Things Unique About North Carolina

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
The people
I have hunted in NC a few times and can say the people are some of the best i have met, few examples
1.) gun permits didn't get approved for one years hunt, a fellow forum member loaned me 2 guns, someone i never met and who i wasn't hunting with
2.) have celebrated Thanksgiving dinner several times as one of the family
3.) drove over 12hrs to come to a BBQ and enjoy some great company

After a morning hunt which had to be cut short so we could dig into some hoop cheese biscuits and mountain dew

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Charlotte's airport has the prettiest women, anywhere!

LOL, It is a hub from NYC you know? But you need to spend more time in Vegas or LaGuardia lol.

Also, to add as I haven't seen it,

I have been to places in NC from Hangin Dog to Beaufort.

There are recognizable, in fact documented different dialects that exist seemingly in NC alone. That alone could probably be an entire study. Probably has been. People talk VERY different in different parts of our state!

Then, add Yankees into the mix.

If you picked say 5 people from the 5 most extreme parts of the state (DEEP mountains, DEEP obx, RURAL foothills, Rural piedmont, & Chapell Hill), I know I couldn't understand them all speaking the same paragraph.

Last edited:

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Whitewater Falls in Transylvania County is the highest waterfall in the eastern United States.
-Mount Mitchell in the Blue Ridge Mountains is the highest peak east of the Mississippi.
-Krispy Kreme Doughnut was founded in Winston-Salem
-The first miniature golf course was built in Fayetteville
-Fontana Dam is the tallest dam in the Eastern United States, at 480 feet high.
-Pepsi was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898.
-Beech Mountain is Eastern America's highest town at 5,506ft above sea level.
-Saluda, North Carolina is located at the top of the Saluda Grade. The crest of the steepest standard gauge mainline railroad in the United States.
-Graveyard of the Atlantic”

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
LOL, It is a hub from NYC you know? But you need to spend more time in Vegas or LaGuardia lol.

There are recognizable, in fact documented different dialects that exist seemingly in NC alone. That alone could probably be an entire study. Probably has been. People talk VERY different in different parts of our state!

If you picked say 5 people from the 5 most extreme parts of the state (DEEP mountains, DEEP obx, RURAL foothills, Rural piedmont, & Chapell Hill), I know I couldn't understand them all speaking the same paragraph.

You forgot some in Robeson county.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
You forgot some in Robeson county.

I have in laws from Johnston County that I can BARELY understand. Known them for 25 years. I bet they could go 12 counties away in either direction and local folks would have trouble understanding them. Folks can nail certain dialects down to regions (NE America, SE America, West Coast America). Then there's the umtold amount of different dialects just here in NC.

Glad I'm not an English teacher in this state!!!

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I bet they could go 12 counties away in either direction and local folks would have trouble understanding them.

I count about 19 counties touching east to west and minimum 4 touching south to north. Going 12 counties in either direction...yea, stirring. Lol

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns

You are 100% correct. There is so much difference, I can tell which town in my home county of Cabarrus people are from.

Last edited:

willb

Eight Pointer
if i am not mistaken there is more fauna growing in our state than any where else in the world. there are carnivorous plants at the coast that only grow there, tropical plants that grow in the southern states and there is plant life in the mountains that grow that range from native plants at the base to plants that would typically grow in Canada at the tips of our mountains.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
North Carolina is as far south as cranberries grow wild and as far north as palm trees grow wild.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
It's about as far south as you can go before you get into South Carolina and as far north as you can go before getting into Virginia. 😬

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Gotta give a shout out to Mr. Earnhardt #3, Mr. Jordan #23 and Mr. Teach... whatever number he was lol

I've done a little bit of traveling and I can honestly say there is no place like home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We are also home of the clowns of the Hillbilly Heist, The $17,000,000 Loomis Fargo robbery in Charlotte in 1997. It's amazing they made it 5 months with the stupid things they did with that money.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
We are also home of the clowns of the Hillbilly Heist, The $17,000,000 Loomis Fargo robbery in Charlotte in 1997. It's amazing they made it 5 months with the stupid things they did with that money.

If it hadn't been for the instant boob jobs and million dollar houses, I'd like to know how long they would have made it.

wl704

Ten Pointer
If it hadn't been for the instant boob jobs and million dollar houses, I'd like to know how long they would have made it.
My bet would be not long since they were also making bank deposits.

And we used to call them the apple dumpling gang (if you are old enough to remember the movie).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

Made a bank deposit with cash that still had Loomis Fargo bands on the money. A cousin played the role of the banker in a reenactment played on TV.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Made a bank deposit with cash that still had Loomis Fargo bands on the money. A cousin played the role of the banker in a reenactment played on TV.

After asking how much they can deposit before the Feds are notified and then telling the Teller "Don't worry, it's not drug money".

I need to see the movie. You can't make this stuff up!

oteixeira

Four Pointer
Did a tour of Fontana Dam a few year back. The locals are sure (and will swear it) that it was the backup location for government during the cold war, built completely inside the dam. While it may be hard to prove, it would make a great paper.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

State has actually documented the dialects unique to the state. It was a state fair exhibit some years ago.

something about cacalacky project?

here it is: https://news.ncsu.edu/tag/north-carolina-language-and-life-project/

Last edited:

LadyHunter

Button Buck
I am really glad I made this post! It not only gave me a lot of great ideas but I also learned a lot about our state that I never even knew about! One of the ideas that really stood out to me was things to do with our coast and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse! Thanks guys for all your feedback! Also thought I might post the final product on here! I think it turned out quite well! IMG_3823.jpg

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
And lets not forget that NC roads and highways serve a dual purpose. To get from point A to point B while tossing all of your garbage out the window. I've been to over 40 states and I'm proud to say that we here in NC are number one when it comes to being proud of our trash and wanting everyone to see it. ;) That should mean something.