Chemo for dog?

Gilly

Ten Pointer
So sorry for your loss Mark! I have a somewhat similar situation with my dog who is only 3 years old. She doesnt have cancer (yet) but has a very aggressive infiltrative lipoma behind her right front leg that is beginning to impact her walking/running. We had it removed or as much as they could get, last July as it was about the size of a softball. After not even a year, it has ballooned into the size of a football. A local vet wants to remove it, plus some ribs, plus chemo and we did not want to put her through all of that (~$10,000). We are going to have the bulk removed again at NCSU but we do not want her to go through chemo. Plus the cost/benefit analysis doesnt seem to be worth it. It seems your dog didnt last long on it and I have heard other stories about the horrible effects it has on these dogs. Again Im sorry for your loss as my wife and I tear up just talking about her having to have surgery again and the likelihood of her most likely not around in a couple years.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry to hear about Dana its tough saying goodbye to your best friend..Been there many times myself its never easy to give them up even when its the right thing to do..

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I understand your pain. I had to put down a very healthy 4 year old. It hurts. It does get better. There are lots of dogs out there that need a kind and loving owner like you.

Sage advice. I posted here after my almost 17 year old standard poodle passed. I also bawled my eyes out. However, not more then a few weeks later I adopted two more rescue dogs. One was sickly, malnourished and had heart warm. The other was a giant ball of spunk and goofiness. Now nearly three years later, they have a new lease on life. From death row to easy street.
Take the time to grieve but consider spreading your compassion to some lucky dogs.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
we let a vet in Gastonia talk us into giving chemo to our 12 1/2 yr old choc lab......he should have been disbarred for even suggesting it......poor baby had the worst last days of her life peeing on herself and not being able to walk outside to use the bathroom...was more my fault than his, but I will never use that vet again for anything.....I feel like I let my dog down by listening to this idiot.....he got fat to the tune of $4k or so and our dog went through hell

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I am sorry for your loss. Our 14 year old lab recently went to rest. Was the hardest thing I have ever done. Just last night my 7 yr old daughter cried again for 45 minutes because she misses Dakota. I pray you and your family can recover from the loss soon.

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I appreciate all the kind words. I have cried for 3 days now, quite embarrassing at work.... I have never been this sad before. (Guess it's good tho as both parents and grandparents alive).

I will say that we do not think the chemo killed our dog. She was too far sick prior to starting the drugs. My wife is very astute with the meds/Drs as she is a biologist herself. In addition to cancer; our primary vet thinks our dog showed signs of something else bad happening with her adrenal glands.
Obviously, whether to try chemo on your own animal is up to the parents. It does not cure, but only possibly extends life.

We have our Great Dane still, who is currently enjoying all the extra love he is getting! We may think of a 2nd dog and/or fostering dogs. Some of our friends currently foster pets... Or, we may have kids !?!?