harvest from hunters using dogs

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Why are 5 counties that don't allow deer hunting with dogs included in this data? Before you say they are allowed by the state but local laws supersede and ban deer hunting with dogs, tell me why Chatham county was included. Now you may know way houndsmen are suspicious of the NCWRC.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Why are 5 counties that don't allow deer hunting with dogs included in this data? Before you say they are allowed by the state but local laws supersede and ban deer hunting with dogs, tell me why Chatham county was included. Now you may know way houndsmen are suspicious of the NCWRC.

All counties are included.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
OK I did not scroll down, but why would the NCWRC include all 100 counties in "Use by dog" data.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Just a couple of quick comments. I want to look at these numbers a little closer. But with just over 12% of total harvest being dog hunting hard to see how we can be blamed for so many issues about trophy management and such. I was stunned that basically the same % of dog harvest was button bucks as still hunting kills. These numbers sure paint a different picture than what a lot of folks claim. Interested to see the discussion on this one.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Id like to see the nunber of small bucks with visible antlers? Hard to see a big difference in button bucks. Button bucks and does can be quite similar for either group when shooting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Just a couple of quick comments. I want to look at these numbers a little closer. But with just over 12% of total harvest being dog hunting hard to see how we can be blamed for so many issues about trophy management and such. I was stunned that basically the same % of dog harvest was button bucks as still hunting kills. These numbers sure paint a different picture than what a lot of folks claim. Interested to see the discussion on this one.

Some dog hunters in 2000 claimed they could not tell a buck from a doe when a statewide 2 buck limit was proposed.

It got a head shake from the NCWRC deer biologists at the time but commissioners rejected a 2 buck limit for dog hunting counties.

In 2006 when a 2 buck limit was proposed and enacted for piedmont counties that allow dog hunting, that argument had fallen out of favor.