The TSS Revolution

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Page 87 of the current Turkey Country magazine, "Hawglips", A North Carolina turkey chaser who know as much about tss as anybody"............ The man himself, the nationally recognized tss guru. I sure am glad I know him. There is another NC guy mentioned in the article but I don't know him personally so don't know if he is a forum member or not. Will be nice to know if he is.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I'm relatively new to the Revolution but I am a true believer in TSS. I have used it on three successful turkey hunts with another one coming up next week that I hope will turn out the same way. So LTS do you think you can get me an autographed copy?

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Been shooting it for 4 years. Stuff works for real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
It really knocks them down,it has saved some hunts for us this year. Never seen a shot so tiny break bone and penetrate like it does.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
New to forum. Been on Hevi shot. Nitro train for years ready to put my 835 down for a smaller mule. Just bought a stoeger 3020 with IC choke compatable with TSS.If not what would be a good option

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
If you are talking what gun, about anything will do. It all depends on what you are trying to do and what your personal limits are. Personally, and by this I mean it is what I do and has nothing to do with what anyone else wants to do, I have been using either a Winchester 37 or a Stevens 311 .410. Just the plane old gun, no special choke or anything. I have full confidence that I can kill a turkey at 40 yds. with either. Having said that, I have yet to take a 40 yard shot because the game, for me, is to get the bird in as close as I can before taking the shot. So, #9 TSS is a 40 yard turkey killer from a .410 and I don't doubt people's claims of 60+ yard kills with the right gun. Just not for me.

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
New to forum. Been on Hevi shot. Nitro train for years ready to put my 835 down for a smaller mule. Just bought a stoeger 3020 with IC choke compatable with TSS.If not what would be a good option

HS strut makes the Undertaker for Heavy shot. My son is using the Federal Heavy #7s in his 20ga 870 and that combo is the real deal!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If you are talking what gun, about anything will do. It all depends on what you are trying to do and what your personal limits are. Personally, and by this I mean it is what I do and has nothing to do with what anyone else wants to do, I have been using either a Winchester 37 or a Stevens 311 .410. Just the plane old gun, no special choke or anything. I have full confidence that I can kill a turkey at 40 yds. with either. Having said that, I have yet to take a 40 yard shot because the game, for me, is to get the bird in as close as I can before taking the shot. So, #9 TSS is a 40 yard turkey killer from a .410 and I don't doubt people's claims of 60+ yard kills with the right gun. Just not for me.

60 yards with a 12ga is a routine shot with TSS and some patterning effort.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Also I am wondering what the difference is in the Federal Heavy #7's and the TSS?

Federal Heavyweight shot is 15 grams per cubic centimeter. TSS is 18 g/cc. TSS is even denser than the federal shot so it allows for even smaller shot size like 9's to be extremely effective.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thank you for the info. I am looking to have a solid 20 gauge for 40 yrds. Sounds like TSS is the best route. Researched and heard Nitro may be getting into it. If anybody has access to Tss loads I would appreciate more info. Also sounds like Fed. #7 are pretty lethal but Indian Creek Chokes will not hold up to them. Would factory non-ported be an option?

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I use the primos jellly head with TSS. I would assume any choke approved for hevi shot would work.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With the wads we are using to load theses shells and the added protection of the mylar wraps in the wad I wouldn't be scared to shoot it through any choke. I would caution you that you don't want to constrict it as tight as lead though in most cases

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thank you for the info. I am looking to have a solid 20 gauge for 40 yrds. Sounds like TSS is the best route. Researched and heard Nitro may be getting into it. If anybody has access to Tss loads I would appreciate more info. Also sounds like Fed. #7 are pretty lethal but Indian Creek Chokes will not hold up to them. Would factory non-ported be an option?
PM Hawglips. He will sell you the TSS and give you load data etc... His Tungsten prices are great unless you order a bunch directly from China. (Good luck with that)

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Also I am wondering what the difference is in the Federal Heavy #7's and the TSS?

The difference is the density of the shot. TSS is 20% denser than Fed Hwt, and 50% denser than hevishot.

Here's a comparison of popular shot types:

steel : 8g/cc
lead: 11g/cc
hevishot: 12g/cc
Fed Hwt: 15g/cc
TSS; 18g/cc

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The difference is the density of the shot. TSS is 20% denser than Fed Hwt, and 50% denser than hevishot.

Here's a comparison of popular shot types:

steel : 8g/cc
lead: 11g/cc
hevishot: 12g/cc
Fed Hwt: 15g/cc
TSS; 18g/cc

So, if all else is equal, Fed Heavyweight should perform better than Hevi-Shot?

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you use the right sizes. There's always the trade-off between pattern density and pellet penetration energy.

I'm not sure I understand. Which should perform better in 12GA 3" #7 shot. Fed HW or Hevi-Shot?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm not sure I understand. Which should perform better in 12GA 3" #7 shot. Fed HW or Hevi-Shot?
Federals if they shoot in your gun and both are 7 shot size. Heavy 13 #6 would give same penetration as the federal 7s or pretty close.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Page 87 of the current Turkey Country magazine, "Hawglips", A North Carolina turkey chaser who know as much about tss as anybody"............ The man himself, the nationally recognized tss guru. I sure am glad I know him. There is another NC guy mentioned in the article but I don't know him personally so don't know if he is a forum member or not. Will be nice to know if he is.

well deserved recognition for a innovator and educator on better turkey loads. Hal has endured grief from skeptics yet stayed the course.and he was correct from the get go. TSS is a better tool for killing turkeys.

There are a ton of folks in this country who can thank him for making the sport better. Count me in that group.

Congratulation Hal.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
well deserved recognition for a innovator and educator on better turkey loads. Hal has endured grief from skeptics yet stayed the course.and he was correct from the get go. TSS is a better tool for killing turkeys.

There are a ton of folks in this country who can thank him for making the sport better. Count me in that group.

Congratulation Hal.
Yes sir! Hal is the man, a million thanks for all the help and questions answered.