Red dot or Scope?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally, what I tend to prefer depends on the type of hunting I'm doing, the gun/cartridge being used and the distance game is likely to be encountered.

When still-hunting and encountering deer at close range (under 50 yards), I much prefer iron sights or a red-dot. For general purpose use with shots occurring inside of 75 yards, a red-dot or scope will do. For stand hunting with shooting distances routinely being over 75 yards, I want a scope.

Again, these are subjective choices based on my successes and failures and my particular hunting style.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Personally, what I tend to prefer depends on the type of hunting I'm doing, the gun/cartridge being used and the distance game is likely to be encountered.

When still-hunting and encountering deer at close range (under 50 yards), I much prefer iron sights or a red-dot. For general purpose use with shots occurring inside of 75 yards, a red-dot or scope will do.

50yds or less with 6" .357 using Underwood 180's.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
50yds or less with 6" .357 using Underwood 180's.

I think a red-dot will be hard to beat, but I've killed 8 or 9 deer with just iron sights under those very same circumstances. The RDS just works better in low light.

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I love my vortex venom that I use on my super Blackhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You'll love it! I killed one last year with it. So much fun. I love hunting with different weapons. Keeps things fresh through the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I use both but if I had to choose just one I'd go with a regular fixed power handgun scope. They have better low light capabilities than the vast majority of red dot sights I have used. No batteries to die or on/off and dot intensity settings to fidget with either.

<>< Fish

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I personally prefer a good 4X scope for the extra magnification and light gathering ability in the woods...and it lets me use the same pistol for up close out to 100 yards with good accuracy and without changing things up.

richard11989

Red dot and holo sights work great on handguns and small caliber rifles on close range targets. Red dot and holo sights were usually mounted on magazine fed, fast shooting sem-autos but there're always exceptions. For those who are good with their double action revolvers, red dots or holo sights will work great. Red dots could also be used on shotguns too. Red dots will give you speed and fast target acquisition on close range targets. You could also follow a fast moving target better at close range with a red dot.

A scope will be better for extended range shooting and/or precision shooting. Many hunting rifles and handguns use a scope because it made accurate shots at longer ranges easier.

dsink

Eight Pointer
Burris 2x-7x pistol scope for me. I like being able to turn it up to 7X while at the range working up loads then the lower setting while hunting.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer a scope for handguns, I could never get a consistent hold using a red dot. I also prefer the scope because it allows more "real" light than the tube style red dots do.
I do prefer a red dot on my turkey gun though...

thirtywide

Six Pointer
I got a Glock 40 gen4 in 10mm with a Burris red dot last year this will be my first year hunting with it but I did a lot of research before getting it so based on that I think it will do fine