Live crawfish?

It's spring and I have not had my fill of crawfish yet... Before I pay $250 to a Louisiana company to fly 40lbs of mud bugs up here, does anybody know of any place I can buy live crawfish anywhere within 2 hours of the Triad area? I'm hoping to find a seafood distributor that purchases from the gulf coast that can pick some up for me while they are down there. Any help would be much appreciated!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Some of the seafood houses in Raleigh carry them.
I called them up and placed orders all the time.
It has been a few years so who knows now.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Atlantic Seafood in Hampstead gets them every Thursday or Friday during the season. I'm not sure if they have a closer location to you.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Saltwater Seafood in Raleigh has them. I forget the Price Per Pound though. Their email promotion said arriving tomorrow.

I'm looking at wheeler's FB page now, and they say $7-10 per pound. That is astronomical compared to the $1.50 per pound I'm used to paying. I could fly them here for that and get select grade (larger) ones for the same price...

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I get mine from this guy outside of Fayetteville. Has his own ponds and catches daily as needed. Last I got was $4.50/lb.
910-624-2426

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We used to do a big boil every year. We bought local and price wasn't much different than ones we had shipped in. But quality was not as good.

That's what I'm afraid of... Since you've had both, what would you recommend, order or buy local? Were the local ones small? Were there any decent sized ones?

I'm really leaning toward just ordering them as I know they will be "select" size.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
I recommend you go ahead and order. Louisiana crawfish company is who we use. I would rather buy local, but for quality and availability there is no comparison.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I recommend you go ahead and order. Louisiana crawfish company is who we use. I would rather buy local, but for quality and availability there is no comparison.

That's all I've used since I moved up here and you can get 40 lbs of purged with 2 bags of seasoning for around $180 including shipping. And there are very, very few dead ones in the sack.

Last edited:

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Alright, You guys talked me into just ordering them from LA. I'll post pics in a week or 2 when I boil them.

Sure you got it figured out. But we boil corn, potatoes, and mushrooms in season. After we remove them throw in mud bugs. We act extra spices to make everything warm. One of my favorite eatings.

You might just made me put an order in.

Huh? I boil everything together... I start with the potatoes as soon as I turn on the burner, then chop the lemons and toss them in, then throw everything else in before the bugs go in. You forgot the onions, garlic, sausage, and green beans!

Last edited: