First bird 2017

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
My best buddy let me visit and turkey hunt for a few days last week. All the while telling me he's neither seen nor heard any birds and has none showing up on his game cams. I'm out the door at 6:30am Monday morning and I walk a few hundred yards up his driveway and blow my owl call. I thought I heard one but wasn't sure so I blow it again. This time I hear a nice gobble but it is the opposite way I was headed. I hustled around a big wheat field and started down a path that should take me around where I heard the gobble. As I go I stop and use my box call to find the bird but I hear nothing. I keep going and in a few minutes I hear a gobble but at what I do not know. I heard an owl call and he gobbled at it. Then I hear a woodpecker and he gobbles again. I'm pretty sure he's just over a rise so I leave the path and cut through the woods til I'm just below the top of it. I'll admit right now I was a bit nervous but the bird kept gobbling and it sounded like it was walking away then back in my direction. So I found a big tree, since I'm a big guy, and set up my turkey lounge chair and put my old hen decoy about ten yards in front of me and to my left. I settled in and got out my lil deuce slate and called a few times. The bird was gobbling at me, at the woodpecker and at something I couldn't hear. I called a few more times and suddenly it was quiet. I put the call down and put my 410 up on my knee pointed in the direction I thought he'd come. And he did come straight at me only about a minute later in full strut but not gobbling at all. At about 25 yards he saw my decoy and went straight for it. When he went behind a tree I ease the gun over and picked him up in the sight when he emerged on the other side. I knew if it got any closer it would probably see me so I took the shot. It knocked him backwards and he only flopped once before going still. After a few seconds to calm my racing heart I stepped off 18 paces to the bird and checked him out. He's no monster at around 19 pounds with a beard over 11 inches and 3/8 inch spurs but he was the first one I ever located on my own and called in close enough for a shot and made it. I know some of you may think its silly but this was the best turkey hunt of my life and I have my best bud to thank for introducing me to the sport and for mentoring me along the way. I feel like I've made him proud and that is something I can really appreciate. I will remember this one for a very long time.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Great job! And it always feels good to have done it all on your own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
6:30? What were you waiting on? :)

Congratulation on a great bird.

He has been hanging around me too much OS. The sucker called me at 7AM and woke me up asking if I heard him shoot. LOL.
And congrats to you as well on a fine bird. Saw your post on the kill thread.