doesn't have a visible flash if that doesn't compromise the quality of the pictures. One of the fellows here posted a link to a refurb site which I'm not opposed to. What do you recommend? Thank you. Ncfish.

wl704

Ten Pointer
In a public and or potentially visible location my rule is to not spend a lot as the cam may be stolen.

Look for a 'black LED' or infrared flash. Primos was clearing out some of their old line last year and Bushnell this year...so I picked up some cams for under $30 each. These cheap cams aren't going to be much more than 6 or 8MP cams.

Samples night pics follow...
819930f9c29326c32dd2df56baec9e4b.jpg
d55c4e5ebc2d0f0813afeca0590bd9d8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

randall729

I have a Moultrie #404 and I like it. I got it from a Dunham store. Was reasonable.

wl704

Ten Pointer
Places I look for cheap cams or good deals: camofire.com, dicks/academy (model close outs), midway (occasionally has a deal)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I loaded up on some Covert MP8 black flashes on Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $87.99 each. They were new 2016 40 led black flash with 2 year warranties also. They are solid cameras and I have some that are 4 years old that are working great. Be careful and not let the vendors sell you the 27 leds for new ones unless they give you a better deal. Even though the 27 leds are great cameras you get a much better picture at night with the 40 leds.

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
Thanks for weighing in. I picked up a primos from dicks and have set it up. Nice daytime pics, none at night so far

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
POPOP: Good luck with the Covert Black Flash. I got three and all three of them leaked the first time it rained. On top of that Covert wanted me to pay to return the defective cameras to them.