Harvest data out

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang look at Hoke and Robeson, amazing they have the maximum anterless limits. Not that it will effect much in the long run, I'd bet the farm that young hunter recruitment is zilch in those counties ,,, tough area. I enjoyed hunting there though, beautiful woods.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Dang look at Hoke and Robeson, amazing they have the maximum anterless limits. Not that it will effect much in the long run, I'd bet the farm that young hunter recruitment is zilch in those counties ,,, tough area. I enjoyed hunting there though, beautiful woods.

Some WNC counties with shorter either-sex seasons and gun seasons out harvest them.

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
Antlered bucks in Forsyth listed at 4.64 per square mile. Second only to Mecklenburg. Wonder how they figure the square miles?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Vance is down from over 5/mile a few years ago but we're seeing more mature bucks than ever before.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wonder how they figure the square miles?

Good question.

In my particular County, I took the total land area (in square miles) and deducted the land area of all the cities and towns and came fairly close to the number presented in the data.

I suspect that if I had an accurate way to exclude the 1205 miles of roadway surfaces into the square mileage it might be pretty close.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ Interesting

I would think the county I live in varies greatly just within it's own boarder. Part of the county is in NF with much lower deer density compared to other parts of the county with livable deer habitat.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Good question.

In my particular County, I took the total land area (in square miles) and deducted the land area of all the cities and towns and came fairly close to the number presented in the data.

I suspect that if I had an accurate way to exclude the 1205 miles of roadway surfaces into the square mileage it might be pretty close.

From my understanding you are on spot. It is calculated on the available habitat.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Heck look at Grahm can you imagine only 12 deer off private ground in a season which so much of county is public but still 12 glad there are plenty squirrels

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like a lot of counties were down . I am guessing the massive acorn crop had a lot to do with that. Yesterday while turkey hunting up in Rockingham county, I could still see acorns on the ground.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Looks like a lot of counties were down . I am guessing the massive acorn crop had a lot to do with that. Yesterday while turkey hunting up in Rockingham county, I could still see acorns on the ground.

Side note to this. I killed a bird on pisgah last week and his craw was slap full of red oak acorn halves.

Game is still getting a full belly on that crazy acorn crop from last year.
Kinda shoots through the mantra that they're already rotten by spring.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Side note to this. I killed a bird on pisgah last week and his craw was slap full of red oak acorn halves.

Same thing 2 springs ago the 2 I killed were full acorns ignored fields found them in woods after heavy fall mast crop. Thing about Pisgah it don't have enough deer to eat all them nuts

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
What I get from this? I want to hunt Ashe county. I grew up deer hunting in the mountains and love and miss it. Good harvest data and mountains!

Speed1

Eight Pointer

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the red oak species don't sprout until the following spring. They have a high amount of tannic acid to deter critters from eating them. But please don't quote me on that, I surely am not a biologist, lol. That could explain the not rotten part.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Makes sense they've got something in them.
If you crack open a fresh red oak acorn and a fresh white oak acorn and taste the nut, the white oak is sweet and the red oak is sour as heck.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/deer-harvest-report-shows-78-percent-decrease-from-previous-season
RALEIGH, N.C. (April 25, 2017) – During the 2016-2017 hunting season, hunters across the state reported harvesting 149,811 deer, a 7.8 percent decrease from the previous season. The amount of deer harvested was 11.2 percent below the 10-year average. The survey showed that harvests declined across all districts, ranging from 1.2 percent in District 9 to 14.1 percent in District 5.