Need advice. House ants

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
First summer with these little pesky ants. Any sound advice for treating them. I have a pesticide license to buy the products but not sure I want to treat the inside of my home with a 18month old running around licking baseboards.
What works?
The baits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Curious myself as to what people suggest. Have been waging war against them for a while...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want to make a home made bait boric acid and confectioners sugar will get them. You still don't want a child eating that though.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
1 part baking soda,1 part powdered sugar in a jar lid,powdered sugar attracts them baking soda kills them.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm sure some of the homemade baits work, but I just use the product called Terro. It works perfectly and I buy it at Lowe's.

If you can find where they're coming in on the outside, bait them there and refresh the baits often. For outside applications, I just put the bait directly on the surface they're using. If not, bait them at the entry point inside the house. I know it seems counter-intuitive to encourage them to come inside your house, but they won't go any farther than the bait site once they find it. For inside applications, I put the drops on little pieces of cut up business cards.

As to methodology, I like to put out half a dozen bait sites in very close proximity to each other as I want to expose as many ants as possible to the bait. It takes a couple of days but they will be gone soon enough.

Last edited:

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Treat the outside and crawl space,looking for pipes and electrical wires as their entry points.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure some of the homemade baits work, but I just use the product called Terro. It works perfectly and I buy it at Lowe's.

If you can find where they're coming in on the outside, bait them there and refresh the baits often. For outside applications, I just put the bait directly on the surface they're using. If not, bait them at the entry point inside the house. I know it seems counter-intuitive to encourage them to come inside your house, but they won't go any farther than the bait site once they find it. For inside applications, I put the drops on little pieces of cut up business cards.

As to methodology, I like to put out half a dozen bait sites in very close proximity to each other as I want to expose as many ants as possible to the bait. It takes a couple of days but they will be gone soon enough.

+1 for this stuff.

3rcalloway

Six Pointer
Terro for inside. Then I mixed permethrin and bifen and sprayed all around my foundation. Haven't had any problems since

Last edited:

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Go to southern states and get I think it tal star and spray it around the outside the doors and any openings and behind areas that can't be touched by your kind. Really works.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Go to southern states and get I think it tal star and spray it around the outside the doors and any openings and behind areas that can't be touched by your kind. Really works.

Second for tal star. Great to spray yard with as well. Kills about every insect.

Also big fan of terro.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer

I use this product also, does a great job.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer

Second this and it does work!!!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I spray Ortho Home Defense around the entire perimeter of the house, inside at baseboards and outside on the underpinning/foundation, but I don't have small children to worry about. No bugs. If you do see one it's always legs up and dying.....

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Spray only kills the ones that cross it and isn't affective on ants. Pros will tell you bait the colony is the only way to wipe them out.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
X2 on treating outside the house. When used correctly amdro is cheap and effective. For the inside, our pest manager at work uses amdro gel. Of course he has a structural pest license and can by that formulation I'm not 100% sure you can get it without that endorsement on your license.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

Talstar x1000. Best stuff I've ever used, can be ordered online.

Terro is great for ants, Talstar will kill everything that crosses it, is water resistant, will last for months, is extremely cost efficient, and can be used indoors. The Terro packets only work where they are placed, Talstar can be sprayed everywhere.

Last edited: