Dog that digs

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Hog tie them...

if you want to keep them in dig out a section about 6" down and 1' back them add a section or hog wire or fencing.

If their goal is to dig out then after they fail several times they give up and turn to dig in the yard but not out.
I stopped one with white pepper.
They start to dig then they start sneezing so bad they cant dig.

found labs like chili powder and other hot sauce. Made them dig more but White pepper will stop most.

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Just like ANY wrong doing, you MUST catch them in the act....so they associate the punishment with the crime......then I hold them down, usually by sitting on them, shoving their head into the hole they dug, while throwing dirt on their head/in their face, while yelling NO DIG, NO DIG about 20 times...swatting their butts a few times too.
Never took more than 2 lessons with any of our dogs.
What a great hidden video THAT would make, huh?
Same with getting in the trash can......slide can OVER their head,hold dog in place, then slapping the can, while yelling NO, NO, NO....
Never took more than 2 lessons........again!

NEVER EVER, call a dog to you, then punish it....because you have then punished it for obeying a command.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If someone filmed that you would go to jail.....

But same for me.. Done that several times.

Was hearing about a deal with a guy. Dog bites him he bites back and they called the cops.

I was LOL
Did the same to my pup. She never want to have a finger in her mouth after that.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Hot wire at 6 inches above the ground will usually stop them, or it did with ours.

Yep, cured ours as well a very small unit called a "Fido Shocker".. I very seldom turn the hot wire on anymore, our Dogs won't go near it even when its off..

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Hot wire at 6 inches above the ground will usually stop them, or it did with ours.

This worked for us. One of the dogs learned about the second jolt. Took the stupid one about a months worth of squealing and even after that he'd get into it again every now and again, but he was a special needs dog for real.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Electric wire works in most cases. Some dogs will learn when the wire is off or on. These smart dogs are a problem, if you don't want to leave the hot wire up and on permanently. I usually bury heavy gauge fencing or panel. I'll cut it about 18" wide and run it around the entire interior edge of the pen and cover it with several inches of dirt.

Last edited:

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor

This has worked well for me. Did have a run with a smart pup that figured out the fence box sound was related to the wire. Had to swap in a quiet box for a bit to cure it! :)

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any good ideas to deter a dog from digging under and out of a chain link fence?
Take away the keys to his power equipment...??...

413296675.jpg

Last edited:

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Shock collar and some patience. Immediate correction and lesson learned. Worked for digging, trash can raiding and chewing on the window sills. Just have to be ready for immediate correction...normally from some distance from the dog - not in the dog's immediate area.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I would concrete slab or concrete tile the kennel. Or, fill the hole with water and hold their head underwater in it for awhile.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Shock collar and some patience. Immediate correction and lesson learned. Worked for digging, trash can raiding and chewing on the window sills. Just have to be ready for immediate correction...normally from some distance from the dog - not in the dog's immediate area.

This can work as well, I would turn it ALL the way up too cause you want the dog to get the point. I tried it once, hid on the roof of the shed but I wasn't patient enough.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got a little Beagle/Jack Russell mix that I rescued, he'd figure a way out of Alcatraz. I ran two new fences, he'd find a way. I remember when it happened. I found another escape attempt and put them in the kennel. I'd already gone to 4" Noclimb so I added a hot fence with a small charger. Shortly after I let'em out he went back to finish the tunnel. I heard him yelp and when he came around the corner of the house he was gettin' another gear. Ain't left since.....

THHEAT

Twelve Pointer
Pretty much what 41Magnum said. Check out the book by W.R. Koehler on K9 training great read for training and discipline issues.

kyle7630

Twelve Pointer

I second the hot wire. I stopped using chain link altogether. I went with four strands of hot wire many years ago and never looked back. Cheaper, easier to maintain, not as much of an eyesore, and very effective.