My 2017 Turkey Season - Tagged out!

NC Beagle Man

Four Pointer
2017 has been an odd turkey season but I was very blessed to tag out for the 3rd year in a row! Birds seemed to move to different parts of our club this year and the additional pressure from more turkey hunters has made them more challenging to hunt.

My first bird was a text book morning hunt off the roost. I roosted the bird the evening before and he was all alone so I knew my chances were good. The next morning I got in early and close and placed a jake and hen decoy out in front of me about 125 yards down the woods edge from where I roosted him the night before. When the woods came to life that morning I heard a more dominant gobbler deeper in and he gobbled about 150 times that morning but I only heard my bird gobble about 10 times. I tree yelped to him a couple times and he cut me off each time. After he flew down he went silent and so did I and about 20 minutes later he came in drumming right to the jake decoy and beat him up pretty good. After watching him put on a show I couldn't stand it anymore and gave him a dirt nap!

Double Beard 10 inch and 6 inch and 3/4 inch spurs

IMG_5542_zpskkmviwsw.jpeg

IMG_5544_zpsni4nls70.jpg

My second bird was this past weekend and I didn't take him until 10:30 in the morning. After my first spot turned out to be a dud (no gobbles) I moved to a different farm that I had seen some birds on in the past week and again...... nothing. I decided to stop at the store and get a drink and ride to see if I could spot one nearby. After riding a few minutes I spotted a nice gobbler and his hens crossing the road going into one of the farms our club leases. I let them cross and waited for them to go on in the woods before making my move. I knew where they were going as there was a old logging road that led to another field. I cut around them and setup on the logging road a couple hundred yards in front of them. No decoys and no calling. First the hens walked right by me at about 10 yards and then big boy came around the corner and met his maker! So blessed to tag out again and getting to share my harvest with my soon to be 3 year old daughter.

10 1/2 inch beard 1 1/4 spurs

IMG_5629_zpsio31iqqq.png

IMG_5621_zpsbyzzrgvd.jpg

IMG_5626_zpspzrokvse.jpg

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
good season indeed congrats won't be long before that little one will be ready to go I remember her jumping in my pics to they make for the best ones