Crossbows starting to take over

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
arent they wonderful?

Are they? That's a serious question. I've never shot an Excalibur. Just like for the vertical bows, compound bows provide a much smaller draw weight due to the mechanical advantage of the pulleys. Consider two crossbows with a 335 fps velocity. The Excalibur Micro 335 has a 270 lb draw weight. The Ten Point Renegade has a 165 lb draw weight. How hard is it to :donk:donk:donk:donk an Excalibur? It seems a number of hunter start using crossbows due to arm or shoulder injuries. Do those injuries cause problems with extra effort needed to :donk:donk:donk:donk an Excalibur? I like the simplicity of the Excalibur and the ability to replace your own string. But that 270 lb. draw weight is a concern.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Are they? That's a serious question. I've never shot an Excalibur. Just like for the vertical bows, compound bows provide a much smaller draw weight due to the mechanical advantage of the pulleys. Consider two crossbows with a 335 fps velocity. The Excalibur Micro 335 has a 270 lb draw weight. The Ten Point Renegade has a 165 lb draw weight. How hard is it to :donk:donk:donk:donk an Excalibur? It seems a number of hunter start using crossbows due to arm or shoulder injuries. Do those injuries cause problems with extra effort needed to :donk:donk:donk:donk an Excalibur? I like the simplicity of the Excalibur and the ability to replace your own string. But that 270 lb. draw weight is a concern.

My 175lb I can barely draw using my hands. With the cocking cables it takes maybe 50lbs or less since they are using leverage. The 270lb might be a little tougher for someone with injuries.

willb

Eight Pointer
I've never had a problem with compounds for those who aren't capable of using recurves, I think it a bit of a stretch as well to include them in archery season for those who are physically capable.

i fall back on the compound just for a peace of mind to know i could shoot one a little further distance and thread the needle if i have to.

willb

Eight Pointer
i fall back on the vertical compound just for a peace of mind to know i could shoot one a little further distance and thread the needle if i have to.