---- Tribute to an old one -----

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I struck out at 8:30 this morning. My intention was to be there on the roost this morning but I let my wife sleep in as she needed the rest and I took my daughter to school. After arriving on the farm I walked along the long farm road softly calling carefully listening for any response. 15min in I had several distant gobbles and caught a glimpse further down the road of what looked to be strutting tom. I circled a hedge row in the field where he looked to be heading too and set up on the side of a old barn. Soon after he appeared and absolutely shut down the rest of the woods gobbling with authority. I called softley to him purring and yelping and he commited.... So I thought. He closed the distance to 60yds when a hen arrived and changed his mind. He turned and headed for her pulling him away at the other end of the field. Strutting what seemed like constantly he worked his way to her. She bugged for a bit and eased over to the ole' fella and squatted down 5yds next to him. He was ready to oblige as I am sure he has done countless times before. After the deed she flapped her wings a bit and continued to bug the field. I purred softley again and both birds started working my way. After an hour or so they finally were within shooting range. I shot him at 30yds. I hated that it was over but I am gratefull for being able to witness such a display from this old gobbler. He has gotten the best of me on several occasions. I am truly humbled today as I tried to give my best to him. Soft talk and a clean kill.

11 1/4" beard
1 1/8" rounded off Spurs
23 #'s

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like a great hunt! Congratulations! And that's a big ole tom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I would say that's a better experience than the textbook fly down from the roost and boom hes dead hunt. Id love to get to see all that happen. Congrats on the stud of a bird!

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks fellas. It's was a hunt that will be etched in my mind for quite some time. When I first seen this bird his head was solid red. When the hen came out it went immediately to white. It was neat to witness the courtship.