Anybody ever seen a 2yr gobbler old do this?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took my buddy up to Rockingham county this morning. Get there and the drizzle and fog is keeping the birds hushed up. About 7:30 I finally got a bird to gobble across the creek for us. The bird was at least 500+ yards away. My buddy looks at me and says that bird is too far away. I do a 'hold my beer' moment :D and actually luck up and get the bird coming to us. Well the bird is crossing the creek, gobbles and is less than 80 yards away and I am thinking he is in the bag just then to my right another gobbler gobbles way off 400 yards away down the creek.. then a hen starts yelping. He must have been the boss because our bird moves away from us and farther away from the boss gobbler but he still gobbles occasionally. We moved on the bird and got behind him. Finally after 1 hour of moving and calling, I get the bird to commit. Here he comes we can see him :cool:, the boss gobbler has not gobbled recently and my buddy has the gun up. Well behind us at least another 400 to 500 yards a different bird gobbles down the opposite end of the creek.... He gobbles 3 times in a row. I watch our 2 yr old gobbler with maybe a 9 inch beard change course and he makes a bee line heading towards the other gobbler that just gobbled 3 times. I could have shot the bird from where I was at but my buddy could not see the bird when he passed. That bird went away gobbling heading towards the other gobbler. Never heard that other bird gobble again.
I have never seen a bird do that. Sure was fun though. He sure gobbled a lot when he got some distance between him and the boss gobbler.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
he been whopped on in March and learned his place next time he may come in silent. Of course you never know with these crazy birds early this season had 2 2 year olds let a lone jake stand with a hen for 30 minutes and gobble while the 2 stayed 40 yards or so away and the 2 finally walkd away with another hen you would have never thought they would have stood for that

robertc

Eight Pointer
Hey jug, I see from your report that you did locate a few birds in Rockingham County. Looks like to me they were just doing what turkeys would do. Buddy told me the other day they got feet they go where they want to. It made plenty of sense. I had an outdoor writer hunting with me since Thursday. We had three days of getting into the birds , yesterday have one in it 30 yards unable to seal the deal. Hopefully your buddy will be successful soon. Good luck at the Rock.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am just guessing by the length of his beard and the way he would gobble. He would gobble alot at everything. I have called up 2 yr old birds that did that before. None of them ever had over an inch spurs. This was the first one that acted this way though. His beard might have been 8 to 9 inches maybe.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Some thing pretty close happened to us last weekend in Moore county. Had a couple of birds gobbling back and forth at each other. They would not respond to any yelping or cutting NOTHING.. One gobble and they would go to hammering at each other. My son and I were down on the creek and I winked at him and we went to gobbling with box call and a shaker and wouldn't you know it, here they came. Had him with in shooting range, just could not see him. Could hear him walking thru the leaves and drumming. Twice I saw his fan, just could not find his head. Great hunt just no kill. I don't really know how old he was, but if I could have seen his head.. he would have found out what 400 degree oil felt like..

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just curious. How do you know he's a 2 year old?
Wolfman... I forgot to mention the bird would only half strut. He would not go into a full strut something I have seen 2 yr old birds do. I guess they get whipped for strutting . He half strutted for us twice and stopped once for the decoy but he acted like he lost the desire for female companionship and went to see what that other gobbler was wanting.... I never seen an older gobbler do that.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't watch it, but heard it happen last year. 3 gobbling birds all came together, and walked away together.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have seen that happen couple times...they get to gobbling back and forth at each other and getting closer together and then all stops. Like they haven't seen each other in a while.