Crossbows starting to take over

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In 2016-2017 harvest horizontal bows are starting to exceed vertical bows in the harvest in several counties.

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Makes sense right? It's easier to shoot=more folks shooting deer with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
In 2016-2017 harvest horizontal bows are starting to exceed vertical bows in the harvest in several counties.

I'm guessing the increase in X-Bows is due to gun hunters wanting to take advantage of the early bow season.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not hard to figure out that was going to happen.
Won't be hard to figure out that tag limits are going to drop at some point, and this will be one of the factors.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NC wants a high doe harvest and this was a great move by the WRC to accomplish this.

Kudos to the General Assembly to repealing the permit requirement for buying a crossbow.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
WV used to only allow crossbows during the archery season for anyone who had trouble using their back/arms, and everyone was fine with that, then in 2015 it became legal for anyone to hunt with them. Since then the bow harvest has gone way up. Because a vertical bow takes practice, you have to get drawn with deer nearby, and requires an amount of strength. An Xbow is basically a close range rifle that anyone can shoot. I don't have a problem with people hunting with crossbows, but I can't say I'm a fan of it during the archery season.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For the states with a tag out system, what difference does it make what a person uses to accomplish that goal?
If the ratio of successful hunters goes up, adjust the tag system....seems almost so simple a caveman could do it.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
The only place this should be a concern would be any public land, clubs already have rules in place, private property owners also have their personal regulations in place, be glad the government doesn't start to regulate based off of some of the club rules. This is in no means a shot to any club rule out there, your land = your right to manage how you see fit

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
WV used to only allow crossbows during the archery season for anyone who had trouble using their back/arms, and everyone was fine with that, then in 2015 it became legal for anyone to hunt with them. Since then the bow harvest has gone way up. Because a vertical bow takes practice, you have to get drawn with deer nearby, and requires an amount of strength. An Xbow is basically a close range rifle that anyone can shoot. I don't have a problem with people hunting with crossbows, but I can't say I'm a fan of it during the archery season.

I've never had a problem with crossbows for those who aren't capable of using compound, I think it a bit of a stretch as well to include them in archery season for those who are physically capable.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I think we should be able to bow hunt with buck shot since the range and noise is about the same [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I've never had a problem with compounds for those who aren't capable of using recurves, I think it a bit of a stretch as well to include them in archery season for those who are physically capable.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have no problems with it and look forward to taking one this year with my crossBOW. :)

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You really shouldn't have deleted those replies woodmoose. They were spot on accurate and several people need to read them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

well of course. when does easy ever not trump hard?

I love my xrifle. i have no desire to return to a vertical bow.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Do you have any data showing crossbows sell more licenses? I would guess more already licensed hunters are using them.

No but I read articles about new and young hunters taking up crossbows because they consider them easier to use than vertical bows.

If you want to go hunting but can't discharge a rifle or shotgun on your land, crossbow legalization might be a reason to finally get a license.

Last edited: